HMD - Boxed Diamond

Caldera

Hey Guys,

I took this snap shot. As you can see that there are two artifacts in the HMD.   One of them is the SPI and the other one is a diamond with the box around it.

Stramge Box 01.gif

Any one know what the symbology of the boxed diamond represents?

The SPI is not at the location that I had placed it before my attack.  It has moved to the nearby steer point.  The SPI should be on the T-55 that I just shot at the location of the diamond.  Only thing that I can think of is that I must have HOTAS flubbed some where mid attack and the SPI moved.  With my HOTAS set-up that would be fairly difficult to do as the same thumb would have been holding the max zoom button down at the time.  Although I don't remember doing that, I must have.  Caused some weirdness in the HUD during the attack.

Caldera

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Hey Guys,

I took this snap shot. As you can see that there are two artifacts in the HMD.   One of them is the SPI and the other one is a diamond with the box around it.

Stramge Box 01.gif

Any one know what the symbology of the boxed diamond represents?

The SPI is not at the location that I had placed it before my attack.  It has moved to the nearby steer point.  The SPI should be on the T-55 that I just shot at the location of the diamond.  Only thing that I can think of is that I must have HOTAS flubbed some where mid attack and the SPI moved.  With my HOTAS set-up that would be fairly difficult to do as the same thumb would have been holding the max zoom button down at the time.  Although I don't remember doing that, I must have.  Caused some weirdness in the HUD during the attack.

Caldera

The box with the Diamond in it - is the LOS of your TGP.

It is also indicating (the the small size) - that your TGP is in narrow field of view and zoomed in (probably max).

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Ziptie,

18 hours ago, Ziptie said:

The box with the Diamond in it - is the LOS of your TGP.

It is also indicating (the the small size) - that your TGP is in narrow field of view and zoomed in (probably max).

Interesting, but now I am totaling lost.  At the time of this snap shot I was flying away and the TGP was masked and / or probably recovering from a gymbal roll. 

The best I can remember, the TGP was staring at a piece of dirt some where LIS (Lost in Space).  I have the feeling that its LIS was the SPI as shown on the picture.  For sure, its LOS was not at the 30mm uranium depleted swiss cheese of a tank that I had just shot at.

My head hurts and I am thinking that in this case ignorance is bliss...

504Blade,

It is just about impossible for me to focus on much of anything out of cockpit (TrackIR) well enough to get the TGP to accurately move to it.  But maybe, doing as you say will get me in the ball park or zip code for a target I think is near by.  So I will give it a try.

Thanks again,

Caldera

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ziptie,

Interesting, but now I am totaling lost.  At the time of this snap shot I was flying away and the TGP was masked and / or probably recovering from a gymbal roll. 

The best I can remember, the TGP was staring at a piece of dirt some where LIS (Lost in Space).  I have the feeling that its LIS was the SPI as shown on the picture.  For sure, its LOS was not at the 30mm uranium depleted swiss cheese of a tank that I had just shot at.

My head hurts and I am thinking that in this case ignorance is bliss...

504Blade,

It is just about impossible for me to focus on much of anything out of cockpit (TrackIR) well enough to get the TGP to accurately move to it.  But maybe, doing as you say will get me in the ball park or zip code for a target I think is near by.  So I will give it a try.

Thanks again,

Caldera

Well the box with the diamond in the middle of it - is 100% your TGP LOS.  Depending on what type of track you had the TGP in (PTRK, ATRK, INR) dictates the likelihood of your TGP recovering from gimbal roll (or not).

The TGP can be masked - but the HMCS will still indicate where the TGP is looking (you just won't see an image on the display (either MFD or HMCS if you have the TGP image toggled on for the HMCS - which is DMSLS with HMCS SOI by the way).

I use VR, so I have no experience with TrackIR (thankfully) - but I can definitively say - that being able to "look" at a target, target AO, or suspected target AO, with you Mk. I eyeballs, and quickly snap the TGP LOS to that spot/area - is single handily the biggest advantage of having the HMCS (there are loads of other benefits of course, creating a mark point via the HMCS is just one other).  It is a shame that is seems like this is a difficulty for you with TrackIR - but something I would strongly recommend you working on a solution to remedy.  Whether that is discovering a way to achieve this while using TrackIR, or contemplating stepping up to a VR headset.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

17 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ziptie,

The way I think of it, whenever you slew the TGP to a new direction, the TGP defines a point on the ground based on LOS and known elevation from the digital terrain system.  That location is retained even when the TGP is masked, which is why it can recover after most gimbal limit or masking problems, and it's that location that's shown in the HMCS (even if the TGP has been masked or gimbal rolled).  The one gimbal problem it CAN'T seem to recover from is that damn dead zone directly ahead.

