Mission 6 wildcard button issue

Indianajon

I wonder if anyone else is having this issue or just me? In mission 6 (the 2nd wildcard) I spotted it (unlike the first time), turned to intercept but the F3 call out didn't register. Restarted and tried again but again didn't register. The other Comms F keys do. I open the Comms menu just after IP so it's ready, could this be the issue? Should I wait for the fights on call before selecting the menu? I'm in vr so gets fiddly and with everything else happening it can get a little flustered so was trying to stay ahead. 

As I didn't spot in mission 5 I'm not sure if this issue is a more general, mission specific or user error one. Any help, suggestions would be good.

Ta

Edited by Indianajon

• 10 months later...

In the wild card missions I am being hit by presumably a missile before I even have a chance to turn nose on to the Wildcard.  A few seconds after the 'Fight's on!' call is made I am hit with no warning.  No sooner does the wildcard show up on radar and I'm dead. Not even time to get the comms menu up to proclaim 'Tally Wildcard!'. For two missions in a row now.   It takes a lot of time and effort to get out to the range, only to die instantly.  Didn't have this problem the first couple of times I've played the Campaign.  Strange.

Hi @JupiterJoe thanks for the report.

I checked the mission:

- The Wild Card spawns  16 miles from you, so it cannot lock you, launch, and deliver an AIM-9 in a few seconds...unless you wander far off course instead of staying in tac spread with Hammer

- It spawns when you're approx 15 miles from Bighorn. By then you should have heard the Fight's on call a long time ago, unless you take a long time to switch to channel 1 and/ or press the spacebar to report ready.

- The AI has a setting to make sure he launches at no escape zone ( much less than 16 miles for the AIM-9). This was bugged a few months ago and the AI ignored these settings. I reported to ED, maybe it's still not fixed. Will check again.

- Check the mission log at the end to verify you are indeed hit by a missile from the WildCard and not something else. A year ago I heard of 'spontaneous explosion' bugs...rare but happens.

I have another idea how to make the WC launch a bit later, I'll need to experiment with it a bit.

EDIT: I tested, with the 'No escape zone' setting the AI launches at 4-5 miles only, so it works, no need for workarounds. It would be best to check your action log when you finish the mission to make sure it was the Wild Card that hit you. Or, you got hit by something before the fight's on call, a collision maybe? Did you hit any ground objects? And after the fight's on call that counts as a death because DCS 'remembers' all hits.

Edited by Reflected

Thank you Reflected, for taking the time to discuss this with me.  I'm a huge fan of your work and of course it's most likely something I'm doing wrong.  Perhaps I am a little too far to the North of my flight lead (on the missions where he's leading) and maybe I am taking too long to press space once on the range.   I shall take a close look at the Action Log, as you've suggested...

Edited by JupiterJoe