Super Carrier off the coast of California possible?

Hollister56

Hello DCS,

Is it possible to position a SC off the coast of California?

Now that we have the Nevada terrain it would be a short flight out to the coast to practice carrier landings and return to base.

Maybe add Lemoore or North Island to this terrain in an update?  

That would be cool for sure.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Hollister56
  • Like 2

• Hollister56 changed the title to Super Carrier off the coast of California possible?
23 minutes ago, Hollister56 said:

Hello DCS,

Now that we have the Nevada terrain it would be a short flight out to the coast to practice carrier landings and return to base.

Thanks,

Ed

Well, North Island would require adding a 'few' buildings in the surrounding area😉 then wait... can't forget Miramar, behind these buildings!

Lemoore? Yea, I guess the devs could create a corridor from NV and make it look semi-descent.

• Like 1

I have always said, the next map should be the West coast so we can bomb the crap out of it!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

I have always said, the next map should be the West coast so we can bomb the crap out of it!!!

Not over my setup of Patriot batteries. Oh hell, S300's out of TJ 😆 would do... 400's would do quite a bit better but we can't get those yet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

Not over my setup of Patriot batteries. Oh hell, S300's out of TJ 😆 would do... 400's would do quite a bit better but we can't get those yet. 

Plus I can’t fly for crap so I would probably hit the Hollywood sign 😕 

• Like 2

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

IIRC ED have repeatedly stated that:

- No expansions to Nevada will be made

- No new "training maps" (i.e. continental US airbases and their surrounding terrain like Miramar, Oceana etc.) will be developed.

So no, you cant place anything off the coast of California in DCS simply because there is no California in DCS and there is no intention to change that.

• Thanks 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

20 hours ago, Hollister56 said:

Hello DCS,

Thanks,

Ed

Would you rather it was exteneded to the West to include the Cities and the Supercarrier, Or to the East to allow monument valley, and the grand canyon?

Maybe a 3rd party developer can do it and sell it on DCS?

3 party developers like they do for planes?

I would like to see some of the California coast developed, at least one Navy base and a few hundred square miles of the Pacific ocean.

Edited by Hollister56
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

What I would like to see is the ability for users to create their own scenery, like basically every other flight sim has.  It would solve a lot of these problems...

This WOULD be amazing.
It would result in amazing free mods. And sadly that would stop ED from being able to charge for assets.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StevanJ said:

This WOULD be amazing.
It would result in amazing free mods. And sadly that would stop ED from being able to charge for assets.

Oh, I know, I'm sure that's the thought process at ED.  I'm not sure it really holds up though, when you consider all the other sims that have had BOTH a thriving scenery-building community, AND a thriving payware scenery market.  The two don't seem to be mutually exclusive, and more available maps would inevitably draw more people to the DCS ecosystem, so...

• Like 2

Do you realise how much effort it requires to build a map even half the size of e.g. NTTR to current standards, especially in densely populated areas like the US coastal regions? Noone is going to go down that road for free, so it doesn't matter what tools ED can provide to the community. The other sims where we have "a thriving scenery-building community" are completely different. The scenery there is limited to single airports, cities or orthophotos+vector data (i.e. roads, powerlines etc.), all build on a base world thats already available. Here, nothing is available and has to be made from scratch. Thats tens of thousands of square miles of cities, forrest, fields, airports and what not. Noone is going to make that for free so there is no point for ED to invest time and money (building and maintaining SDKs is also expensive) into providing anyone with anything for free. 

These "ED is greedy and keeps the good stuff to themselves" stuff is pure nonesense, considering the top quality content we are getting at IMO very fair prices.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see any airbase with a fleet replacement squadron based on it, but the reality is that the majority of users apparently does not and prefers current/historical/likey theaters of war, hence the maps that are or are not being developed.

• Like 4

But... sat imagery on a mesh, with hand placed 3d objects at a density level that makes the scenery dev happy, would certainly be an option.  I have a very good idea of the amount of time that goes into scenery creation, and I think you too easily dismiss the level of commitment of the folks who enjoy it ;).

One easy example of where this argument falls apart is island maps.  They're mostly water, and the land masses can be rendered to a detail level that's up to the dev.  There was talk in the WWII forums of a Solomon Islands map; something like this, split across several scenery devs, could be a fantastic project.  I can guarantee you that people would step up to do it... yes, *gasp*, even for free!  😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

But... sat imagery on a mesh, with hand placed 3d objects at a density level that makes the scenery dev happy, would certainly be an option.  I have a very good idea of the amount of time that goes into scenery creation, and I think you too easily dismiss the level of commitment of the folks who enjoy it ;).

One easy example of where this argument falls apart is island maps.  They're mostly water, and the land masses can be rendered to a detail level that's up to the dev.  There was talk in the WWII forums of a Solomon Islands map; something like this, split across several scenery devs, could be a fantastic project.  I can guarantee you that people would step up to do it... yes, *gasp*, even for free!  😉

Id love a 'wake island' addition to the new Mariana' Map..
Its 1000 miles away though..

• Like 2

The fact that scenery building in DCS can be reduced to modelling tiny islands doesnt justify the need for open source scenery building tools. We are talking areas large enough for jet ops.  I take NTTR as a substitute for a NAS over Miramar that looks like its from FS98 any time of the day. I would like to be proven wrong but I don't see that coming, at least not at the level ED got us used to.

I was just thinking is would be great to fly out of NTTR, go out to the coast where a carrier is and practice out there on the carrier and then fly back to NTTR.  It can't be that hard to make an area, just water, to put a carrier off the coast of California.   Or can it?   I don't know.....................

• Like 1

Yeah I'd really want Miramar and San Clemente Island, etc but probably not ever happening.  Expansion of NTTR to cover the whole southwest would be natural since it seemed pretty routine for Miramar based squadrons to fly dets to El Toro, Fallon, etc. 

The best solution would be some sort of lower resolution photogrammetry solution for the whole globe with detailed maps with destructible terrain sold as modules for specific scenarios.   A basic terrain editor would be very cool in the ME.   

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 weeks later...