Jump to content

MFG Crosswind now offers damper kits for their pedals


Recommended Posts

I ordered mine for my Version 2 Crosswind Pedals today.

https://mfg-sim.com/en/5-rudder-acessories

 

Note you will need to know your version number of pedals you have - the MFG software will tell you what version. 

 

 

 

 

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I would have known that these exist.  I just received my pedals (V3) a week ago and would have added them to the shipment had I known.  Now I would have to pay another $30 in shipping again...not gonna happen.  Let us know how it is when you get it installed though please. 

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aleader said:

I wish I would have known that these exist.  I just received my pedals (V3) a week ago and would have added them to the shipment had I known.  Now I would have to pay another $30 in shipping again...not gonna happen.  Let us know how it is when you get it installed though please. 

 

Unfortunately, there would have always been those buyers who bought just before the release, no matter what time he choose to do so.

 

If you want to get a better deal for the same shipping now, you can take a look at my MFG mods:

It's the same thing (I designed it, he sells it), plus a few more items, but minus the actual damper which you get off Amazon, so :

1) damper mounting kit

2) brake shocks mounting kit

3) brake force adjusters

4) axis spring tension wheel

5) Combat US style foot rests

 

If we reach a deal, this package will also be available directly from MFG webshop later on.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... so glad I ordered my Damper Kit from MFG.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Wow... so glad I ordered my Damper Kit from MFG.

 

I'm not sure if there is a misunderstanding here. This is a collaboration between me and Milan of MFG. The damper kit you bought, I gave it to MFG. And I will also give him the combat pedals so he can sell them directly from his web shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those interested in adding the damper, below taken from MFG website:

 

Few of our capable customers have installed hydraulic damper on MFG Crosswind by themselves in the past, using various adaptations and whitnessing it's nice effects to realisam. After spreading their thoughts around the globe we started to get inquiries for these. As damper can be implemented in various ways, and various shapes and forms, it took MFG Team a while to source proper quality components to produce desired effects on rudder pedals and test for the best adaptation.

Our solution is elegant as always ... instalation is simple, does not increase overall footprint of the pedals even when in motion, damper adjustment is at fingertip with correct and smooth damping force. Importantly enough - this add-on will not break the bank or pedals :-))

Hydraulic damper is NOT a necessity for pedals, but it substantially improves overall feel and realisam on the pedals !!!

What hydraulic damper does is add's smooth fluid friction to rudder axis motion, and that friction can be finely adjusted by 23 increments on the damper, therefore customer has a choice of using no friction at all - and up to very hard friction.

You may ask why anyone want such friction. Well, by using damper pedals start to feel "heavy" as in real aircraft, fast changes in direction are harder to do - as in real aircraft and therefore it is harder to "overshoot the enemy" in a dogfight. Helicopter anti torque pedals are A LOT BETTER SIMULATED with damper and centering spring detatched on pedals...

So this lead me to conclusion... if you can afford it - use damper on your pedals

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hegykc said:

 

Unfortunately, there would have always been those buyers who bought just before the release, no matter what time he choose to do so.

 

If you want to get a better deal for the same shipping now, you can take a look at my MFG mods:

It's the same thing (I designed it, he sells it), plus a few more items, but minus the actual damper which you get off Amazon, so :

1) damper mounting kit

2) brake shocks mounting kit

3) brake force adjusters

4) axis spring tension wheel

5) Combat US style foot rests

 

If we reach a deal, this package will also be available directly from MFG webshop later on.


I bookmarked it.  The total cost though would be about double just ordering it from MFG if I also need to buy the damper.  I may just wait until you have it on the MFG site.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aleader said:


I bookmarked it.  The total cost though would be about double just ordering it from MFG if I also need to buy the damper.  I may just wait until you have it on the MFG site.

 

Correct, but you also get the combat pedals kit. Right now the product on MFGs website is only the damper mounting kit, no combat pedals. When we reach a deal for damper kit + combat pedals kit, the price goes from 50$ to 100$ for the 2 products together.

 

For the small percentage of the customers who don't want to wait and get everything now, the price will be the same. It is 75$ for my damper & pedals mounting kit plus 25$ for Aliexpress damper. So 100$ again, the same as it will be once on the MFG website. Still too much if you ask me actually. But there are customers who can afford it and want it right now, so I will take that money and use it to expand my capacity, so I can lower the price in 6-12 months, and be able to take a lower cut once on the MFG store.

 

I see this upgrade at 30$ damper kit + 30$ combat pedals, max. That's where I think almost ALL customers would go for it. I would agree to that price in a heartbeat, but I have many, many other projects in the pipeline so I can afford to not care if this one had a small profit margin. Other manufacturers who only make 1 product want to maximize their profit on that product. I will push to get the complete combined kit as close to the 60$ range but it will take months of negotiating and convincing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 1:49 AM, hegykc said:

 

Correct, but you also get the combat pedals kit. Right now the product on MFGs website is only the damper mounting kit, no combat pedals. When we reach a deal for damper kit + combat pedals kit, the price goes from 50$ to 100$ for the 2 products together.

