Super Carrier off the coast of California possible?

Hollister56

35 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

The frustrating thing about all this is that there WERE scenery building tools that used to be available for DCS, and ED removed access to them in a recent build...

DCS never has been scenario tools, the only way was use the 3DS plugin to import old LOMAC format map and only was little stubs making by to the comunity. That  was decrepated when ED build EDGE map terrain technology and build the new map with the TDK. The Terrain develop Kit (TDK) was make first to make NTTR maps on 2.0 version. The TDK has the only tool to build maps and has evolved from 2.0. ED never has get access to TDK free, only 3rd parties.

If someone like get the TDK as a 3rd party, contact with ED team members and show a viable project with 3D stuff on 3DS maps show maps and assets tests.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

On 3/26/2021 at 7:52 PM, sLYFa said:

Do you realise how much effort it requires to build a map even half the size of e.g. NTTR to current standards, especially in densely populated areas like the US coastal regions? Noone is going to go down that road for free, so it doesn't matter what tools ED can provide to the community. The other sims where we have "a thriving scenery-building community" are completely different. The scenery there is limited to single airports, cities or orthophotos+vector data (i.e. roads, powerlines etc.), all build on a base world thats already available. Here, nothing is available and has to be made from scratch. Thats tens of thousands of square miles of cities, forrest, fields, airports and what not. Noone is going to make that for free so there is no point for ED to invest time and money (building and maintaining SDKs is also expensive) into providing anyone with anything for free. 

These "ED is greedy and keeps the good stuff to themselves" stuff is pure nonesense, considering the top quality content we are getting at IMO very fair prices.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see any airbase with a fleet replacement squadron based on it, but the reality is that the majority of users apparently does not and prefers current/historical/likey theaters of war, hence the maps that are or are not being developed.

I disagree.

With a high end helicopter ( The Apache ) coming out, I think it is time for ED to release it's SDK so we can build small islands and such.

We could start building much higher end terrain (not the usual flat ground that looks decent at 30,000 feet).  Canyons, hills, unique buildings, villages, ruins, castles, etc.  Things you like to see at 10 feet. 🙃

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, StevanJ said:

Would you rather it was exteneded to the West to include the Cities and the Supercarrier, Or to the East to allow monument valley, and the grand canyon?

I guess I would rather it extend North and include NAS Fallon and all of it's bombing ranges.

6 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

DCS never has been scenario tools, the only way was use the 3DS plugin to import old LOMAC format map and only was little stubs making by to the comunity. That  was decrepated when ED build EDGE map terrain technology and build the new map with the TDK. The Terrain develop Kit (TDK) was make first to make NTTR maps on 2.0 version. The TDK has the only tool to build maps and has evolved from 2.0. ED never has get access to TDK free, only 3rd parties.

If someone like get the TDK as a 3rd party, contact with ED team members and show a viable project with 3D stuff on 3DS maps show maps and assets tests.

Correct.  So to recap... there used to be a way for the community to create scenery... and now there is not. 

• Like 2

This is my problem with ED.  It's too Closed.  I could get people from Arma to buy your stuff, but you're not sandbox enough.  You don't give out tools so we can build a real community.

I've viewed your TDK on youtube.  It doesn't look any harder than building maps for Arma.  I don't know why you are being so skittish about it.  Sometimes, it seems you don't want new players.  It's like you don't want to make money.  Forever niche.

Edited by 3WA

12 hours ago, 3WA said:

This is my problem with ED.  It's too Closed.  I could get people from Arma to buy your stuff, but you're not sandbox enough.  You don't give out tools so we can build a real community.

I've viewed your TDK on youtube.  It doesn't look any harder than building maps for Arma.  I don't know why you are being so skittish about it.  Sometimes, it seems you don't want new players.  It's like you don't want to make money.  Forever niche.

Please, dont convert the discussion on a ARMA (or X) vs DCS....

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are not recommended as they can create personal friction with users who enjoy such products and potentially create issues with competitve manufacturers which is not helpful. We do not allow the reviewing of, or direct comparison of other competitive software here. Posting news updates or advertising other products or games is also forbidden (unless approved by an admin). Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Thanks 1

Ok, let me try to put it into context without breaking your rule.

My point was, people I know like your sim, but feel you do not give out enough tools, etc. to mold it into the gameplay that they are looking for.  They want to be able to make their own small "islands" so they can put more detail into the terrain and make more unique buildings, structures, etc. and have a tighter area of combat.  Most are not interested in flying for long periods of time, but they like your heli's and the A-10C.  The new Syria map is beautiful, and will make for some great RTS gameplay, but most of the people I know find it too large and open for their taste, while also lacking terrain "uniqueness" and "detail".  They are used to much smaller, tighter maps and faster gameplay.  However, they would LOVE much more realism in that gameplay (study sim level).

