Laptop and VR

Takalti

What would you do  

5 members have voted

1. 1. VR or TrackIR on a laptop?

• VR, lets jump in both feet!
    • TrackIR, Play it safe rather than regretting the cost!

Hi all,

First of all, I am completely new to DCS. I tried to do some of the initial training missions for the A10 but have found it difficult without head tracking. 

My question is - could my setup reasonably run VR or should I just get a TrackIR?

Specs:

Laptop (HP Omen) i7-9750h, 2070 maxP GPU, 32gb DDR4, 3tb NVME storage, Thunderbolt/USB-C, Mini-DP. I have a logitech X52Pro Hotas, and Cessna Pro Yoke / Quad / Pedals. I currently run a 27" 2k 144fps screen connected to the laptop.

My steamVR test came back at max, with 0 frames under 90fps and 0 cpu bound frames. 

I am particularly looking at the HP Reverb G2, for use with DCS and MSFS. Yes I know I may have to adjust settings down a bit to make it good.

Could this work, or should I just go with the "safe" option and get a TrackIR?

Edited by Takalti

I’m using quest2 on a similar machine with rtx2060. So I guess you will have no issues.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

1 hour ago, Takalti said:

Hi all,

First of all, I am completely new to DCS. I tried to do some of the initial training missions for the A10 but have found it difficult without head tracking. 

My question is - could my setup reasonably run VR or should I just get a TrackIR?

Specs:

Laptop (HP Omen) i7-9750h, 2070 maxP GPU, 32gb DDR4, 3tb NVME storage, Thunderbolt/USB-C, Mini-DP. I have a logitech X52Pro Hotas, and Cessna Pro Yoke / Quad / Pedals. I currently run a 27" 2k 144fps screen connected to the laptop.

My steamVR test came back at max, with 0 frames under 90fps and 0 cpu bound frames. 

I am particularly looking at the HP Reverb G2, for use with DCS and MSFS. Yes I know I may have to adjust settings down a bit to make it good.

Could this work, or should I just go with the "safe" option and get a TrackIR?

Yup, Ive the EXACT laptop, running VR, works great.
However, Reverb G2? I use a quest, and a freind of mine just returned his G2 to Amazon, as it didnt run well on his 2080 Super..

I am ruling out anything that requires me to get a FB account - so my short list only includes the things that dont. Unfortunately the other big factor is what is available in Australia (which effectively ditches the Index). The logical remainder is the G2.