When to flare and cut throttle?

LastRifleRound

1 hour ago, LastRifleRound said:

I keep hitting like a ton of bricks or ballooning with the mirage on my landings. Velocity vector in ILS box, chevrons on brackets, velocity vector in brackets. All should be good. Any pointers?

Try practicing slow speed flight - observe the relation between throttle and stick movement and the effects that result. Observe behaviour at landing speeds when you change stick position or make throttle chops. Learn how the airframe responds.

Time spent practicing at low speeds just above the stall will be beneficial in other phases of flight also.

A lot of people only spend small amounts of time at low speeds - landing, or panicking in an A2A engagement trying to feel what’s going to happen, as it’s uncharted territory for the majority. Spend time here, learn the airframe at the limits of lift. You can only benefit.

• Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Yeah this issue can be a pain in the ass.

Try to fly a shallower approach, maybe 2°. This way your flare will be smaller and less important to your gear health.

You got to get the feeling for it, there is not "flare height" so to speak.

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Never had this issue, i approach on landing AOA and flare at 30ft AGL, putting FPM at the end of runway while reducing gently to idle.

Be sure to look at the MLW table provided in the manual. You'll have to be more careful if coming back with too much fuel.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

I keep hitting like a ton of bricks or ballooning with the mirage on my landings. Velocity vector in ILS box, chevrons on brackets, velocity vector in brackets. All should be good. Any pointers?

To make a summary of some the advice above:

- try to land below 11t

- flare gently passing 30ft

- extend speed brake on touch down.

Even the best can bounce from time to time, don't be ashamed 😉

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 2 months later...

Cut the throttle and flare are more aggressive words than should apply to landing this kind of airplane. The approach aimpoint is prior to the touchdown point often the first inch of paved runway or earlier. At some height there is a transition into a roundout which smoothly drags the flight path down the runway. Near the end of the roundout the airplane is at a much shallower angle than the approach and nearly at the touchdown AOA. If the airplane was to touchdown in this condition the airplane might bounce or be uncomfortable but not break anything.

As the height approaches zero the throttle and stick is managed to increase AOA while decreasing vertical rate and throttling back to prevent ascending.

• 2 weeks later...

Maintain AOA of 12-14 units and airspeed of 150 KIAS, with 130 KIAS at runway threshhold, maintain Flightpath indicator on runway threshold, and gradually ease onto touchdown area. Be sure to be in APP mode and adjust your seat height for landing. Burn off fuel so that you are on internal only on approach. Do all that, and aircraft will almost land itself without crunching gear.