 

For the small percentage of the customers who don't want to wait and get everything now, the price will be the same. It is 75$ for my damper & pedals mounting kit plus 25$ for Aliexpress damper. So 100$ again, the same as it will be once on the MFG website. Still too much if you ask me actually. But there are customers who can afford it and want it right now, so I will take that money and use it to expand my capacity, so I can lower the price in 6-12 months, and be able to take a lower cut once on the MFG store.

 

I see this upgrade at 30$ damper kit + 30$ combat pedals, max. That's where I think almost ALL customers would go for it. I would agree to that price in a heartbeat, but I have many, many other projects in the pipeline so I can afford to not care if this one had a small profit margin. Other manufacturers who only make 1 product want to maximize their profit on that product. I will push to get the complete combined kit as close to the 60$ range but it will take months of negotiating and convincing.

Is the one you get off Aliexpress (a site I've never bought from...I'm in Canada) the exact same as the one on the MFG site?  Do I then have to assemble it to make it like that one?  They will fit my V3 Crosswinds without any dicking around?  How do I pay you?  Paypal?


Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, aleader said:

Is the one you get off Aliexpress (a site I've never bought from...I'm in Canada) the exact same as the one on the MFG site?  Do I then have to assemble it to make it like that one?  They will fit my V3 Crosswinds without any dicking around?  How do I pay you?  Paypal?

 

 

Why not just order the damper from Milan at MFG? He supports our hobby fully.

I have one on the way from him for my Ver 2 Crosswinds.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aleader said:

Is the one you get off Aliexpress (a site I've never bought from...I'm in Canada) the exact same as the one on the MFG site?  Do I then have to assemble it to make it like that one?  They will fit my V3 Crosswinds without any dicking around?  How do I pay you?  Paypal?

 

 

You can bet that the damper in MFG kit came from Aliexpress. 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this out after he posted a you tube video about it. Sadly it looks like you all beat me to the punch, as the V1 / V2 conversion kit is now out of stock.

 

However I think it’s gonna be an instant purchase once they come back into stock.   Will be very interested to see how much of a difference it makes to your setups. 

 

 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

 

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

 

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Damper Kit from MFG will be delivered later today.

Also my new caster wheels with locking mechanism for my gaming chair will be arriving later today. That will help me a bunch.

Should get some good testing in tomorrow hopefully.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

New locking Caster Wheels arrived, have put them on and now it is so easy to just lock em and have no chair movement when using the rudders.

So much nicer!

Now just waiting on Damper Mod Kit.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dburne said:

New locking Caster Wheels arrived, have put them on and now it is so easy to just lock em and have no chair movement when using the rudders.

So much nicer!

Now just waiting on Damper Mod Kit.

Agreed, re: locking wheels. An essential part of my setup. Let us know how you feel about the dampers (I know you will, lol)

Though maybe they're sold out for the v2 pedals now anyway?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Agreed, re: locking wheels. An essential part of my setup. Let us know how you feel about the dampers (I know you will, lol)

Though maybe they're sold out for the v2 pedals now anyway?

 

I just checked they show them available it seems.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Received my Damper Mod Kit from MFG for my Crosswind Pedals V2 this afternoon.

Milan has a video up now on his website going over installation.

If you are fortunate and already have the Version 3 of his pedals then installation is real easy as it is already set up for it, for Version 2 and 1 of Pedals it is a little more complex, but not too bad.  Probably took me around an hour for total installation, but I also work slowly.

 

Here it is installed and ready to fly. I can tell you just from moving it around with my feet it feels oh so smooth.  The adjusting wheel on the damper itself has around 23 settings, so you can choose several different strengths of dampers for  your own liking. I am sure after spending some time flying with it tomorrow I will get a feel for where I will want it to be. It is hard to describe, but moving the pedals now has sort of a fluidity to it, just a very neat smoothness I guess.

 

I would also note when I ordered the Damper Kit from Milan, I also ordered a " Soft" main spring. I always felt the main spring that came with my Crosswinds back in 2015 was pretty stout. So I also have mounted the soft spring on to see how this all does.

 

Here it is ready to go:

 

gt8VDlJ.jpg

 

I will post back later tomorrow once I get some flight time in with them.

My initial impression is I think I am really going to like this mod.

 

Btw Milan has a video up now on his sight covering installation for versions 1 and 2, and also 3. You will definitely need the video.

Most folks will likely have Version 1 or 2 ( Mine are version 2 purchased in Dec 2015), as Version 3 just went into production around the end of 2020.

The MFG software will tell you what version you have also.


Edited by dburne

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need software to determine if you have V.3 since it has two threaded holes already.

