ATFLIR offset cursor bug

BarTzi

There's a contradiction between the real life offset use, and the way it is implemented in DCS at the moment (I chose to report this ahead of time, after watching the ATFLIR video made by Wags). I can't say anything about the LITENING pod, but as far as ATFLIR goes, this is how the offset function works:

Using offset does not move the cursor independently. The cursor will remain in the center of the display. Slewing the cursor does move the pod, while it tries to keeps track of the original object (in the brackets). The end result is: you should be able to track object A while lasing\targeting object B.

Edited by BarTzi
  • Like 9

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • ED Team

We would need to see public documented evidence if possible

please PM me

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
39 minutes ago, nickos86 said:

@BIGNEWY,how come a video is not a "public documented evidence"?! He shared a video at the specific second that shows how the offset really works... What more do you need?!

It is not always clear in videos what is being seen or if what we are looking at is the correct version for our aircraft, documented evidence is better. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

While i see your general point, note that the time period is 2004 for VFA-34 that flew F/A-18C at the time (see their official naval website).  

More over, during the video you can see the symbology many time and see it's as in the DCS version. 

For example 10:06... But you can find many examples.

image.png

I don't have a written evidence but video uploaded by aviators showing the OFFSET behavior is not something that I think you should just dismiss.

The implementation shown in the video make sense. It gives the operator real GAIN and functionality. While the current behavior in DCS simply make no sense (no offence 🙂 )... It is not beneficial to the pilot what so ever..  

image.png 

ED, don't dismiss videos. You want to make a great product just as we do. Gladly there are evidence in the open that demonstrate a different behavior so there is an opportunity to improve the Hornet. Please review the video and consider fixing it.

Thanks.  

• Like 5

On 3/31/2023 at 10:43 PM, BIGNEWY said:

It is not always clear in videos what is being seen or if what we are looking at is the correct version for our aircraft, documented evidence is better. 

thank you

Hi BIGNEWY, I sent you guys the video mentioned above six months prior to the introduction of ATFLIR to the game. It was confirmed as a bug (ask your SME's as it was already confirmed by one of them) and was mentioned by Wags at least once as a planned feature. Please check this thread (which is almost two years old) as it was already acknoledged by ED as a bug. 

Also, I'd like to mention that this is really not complex, and this is literally what offset does (it's in the name). 

With the Hornet nearing the end of early access, and the multiple changes coming to the Viper's pod in the sake of accuracy, I ask you to please consider implementing the offset function correctly, because the current implementation is simply made up. It does not offset anything. 

Edited by BarTzi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1