I suspect you had the TGP aimed at the tank as you went in for a gun run.  Gun runs put the target very close to that TGP dead zone, so it probably jumped off the tank as you rolled in, but you didn't notice because the gun pipper occludes the TGP diamond on the HUD (and you were probably target focused).

The gist of it is, put your TGP in INR mode (TMS Aft short) if you want it to stay on your target during a gun or rocket run

Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately, the vision in my right (dominant) eye is not always in a state of 100% unreadiness.  This caused by my over worked and over fatigued ground crew.  They never get a break from repairing my aircraft, much less performing the required maintenance.  And because of macular degeneration.  Working on it...

I have not noticed this the boxed diamond before or since that event.  The TGP artifact that I have noticed is similar, but the outer box is clearly dashed and looks different from what I have shown above.  I will try to get some pictures.

Caldera

Edit:  I found the diamond!

Stramge Box 02.gif

Stramge Box 03.gif

Edited by Caldera

On 3/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, Ziptie said:

I use VR, so I have no experience with TrackIR (thankfully) - but I can definitively say - that being able to "look" at a target, target AO, or suspected target AO, with you Mk. I eyeballs, and quickly snap the TGP LOS to that spot/area - is single handily the biggest advantage of having the HMCS (there are loads of other benefits of course, creating a mark point via the HMCS is just one other).  It is a shame that is seems like this is a difficulty for you with TrackIR - but something I would strongly recommend you working on a solution to remedy.  Whether that is discovering a way to achieve this while using TrackIR, or contemplating stepping up to a VR headset.

It's definitely more difficult using TIR than VR, but it's mostly a result of the "my actual head is pointed this way, my in-game head is pointed in exaggerated version of the way that my actual head is pointed, and my eyes are pointed in the opposite direction back at the screen" factor. It just takes some getting used to.

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Stramge Box 02.gif

Stramge Box 03.gif

Looks to me like you're more zoomed in and/or closer to the target in the second image. IIRC, the dashes and corner hashes are a consistent size, so you can't have any dashes if it's zoomed in too far.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Caldera said:

Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately, the vision in my right (dominant) eye is not always in a state of 100% unreadiness.  This caused by my over worked and over fatigued ground crew.  They never get a break from repairing my aircraft, much less performing the required maintenance.  And because of macular degeneration.  Working on it...

I have not noticed this the boxed diamond before or since that event.  The TGP artifact that I have noticed is similar, but the outer box is clearly dashed and looks different from what I have shown above.  I will try to get some pictures.

Caldera

Edit:  I found the diamond!

IIRC, you can switch the HMCS display to your left eye or both eyes in the A-10C settings from the main menu.  If your eyes have different acuity, it might help?

Jay,

Thanks!  But not so much like that for looking at a flat screen.   The HMD left or right eye makes zero difference in game.

The problem is my physical head rotation with TrackIR.   I am pretty sure that my brain switches eyes to always use the one with the best vision, my left.  Turning my head to the right is bad but not too.   It is fairly hard for me to focus on ground objects.  I am guessing that is the same for everyone.  Turning my head to the left is different.  Maybe my nose is in the way, glasses, whatever.  Turning my head to the left is just way harder for me to focus on the screen in front of me.  I basically have to change my whole body position.  Working on it...

Generally I try to use the TGP or even the HUD for targeting.  I do allot better looking straight forward.

Caldera

19 hours ago, Caldera said:

Jay,

Thanks!  But not so much like that for looking at a flat screen.   The HMD left or right eye makes zero difference in game.

The problem is my physical head rotation with TrackIR.   I am pretty sure that my brain switches eyes to always use the one with the best vision, my left.  Turning my head to the right is bad but not too.   It is fairly hard for me to focus on ground objects.  I am guessing that is the same for everyone.  Turning my head to the left is different.  Maybe my nose is in the way, glasses, whatever.  Turning my head to the left is just way harder for me to focus on the screen in front of me.  I basically have to change my whole body position.  Working on it...

Generally I try to use the TGP or even the HUD for targeting.  I do allot better looking straight forward.

Caldera

Oooooh, I thought you were talking about VR, not TrackIR, never mind! 🙂