What would be your preferred F-4 variant?

NateDoggGaming

RAF F-4M Phantom FGR.2 circa late 70s/80s (w. Skyflash and ARI. 18228).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Personally, I'd wish for the most famous and widely sold F-4E and it is more versatile in being truly Multi role/ Multi - purpose and the internal cannon is an added bonus if you run out of missiles or miss, thereby giving you a lot more options. And yes, this is the one that had been ballparked by ED. More sales value in relation with development costs.

But, for a special variant. I'd hope for the British variant, one with the Rolls Royce, it gives us a lot more options with our upcoming Falkland map. More sales value in relation with development costs here as well.

Even Still...I see the regular USN/USMC F-4J having more likely possibility of being done....no probs with those either. 

- Not interested in: B, C, D Phantoms... too dated...

- Certainly not interested in the Niche Wild Weasel and Recon Phantoms that are just only meant for Single type missions.

So ultimately it is hard to say...but for me, and I am quite sure the majority of players here will have no probs of the following Phantoms. E (this is extra versatile having a built in cannon), Any late doable Naval variants.

RR British would be good to if we do have the info availability on these rare types...

Edited by jojyrocks

1 hour ago, NateDoggGaming said:

Personally my favorite would be a F-4G wild weasel.

If possible that would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Buzzles said:

Yeah, this thread:

There really just needs to be a pinned thread for the most common ones atm, to cut down all the extra threads.

I think we got some Phantom Phanatics around here my answer remains the same B,C, D,E, F (Ice),G, J,K,M, N, and  S in short as many as I can afford. 

F-4E DMAS/ARN-101, F-4G Wild Weasel V, F-4J, F-4S... and a RF-4C.

photo_9999_302758.jpg

photo_104749.jpg

photo_123833.jpg

photo_30595.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

On 3/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, jojyrocks said:

Personally, I'd wish for the most famous and widely sold F-4E and it is more versatile in being truly Multi role/ Multi - purpose and the internal cannon is an added bonus if you run out of missiles or miss, thereby giving you a lot more options. And yes, this is the one that had been ballparked by ED. More sales value in relation with development costs.

But, for a special variant. I'd hope for the British variant, one with the Rolls Royce, it gives us a lot more options with our upcoming Falkland map. More sales value in relation with development costs here as well.

Even Still...I see the regular USN/USMC F-4J having more likely possibility of being done....no probs with those either. 

- Not interested in: B, C, D Phantoms... too dated...

- Certainly not interested in the Niche Wild Weasel and Recon Phantoms that are just only meant for Single type missions.

So ultimately it is hard to say...but for me, and I am quite sure the majority of players here will have no probs of the following Phantoms. E (this is extra versatile having a built in cannon), Any late doable Naval variants.

RR British would be good to if we do have the info availability on these rare types...

All fair points, but it's not like we don't have a cold war aircraft in game. However, we actually don't have any true wild weasel aircraft so at least in my opinion it would be nice to have the G

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NateDoggGaming said:

However, we actually don't have any true wild weasel aircraft so at least in my opinion it would be nice to have the G

What makes the F-4G a "true wild weaser" aircraft?

I would have thought that now F-16CM would make great for that?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

38 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

From what I know, it means dedicated SEAD/DEAD aircraft, but I'm not sure. Also, modern multirole aircraft absolutely can do wild weaseling/SEAD but not like true wild weasel aircraft.

16 minutes ago, NateDoggGaming said:

From what I know, it means dedicated SEAD/DEAD aircraft, but I'm not sure.

Yes, but what technology makes it such.

Also, modern multirole aircraft absolutely can do wild weaseling/SEAD but not like true wild weasel aircraft.

Again it is question that what the F-4G has that example F-16CM with the proper ELINT pod etc can't do?

Like example the Soviets made MiG-25 as their "Wild Weasel" as BM variant. Radar was swapped to one with passive detector to locate the radars, powerful and advanced ECM etc.

