SA19 Being used to Kill Main Battle Tanks

Hawkeye_UK

Yeah this is ridiculous... A proximity fuse HE fragmentation warhead going through any MBT front armor, how to say...  As for intercepting AGMs, the SA-19 has a FCR and missiles similar to the ones used by the CIWS Kashtan, so it wouldn't surprise me if it could intercept some missiles.

@Hawkeye_UK I'm not surprised it can shoot down Mavericks - part of it's design role is to be able to intercept PGMs.

As for killing tanks - it shouldn't be able to do anything apart from damage tracks, optics and external components. The only place it should be able to penetrate an Abrams are the hull sides and rear (which are pretty weak).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know what this dude is going on about, but the 30mm is close to useless, even at point blank it takes huge amount of rounds to kill a tank. At anything more than a couple of hundred meters, it does nothing, even on the side.

On the other hand the missile, although not really game breaking, shouldn't really be hurting so much. After all these missiles use continuous-rod and cube warheads, which shoot out sideways.... so not much actually hitting a vehicle, unless it proximity fuzes sideways.

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Well, it's been a while and there have been a few patches, maybe the issue is resolved now?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

1 hour ago, Looney said:

Well, it's been a while and there have been a few patches, maybe the issue is resolved now?

Seems so.

Missiles are doing nothing frontally to the Abrams.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Just now, Shadow KT said:

They still do, that hasn't changed.

Not seeing it on my end though.

They're not doing anything to the Abrams frontally from what I can see.

System:

12 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Not seeing it on my end though.

They're not doing anything to the Abrams frontally from what I can see.

Did you look at the video ?

You need to have some distance, because the missile does this funny up down TOW thing, when you fire it. If you have enough distance to straighten it out, it still penetrates frontally.

Check 7:22 and after in the video.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

42 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

Did you look at the video ?

You need to have some distance, because the missile does this funny up down TOW thing, when you fire it. If you have enough distance to straighten it out, it still penetrates frontally

In your video, when you engage the Abrams frontally, you did no damage? That's what I'm seeing.

EDIT: Though you did do damage to the Leo 2, which isn't right.

Let me just do a quick test, it might've been that the missile was proxy fusing on the tank (though I didn't think they did that).

EDIT 2: I'm seeing the same thing in your video.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

31 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

In your video, when you engage the Abrams frontally, you did no damage? That's what I'm seeing.

EDIT: Though you did do damage to the Leo 2, which isn't right.

Let me just do a quick test, it might've been that the missile was proxy fusing on the tank (though I didn't think they did that).

EDIT: I'm seeing the same thing in your video.

Watch the damn video from 7:22 onwards... continue watching after after the first shot, which is an example.... I shoot once from closer range, the missile goes up and down and does no damage, I move further away to allow for it to straighten up and all of a sudden I can penetrate every tank frontally.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

46 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

Watch the damn video from 7:22 onwards... Don't just pause, the first shot is an example.... I shoot once from closer range, the missile goes up and down and does no damage, I move further away to allow for it to straighten up and all of a sudden I can penetrate every tank frontally.

And read the damn edit...

And before anybody has a go at me, the edit I did recently was just changing "EDIT: I'm seeing the same thing in your video" to "EDIT 2: I'm seeing the same thing in your video" and your quote shows that.

I.e at shorter ranges (for some reason) it doesn't do damage, presumably it's impacting the ground and it's just difficult to tell, but in subsequent tests where I slowed time down to see if the missile actually hit the tank. It does damage, which isn't correct - especially from the front.

Incidentally, the proximity fuse on the missile looks like it's optical (i.e laser) and faces to the sides, so if it directly impacts something, it might not fuse unless it penetrates it, but I doubt the missile is going to have more than a few 10s of mm of RHAe penetration, which is far less than anywhere on the front of the Abrams (in the track below I hit the LFP which has at least a few hundred mm of RHAe protection against KE projectiles (I would love to find the armour value for that area DCS uses, but they've hidden the .lua file for it).

9M311_Abrams_Kill_Front.trk

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System: