New Rig is here. Starting over

Well actually will be here tomorrow. My question is that do I have to logout DCS with my other rig so I will be able to download all my mods, maps and missions I have purchased and accumulated.

I was going to copy them and install on new rig but I want to start over/fresh. 

thanks for advice with this process.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Depending on the method you go about it it can vary.

You may be able to simply copy the whole game over directly. DCS doesn't really have a hard protection in that respect, afaik. I had no trouble moving it whole from one harddrive to another. 

If you uninstall and reinstall, however, you'll need to deactivate the modules on the old install, so that you can reactivate them on the new one. With that in mind, I strongly recommend just copying it wholesale for your own convenience.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

All good advice thank you. Yeah I may copy and install to new machine. I have 2 DCS open beta folders, 1 in program files and the other in users/saved games which I reckon I have to copy both right?

thanks everyone

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yes but your input device numbers will change on your new system. You have to rename those old filenames with the new device numbers.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yeah the USB ID string  I was told that I had to that so still not quit sure how I want to do this. I’m also thinking about installing DCS on its own drive too which I’ve noticed what a popular thing to do. Thanks Lang 

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

Me personally when I do a new rig I like to do a nice clean new install of everything.

Kind of cleans the ole cobwebs out so to speak.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would do that too (i just would copy the input devices over and rename them since i'm far from the default DCS settings).

I used to install everything in a row on a new rig (or after a full wipe) but i don't do that anymore.

I just install Windows and then only the stuff i'm gonna use directly. This spreads out the installation over time, gives you the feeling you're up and running a lot faster.

• Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Rgrt — As of now I think I will do a fresh install I have very fast internet so no prob downloading my mods and maps ect. I’m just gonna put DCS on the main M.2 NVMe drive and add a separate ssd later and move the sim to its on drive. Gotta research on how all that works because I have never done that before. I’m Also upgrade from a warthog hotas , the stick to the RealSimulator R3L base and F16 grip so I’ll be busy for a few days for sure.

Thanks all 

Start Date April 2020 

16 minutes ago, Burt said:

I’m just gonna put DCS on the main M.2 NVMe drive and add a separate ssd later and move the sim to its on drive. Gotta research on how all that works because I have never done that before.

Just copy everything over and redo the links of your desktop icons or use this:

Highly recommended !!!

On 3/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, Burt said:

Well actually will be here tomorrow. My question is that do I have to logout DCS with my other rig so I will be able to download all my mods, maps and missions I have purchased and accumulated.

I was going to copy them and install on new rig but I want to start over/fresh. 

thanks for advice with this process.

Connect your two boxes with an Ethernet cable and rip DCS from the old drive to the new one. Then copy your Saved Games\DCS folder to the new machine.

Should work just fine--DCS isn't tied into Windows in any way and its copy protection doesn't have anything to do with your old machine or old Windows install, so you should be able to just copy it over and you're ready to rock 'n' roll.

Peace & happy warfare

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey
  • Thanks 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Yea Lance I honestly had that on my mind too but I need to watch the video and brush up on the how to.. looks alittle complicated but I will do the research for it. 
Sorry to ask all these easy questions to some but I’m honestly not to good with all this computer stuff yet. I’m learning though and at my age ... that’s a good thing.

Thanks !

Thanks A D ! That’s definitely possible. I did do a search on that and I do have another Ethernet cable. Thanks for the advice. 

Start Date April 2020 

Thanks all for your advice I’m up and going and my G2/VR experience has come to a big WOW !

Cheers 

Start Date April 2020