My 2nd point was, that a lot more people would be interested in buying your modules if they had the ability to make their own islands, terrains, and objects.

As you are now putting out more and more helicopters, and maybe soon vehicles, please consider releasing map tools so the community can make their own small islands and such.  Even empty ocean maps, as some people want.  We're not looking to compete with your vast maps.  We know that takes teams of people, and vast amounts of time.  What some of my friends were wanting to build are just very small (as opposed to your HUGE maps), more detailed skirmish maps with varied terrain such as deep canyons and such.

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1

Look how lucky we get Marianas this year. Islands with superb detailed terrain, limited to small unique areas 🙂

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Lol, yeah, Mariana's is nice, and you did a good job on it.  But it's still the same old, same old.

If you've played other games with their highly variable terrain maps, you know what I'm talking about.  They were made to "maximize" game play with tons of obstacles and deep canyons.  Great for AH-64 helicopters stalk and hide tactics.  Plus, small and tight.  A lot more unique detail, from interesting rock formations, to old ruins and forest hidden ponds, strange military bases, etc.  You guys are too focused on strict reality (which is fine for your large RTS).  And if your going to bring in vehicle modules, your going to want much smaller, tactical maps.  As someone said in another post, "well no one is going to want to sit around for hours in a tank or SAM just waiting".  We didn't plan to.  Tight 10km x 10km island maps that are highly detailed with deeply rugged terrain will lead to some interesting helicopter and vehicle fights.  I doubt if you guys are interested in making those, so let the community make them.  There are plenty of experienced mappers who will jump at the chance.  And as I pointed out in another post, you guys are nearing the end of popular fighters to make modules for.  I think your past was strictly the clouds and above.  Your future is going to be much closer to the ground.

Heh, one of my favorite maps from a long ago game was a huge kitchen where the players were the size of large beetles.  THAT would be fun in DCS!  Carrying out anti-tank warfare while hovering behind the toaster. 😜  Let the community make their fantasy maps.  You won't have to pay a dime for it, and you'll get people buying up your modules who before had no interest in your sim.

I do like your maps though.  Flying down the roads and skinny rivers in the Caucus map with the Ka-50 is one of my favorite pass times.

Edited by 3WA

• ED Team

Hi, 

appreciate what you are saying, there are indeed some very talented modders out there, already doing great things without our SDK.

However currently we have no planes to share our SDK / TDK outside of our the official third parties and partners. Could this change in the future? possibly, but for now no. 

If you are considering becoming a third party dev feel free to contact myself or nineline we will be happy to discuss any potential project. 

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, 3WA said:

Lol, yeah, Mariana's is nice, and you did a good job on it.  But it's still the same old, same old.

If you've played other games with their highly variable terrain maps, you know what I'm talking about.  They were made to "maximize" game play with tons of obstacles and deep canyons.  Great for AH-64 helicopters stalk and hide tactics.  Plus, small and tight.  A lot more unique detail, from interesting rock formations, to old ruins and forest hidden ponds, strange military bases, etc.  You guys are too focused on strict reality (which is fine for your large RTS).  And if your going to bring in vehicle modules, your going to want much smaller, tactical maps.  As someone said in another post, "well no one is going to want to sit around for hours in a tank or SAM just waiting".  We didn't plan to.  Tight 10km x 10km island maps that are highly detailed with deeply rugged terrain will lead to some interesting helicopter and vehicle fights.  I doubt if you guys are interested in making those, so let the community make them.  There are plenty of experienced mappers who will jump at the chance.  And as I pointed out in another post, you guys are nearing the end of popular fighters to make modules for.  I think your past was strictly the clouds and above.  Your future is going to be much closer to the ground.

Heh, one of my favorite maps from a long ago game was a huge kitchen where the players were the size of large beetles.  THAT would be fun in DCS!  Carrying out anti-tank warfare while hovering behind the toaster. 😜  Let the community make their fantasy maps.  You won't have to pay a dime for it, and you'll get people buying up your modules who before had no interest in your sim.

I do like your maps though.  Flying down the roads and skinny rivers in the Caucus map with the Ka-50 is one of my favorite pass times.

Have you thought about building mission for you and your friends, in small part of any of the maps?

If you could put together some missions and close engagements with combined arms, and the helicopters- It wouldnt be perfect, but it might be a start.
I would of thought that this is where the 'close engagement game' would start?

All it takes is a person like yourself with a 'dream', why not try putting your thoughts into mission building and gain some traction for those others who also want the same things?
I dont think youd need a 'mod' to build an RTS style campaign. Just a little time, and research into what others want from that part of the game..