I was not expecting that.

SparxOne

Excited by this chopper yet disappointed to understand that we won't be able to fly it before June. As stated in the announcement "We look forward to sharing more information closer to the Early Access RELEASE IN LATE Q2 2021". Late Q2 to me sounds like mid June minimum...

And i thought we'd see that thing roaming the skies early Q1 2021 😞

That's another 3 month waiting... Damn, the wait is long after we were pretty left understanding it would be flyable in EA by early 2021.

Either way, i guess it's better to wait for a "decent" product rather than a premature one.

Fly the Mi-8 in the meantime 🙂 

... wonder where you saw that "early Q1 2021" date ..  on early January the release date was already Q2 2021, and it seemed right to me, given all the delays that the happy 2020 year forced upon almost every development plan.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Fly the Mi-8 in the meantime 🙂 

... wonder where you saw that "early Q1 2021" date ..  on early January the release date was already Q2 2021, and it seemed right to me, given all the delays that the happy 2020 year forced upon almost every development plan.

I could be wrong, havn't done a research to confirm it, but i strongly feel like i've read an official statement whether here or on a youtube video (And by official statement i mean reading something from an ED employe) back when the helicopter was first talked about in August-September 2020, and if i'm not mistaken, the statement said there was high hopes to see it around the end of the year and/or latest Q1 2021. Or a statement during the period between August and December, basically during that entire period leading to the end of the year.

I do not own the Mi-8 and don't plan on buying it unfortunately. I'd rather buy modules i'm planning to spend lots of time in, rather than many whom i'm not so much interested in flying on the long run.

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

Well, technically we are seeing it 'roaming the skies' in Q1 2020 - it is just that we're not in the pilot's seat! 🙂 But there is video going around! You can see, but you cannot touch 😄

Haha yeah technically that thing is already flying behind the curtain, too bad that will remain so until June 😬😛

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SparxOne said:

I do not own the Mi-8 and don't plan on buying it unfortunately.

I purchased mine on a sale, on October 2016, for US$ 20 each (a 2x1 offer along with the Gazelle), but didn't learn to fly her until this year, mostly because I kept delaying the purchase of rudder pedals ... the upcoming Mi-24 gave me enough impetus to finally take the plunge and spend 400 Euros on a VirPil set (including the shipping), this one:

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-ace-flight-pedals.html

hopefully they will be back in stock soon 🙏 and then VirPil will dispatch mine. 

Clearly, the cost of the software is a minor item, when compared to the cost of the hardware .. but no one rants about that, seems it is cooler to rant about the US$ 80 that the Viper or Hornet costs.

Cheers.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

22 minutes ago, Jester986 said:

Everything is always delayed. Dates are targets, including late Q2. Manage expectations accordingly and take it into account when prepuchasing that it could be delayed again.

Yeah no doubt about that, was really just mentioning it and the fact that i was disappointed or just sad about having to wait more. The fact that i made a post about it probably makes it sound like i'm trying to whyne or something, not really, probably did that in the heat of my sad feelings 😬😋 

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

I purchased mine on a sale, on October 2016, for US$ 20 each (a 2x1 offer along with the Gazelle), but didn't learn to fly her until this year, mostly because I kept delaying the purchase of rudder pedals ... the upcoming Mi-24 gave me enough impetus to finally take the plunge and spend 400 Euros on a VirPil set (including the shipping), this one:

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-ace-flight-pedals.html

hopefully they will be back in stock soon 🙏 and then VirPil will dispatch mine. 

Clearly, the cost of the software is a minor item, when compared to the cost of the hardware .. but no one rants about that, seems it is cooler to rant about the US$ 80 that the Viper or Hornet costs.

Cheers.

Yeah i could agree that buying them on sales at such low prices would make it worth for the time i'd spend on them. But i still prefer keeping away from buying a module i'm not so interested in just to have a few flights. If i buy something, it is for a reason, and because i am 100% willing to use it plenty 🙂 It's not really about the money, but the mindset of not falling into the habit of buying everything and anything because i can afford it. I wouldn't buy a bicycle if i were to ride it 5 times a year, even though i could totally afford it, it simply isn't reasonable to me 😉

I've been thinking for long about buying some Virpil hardware but always kept myself away from it for 2 reasons, 1st : Never found the proper time to do it as i felt it wasn't totally necessary for the amount of hours i was spending flying during certain periods of the year. I'm not on DCS regularly, i have periods on which i'll fly everyday for a month or 2 than drop out for a few other months, that and considering the cost of those hardware that are very expensive, it just just never seemed reasonable to spend the money.

2nd : The whole virpil hasle of actually being able to buy something in stock plus the time it takes to proceed the order and receive it, reading the virpil forum and seeing how much hasle most users had to go through to get their things really kept me away from making the step. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SparxOne said:

Yeah no doubt about that, was really just mentioning it and the fact that i was disappointed or just sad about having to wait more. The fact that i made a post about it probably makes it sound like i'm trying to whyne or something, not really, probably did that in the heat of my sad feelings 😬😋 

Yeah i could agree that buying them on sales at such low prices would make it worth for the time i'd spend on them. But i still prefer keeping away from buying a module i'm not so interested in just to have a few flights. If i buy something, it is for a reason, and because i am 100% willing to use it plenty 🙂 It's not really about the money, but the mindset of not falling into the habit of buying everything and anything because i can afford it. I wouldn't buy a bicycle if i were to ride it 5 times a year, even though i could totally afford it, it simply isn't reasonable to me 😉

I've been thinking for long about buying some Virpil hardware but always kept myself away from it for 2 reasons, 1st : Never found the proper time to do it as i felt it wasn't totally necessary for the amount of hours i was spending flying during certain periods of the year. I'm not on DCS regularly, i have periods on which i'll fly everyday for a month or 2 than drop out for a few other months, that and considering the cost of those hardware that are very expensive, it just just never seemed reasonable to spend the money.

2nd : The whole virpil hasle of actually being able to buy something in stock plus the time it takes to proceed the order and receive it, reading the virpil forum and seeing how much hasle most users had to go through to get their things really kept me away from making the step. 

I just bought some MFG Crosswind rudder pedals and they are in a league of their own IMO.  They took 4 days to get to my door (middle Canada) from Croatia.  Also, the Mi8 is worth every penny when on sale.  I also got it for very cheap a few years back, but it is my favourite thing to fly in DCS (I have all the helis, A10C II, F18, Harrier, Sabre).  

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

4 hours ago, SparxOne said:

No problem, and my response wasn't meant to be critical. Its just you get cynical after five years of playing DCS. I understand why things get delayed and I prefer to have target dates than just being told "we'll get there when we get there". Its still frustrating though.

Note that the Mi-24 Hind is Pre-Sale, not Early Acces yet.

I made this mistake when I jumped in Pre-ordering, but it´s only a minor mistake, since this is a No-brainer buy for me.

I guess the Mosquito will come as Early Access together, or close after, version 1.2.7 OB is released, so I will be occupied for some time after that and until the Hind will arrive in Early Acces.

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

15 hours ago, aleader said:

I just bought some MFG Crosswind rudder pedals and they are in a league of their own IMO.... 

Hey, thanks for the tip!  Never heard of that brand.  Looks nice.  I bookmarked their site and will seriously consider when I end up opting for rudder pedals.  😎

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

30 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Hey, thanks for the tip!  Never heard of that brand.  Looks nice.  I bookmarked their site and will seriously consider when I end up opting for rudder pedals.  😎

I considered them for a while, but in the end the price difference with the Rudders from VirPil was not that large to justify replacing metallic construction with 3D resin, so I opted for the VirPil product instead of the MFG.

• Like 2

That brand is also bookmarked 😉

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

22 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I considered them for a while, but in the end the price difference with the Rudders from VirPil was not that large to justify replacing metallic construction with 3D resin, so I opted for the VirPil product instead of the MFG.

That's the same argument between the Warthog stick and VKB, but I am more concerned with the quality of the overall product and user experience.  The Crosswinds have been around for many years now, and I doubt you'll find anyone ever say a bad word about them...other than price of course.  Either pedals would be great, but the Crosswinds are actually in stock, unlike pretty much everything from Virpil.

23 hours ago, Mistermann said:

I won't say 'they're well worth the money' as I feel that all this stuff is way overpriced just to play games, but I added it up to 3 of my wife's ridiculously expensive haircuts (money I'll never see again), and these can always be sold down the road if you want to.  She p*ssed me off the other day and I ordered them 😉.  I've never seen a bad review for them.  I also use them for IL2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6mukkJR0mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMiJ9XjPqo

Edited by aleader
  • Like 1

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

23 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

Note that the Mi-24 Hind is Pre-Sale, not Early Acces yet.

I made this mistake when I jumped in Pre-ordering, but it´s only a minor mistake, since this is a No-brainer buy for me.

I guess the Mosquito will come as Early Access together, or close after, version 1.2.7 OB is released, so I will be occupied for some time after that and until the Hind will arrive in Early Acces.

I could be wrong, but I think they said the discount ends once they hit early access, which makes sense really.  I don't understand why some developers (I'm looking at you Battlefront) provide 'pre-orders' without any incentive to do so (i.e. discount).  

• Like 1