Sim Rig: Intel 10700KF@5.1GHz, MSI RTX3090, 32GB DDR4@3200, 1TB SSD, G2 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

Link to post
Share on other sites

👍👍

Ok so I have spent probably between 6-7 hours with this today.

I give it a big two thumbs up!

 

Initially when I ordered it I thought yeah right, how can this make the great Crosswind Pedals even better?

Well it did. 

First I made a couple of changes, as previously mentioned I always felt the main spring was a bit on the strong side, so I ordered the soft main spring from Milan with this damper kit and replaced my main spring with it.

Also I changed cams, been running the Cam 6 for as long as I have had these pedals, and changed out to the Cam 4.

The soft main spring I turned the tensioner knob in about all the way to get it as stiff as I could. I am liking the Cam 4 but may try out the Cam 5 at some point also.

 

But wow, using these pedals with the damper mod kit installed, using them was just so dang nice. So very smooth, and felt like so much more than just a spring loaded pedal. I ended up with the adjustment knob on the damper turned in like 8 clicks, which is about a third of the way in. I can move the pedals without much effort, and it is such a nice solid and smooth movement. No twitches just an easy very smooth movement. I could see tightening it up more could be beneficial for say helicopters. Looking at the raw values being generated in the MFG software, they do not center exactly perfect every time, but they are close. I put a small dead zone in to compensate for that a little. Plus the Cam 4 does not have a defined center like the Cam 6 has.

 

So anyway that is my thoughts now on this damper kit mod. Does one really need this addition to their Crosswind Pedals? No, not really. However what it does is take these great pedals to an even newer higher level. And for less than a hundred bucks including shipping it is not a bad deal at all. 

I am quite happy that I ordered this kit and I am sure I will be enjoying my newly renovated Crosswinds for many more years. I have already been using them for over 5 years and expect I will never replace them.

Just don't be surprised if you do it if you find yourself wanting to start from parked and taxi to the runway more along with wanting to taxi back to parking after landing. 😉

  • Thanks 1

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, dburne said:

 

Why not just order the damper from Milan at MFG? He supports our hobby fully.

I have one on the way from him for my Ver 2 Crosswinds.

As I said a few posts up, I literally just received my V3 Crosswinds about 1 1/2 weeks ago now.  I could have put these in with that order and paid no more shipping.  Now they'll cost me another $30 of shipping, plus $52 CAD + tax for the damper.  I'm a bit sour I didn't do that in the first place.  I will end up getting them at some point I'm sure.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the review  @dburne it’s always good to hear from those in our community who actually have used items rather than just listening to the company.   Not that I don’t believe MFG in anyway.   I love my pedals and he was a joy to deal with, but it’s always good to get 3rd party reports as well.

 

im waiting on mine to be delivered, ordered the V1 / V2 upgrade last week when they came back into stock.

never used any thing hydraulically dampened before, but I’ve only ever heard good things about it, hence I took a gamble.

 

After reading this post, I do think the gamble is gonna pay off. 

  • Like 1

 

 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

 

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

 

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Cheers for the review  @dburne it’s always good to hear from those in our community who actually have used items rather than just listening to the company.   Not that I don’t believe MFG in anyway.   I love my pedals and he was a joy to deal with, but it’s always good to get 3rd party reports as well.

 

im waiting on mine to be delivered, ordered the V1 / V2 upgrade last week when they came back into stock.

never used any thing hydraulically dampened before, but I’ve only ever heard good things about it, hence I took a gamble.

 

After reading this post, I do think the gamble is gonna pay off. 

 

Yeah I was very hesitant expecting the damper to make any big difference, but it sure does. 

I did not necessarily need the damper kit, but now I sure would not want to use my pedals without it.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cost me money dburne.  I couldn't stop myself from ordering this mod.

 

 

On 3/29/2021 at 1:39 AM, hegykc said:

 

Unfortunately, there would have always been those buyers who bought just before the release, no matter what time he choose to do so.

 

If you want to get a better deal for the same shipping now, you can take a look at my MFG mods:

It's the same thing (I designed it, he sells it), plus a few more items, but minus the actual damper which you get off Amazon, so :

1) damper mounting kit

2) brake shocks mounting kit

3) brake force adjusters

4) axis spring tension wheel

5) Combat US style foot rests

 

If we reach a deal, this package will also be available directly from MFG webshop later on.

 

These little teensy dampers on the toe breaks are very interesting to me, they look small enough I could possibly fit them somehow in my flight stick base.  I looked at your page but wasn't able to find those specific ones on there, could you tell me what model they are?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FeistyLemur said:

I looked at your page but wasn't able to find those specific ones on there, could you tell me what model they are?

 

Links are in the combat pedals description page:

brake shocks.jpg

But I don't know if they can be useful, they're quite small/weak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FeistyLemur said:

You cost me money dburne.  I couldn't stop myself from ordering this mod.

 

 

I aim to please...

😉

 

I don't think you will be disappointed.  The difference is significant.

Don B

 

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...