Capable to fly fast and high or low and still get supersonic but carry four large ARM. Designed to fly through the enemy CAP, engage the SAM systems and return without CAP getting a change to intercept it. 

What I could find about hype for the F-4G is this: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/former-electronic-warfare-officer-explains-why-the-f-4g-was-the-best-wild-weasel-aircraft-usaf-has-ever-had

Edit: So based to that article, the F-4G should have superior capability to locate geologically the emitting radars all around it. 

And that again polls a question that how much better it really is against F-16CM with HTS pod?

Edit 2: I have built a opinion now that I wouldn't like to see a F-4G as primary variant (first to come) of the all possible other F-4's, as dedicated to just SEAD/DEAD is limiting, and when you need the EWO (electronic warfare officer) to do all that fancy stuff, I don't see it such preferred variant. Especially if the SAM/IADS is not modeled but is as current status. 

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

3 hours ago, Fri13 said:

What makes a wild weasel a weasel is the crew has the equipment to pin point the location of a radar. Until recently this often meant having an ewo.( electronic warfare officer) analyzing the signal.  My dad was an ewo on an eb-66 with the 41st TEWS. The 41st tews would fly elint prior to a strike then jam it during a strike. They worked with f-105Fs and Ds. While you could fly SEAD in a d thud, you could not get the range. The Weasles as I said had a similar rwr as the eb-66 and could get the range. I believe the hsi would point to a radar the ewo locked up. 

Edited by upyr1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NateDoggGaming said:

All fair points, but it's not like we don't have a cold war aircraft in game. However, we actually don't have any true wild weasel aircraft so at least in my opinion it would be nice to have the G

It is a niche aircraft for a VERY SPECIFIC role...not that worth the costs of development till DCS revamps the radar and ECM and IADS workings. Also, its more fitting for just MP centric people and people who are more into coordinated matches. So far, SP would not put much potential of this to full use. Not everyone has a rock solid internet connection nor is that much into MP playbase.

The E is pure multirole. At current, E can also do the same role as G..... It too can take on SAMs as well. Maybe, not to the refined ways of the G model which is built SOLELY for just taking out SAMS and that itself is only a single type mission plane and it is just an American specific plane unlike E having seen good use among other nations. 

Those Naval F-4 has more fun aspect and flexibility than the G versions. Also carrier fun.

What majority would want is a plane that is more flexible as far as mission varieties are concerned and not having to stick to just one niche role like SEAD or Reconnaissance dedicated versions of F-4.

It would be a bonus, having cannon ability or having the ability to carry cannon pods.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

It is a niche aircraft for a VERY SPECIFIC role...not that worth the costs of development till DCS revamps the radar and ECM and IADS workings. Also, its more fitting for just MP centric people and people who are more into coordinated matches. So far, SP would not put much potential of this to full use. Not everyone has a rock solid internet connection nor is that much into MP playbase.

The E is pure multirole. At current, E can also do the same role as G..... It too can take on SAMs as well. Maybe, not to the refined ways of the G model which is built SOLELY for just taking out SAMS and that itself is only a single type mission plane and it is just an American specific plane unlike E having seen good use among other nations. 

Those Naval F-4 has more fun aspect and flexibility than the G versions. Also carrier fun.

What majority would want is a plane that is more flexible as far as mission varieties are concerned and not having to stick to just one niche role like SEAD or Reconnaissance dedicated versions of F-4.

It would be a bonus, having cannon ability or having the ability to carry cannon pods.

Eagle is working on an IAD for dcs

The G is an E with the WSO replaced by an ewo. I suspect there is still too much that might be top secret 

• 2 months later...

Navy J multirole with powerfull doppler look-down radar to make it interestiong for the RIO and to operate from the aircraft carrier.

And silver paint air superiority F-4E for Vietnam or cold war gun kill.

Edited by kseremak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late 70s or 80s F-4E. It is absolute heresy anything else is even discussed. No F-4 is better than F-4 but not later block F-4E 😛

edit: well, J or S would be cool too. BUT ONLY in addition to E, and AFTER it 😛

Edited by WinterH
  • Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script