Cheats and assists

Smashy

I was reading the various and polarizing "can we get an easy AAR option" discussions and got to wondering what cheats and assists everyone uses.  DCS is a game after all and I don't think there's any shame in a player adjusting the options to make it as fun as possible.  For context, I've only been playing DCS for roughly 6 months and only play single-player.  I mostly fly the Hornet but lately the Huey has been taking up nearly all of my time.

Here are the cheats/assists that I'm using:

• Dot labels (with mod).  This one is invaluable to me since spotting is next to impossible without labels.  At the same time, I think full labels are too intrusive so the modded dots are a good compromise.
  • Easy communications.  Pretty important but not essential.  I just don't find managing the minutiae of all the radio gear that interesting.  I'm especially curious to hear other's thoughts on this option.
  • F10 View Options - All.  Just because it's the default.
  • Player aircraft immortality.  Very rarely, and only when practicing specific things like SAM evasion/defend tactics.
  • Plane-to-Plane view (F5).  I'm embarrassed to say I use this every now and then in a gunzo fight but really, really, REALLY try to avoid using it.
  • BDA window.  It's cool to see instant results for released weapons.  Sometimes I disable this but often forget to do so.
  • Controls position indicator.  On rarely for Hornet, nearly always on for Huey.
  • Huey autopilot - enabled.  It's an immersion-breaking assist but I justify using it by thinking it's the copilot taking the helo so I can dial in ADF/VOR/ILS freqs or fiddle with other knobs and switches.
  • Huey rudder trim - enabled.  Just to make things easier on my feet.

There are likely more "cheats" I'm using but really do try to stay away from using too many crutches.  For me, a lot of the fun in a game like DCS is meeting the challenges presented and working to overcome them.

Honestly it comes down to how the user personally views DCS.

Some people view DCS as a game, comparable to any other on the market, while others view DCS as a simulation of the real world or at least as close as you can get to it. Some people see it as both and some people don't care. The first two camps will inevitably butt heads over topics such as cheats and assists. I use a few of the default assists. Most notably easy comm's. That has more to do with the fact that I fly several of the FC3 aircraft from time to time that don't have manually tunable radios. I can just as easily switch over to manual radios if the aircraft is full fidelity and easy comm's is turned off. 

I prefer people have the options they want to have to make DCS more enjoyable for themselves. Unfortunately that can be a double edged sword, especially in the competitive multiplayer servers and that puts ED into a difficult situation. Which side do they support? They have made their reputation on the level of detail and realism that they put into these aircraft and that is how they have built their customer base. Many people are drawn to DCS for that exact reason and rightfully pride themselves on accomplishments such as learning AAR, formation flying, employing weapons correctly, etc. Some people just want to blow stuff up 🙂. ED tries their best to cater to both crowds as best they can. 

Where I start having problems with discussions like these is when people are outright dismissive of the other view or fail to even attempt to see things from the other perspective. Or they try to justify the assist or cheat as something else other than what it really is to try and push their narrative or point of view. often to the point of attacking people directly over their opinions. It happens on all sides of the argument.  

There are a few that will try to find a middle ground and I usually find those responses the most helpful.  

Ultimately it's up the ED how to proceed. 

Edited by Repth
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Smashy said:

I was reading the various and polarizing "can we get an easy AAR option" discussions and got to wondering what cheats and assists everyone uses. 

I use several cheats:

The F10 Map

The external views (mostly to not get bored on longer flights, and to take screenshots)

Tooltips on the cockpit controls

Avionics Language set to english

English cockpits

Snapview saving

Controls Indicators (mostly with helos and warbirds)

Subtitles

Player set to invulnerable on the Logbook

... and that would be it. I never use autostart and prefer missions where I do the cold start myself. I don't like nocturnal missions, so I mostly fly at dawn or dusk ... that's the nice thing about Single Player, I can setup the mission however I want and use whatever user Mods strike my fancy without having to worry about IC or having to chat with obnoxius players 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 hours ago, Smashy said:
  • BDA window.  It's cool to see instant results for released weapons.  Sometimes I disable this but often forget to do so.

not heard of this before...what is it? or is it just the F6 key?

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

13 hours ago, Smashy said:

For me, a lot of the fun in a game like DCS is meeting the challenges presented and working to overcome them.

Why use any cheats, then?

I use only one "cheat", that is external views for the eyecandy.

No english cockpits, no F10 map (unless I am playing JTAC in CA, but thats a more fitting scenario to begin with), no control assists, no autopilots unless present in the real plane, no auto start, no shortcuts. Why would I and rob myself of the actual game?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I try to use only "cheats" that compensate for difficulties, that you won't have in the real world in the first place. E.g. Controls indicator, or english cockpit.

But I'm not religious about it.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

53 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Why use any cheats, then?

Good question!

I'm still trying to find my around DCS and am in the process of learning to fly and operate the Hornet and Huey.  In this context, I'm using assists that:

• compensate for what I feel are inevitable shortcomings with a 2D single-player desktop sim that provides nothing to help proprioception or the vestibular system.  So dot labels and perhaps control position indicator.
  • facilitate the learning process (i.e., immortal against SAMs so I can try various tactics and techniques to see what works and what doesn't without having to constantly restart)
  • simply to enjoy the game as I want to.  For example, I find the stick and rudder things most fun and have spent a ton of time on AAR and finally am able to do it at a mediocre level.  Same with hovering in the Huey.  I'm continuing to work on fine-tuning my Huey control and Hornet AAR and am working on the Hornet's Case I recovery procedure and execution.  I prefer easy comms because I know I won't miss having to twiddle radio frequency knobs while learning these difficult skills.  I do like knob twiddling in certain situations so I do enjoy cold starts and complete shutdowns.

As I progress I imagine I will take more of a purist approach and eliminate some, if not most of the crutches I'm using now.  Things like F10 map might help me learn to interpret what my Hornet's sensors are telling me but I feel would detract from the total experience in an actual mission.  Oh, I've already turned off the BDA window.  That thing always reminded me of a score counter in an arcade game 😄

Edited by Smashy
  • Like 1