how to use with VR: SSLR, SSAA, MSAA, Pixel Density?

fitness88

Do you use 1 only or a little of each and what improvements should you notice with each.  I realize there will be a performance hit so I guess the question is how do you get the biggest bang for your buck?

Also, I understood awhile ago there was little VR benefit from enabling any of the settings in the Nvidia Control Panel 'Manage 3D Settings'...is that still the case?

Thank You

some of this is in my 3090 guidance in my sig block.  but there is no single "right answer"

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

A lot depends on the headset and the individual.

For instance for me and my Reverb G2, I find I prefer running it at 100% Steam VR resolution with motion smoothing forced at 45 fps ,and no MSAA.

This way I can run pretty high graphics settings and get a very nice image in my headset and performance is good with no stutters.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, dburne said:

A lot depends on the headset and the individual.

For instance for me and my Reverb G2, I find I prefer running it at 100% Steam VR resolution with motion smoothing forced at 45 fps ,and no MSAA.

This way I can run pretty high graphics settings and get a very nice image in my headset and performance is good with no stutters.

Thanks for your response dburne.

I have a 2080S, 64ram i7-10700K cpu variable to 5.1.

I find PD1.2, MSAA 2 seems a sweet spot for me not sure what the others do, I'll read up on the net.

One thing I noticed, without MSAA 2 I get a gold aura all around my canopy over water??

Edited by fitness88

59 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Thanks for your response dburne.

I have a 2080S, 64ram i7-10700K cpu variable to 5.1.

I find PD1.2, MSAA 2 seems a sweet spot for me not sure what the others do, I'll read up on the net.

One thing I noticed, without MSAA 2 I get a gold aura all around my canopy over water??

Can't say I have seen that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, fitness88 said:

this is a bug

No.  Just a graphical artifact like the jaggies: a byproduct of rendering water.  I believe it gets worse if you have Water = Medium or Low. 

Edited by glide

I have to keep water at "High" in vr, the artifacts are too distracting at other quality settings.  If you are using SSLR there is usually a bit of a matte line around the edges of the canopy and other objects that occlude the water.  I believe those reflections are calculated at a very low resolution so the artifact is exaggerated.

I would not recommend running SSLR or SSAA in VR.

If you can run a high enough resolution like Reverb G2 should not need any MSAA.

Don B

If you’ve got the power, running MSAA is a good thing. I can’t stand the jaggies without it, even on my G2. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I would not recommend running SSLR or SSAA in VR.

If you can run a high enough resolution like Reverb G2 should not need any MSAA.

Hey dburne I've seen your critique of the Rift and Rift s, well done...what say you re: G2?

I cant run sslr in vr, way too much of a frametime hit.  I do prioritize running msaa at least at 2x over max resolution with the g2.  It’s way to shimmery without some aa.  Things like runway lights at dusk just swim all over the place without aa regardless of resolution. 

8 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Hey dburne I've seen your critique of the Rift and Rift s, well done...what say you re: G2?

Loving it, using it daily.

Initial setup and getting it where I wanted it was a bit of a pain, but once there it has been a beautiful thing.

Don B

Loving it, using it daily.

Initial setup and getting it where I wanted it was a bit of a pain, but once there it has been a beautiful thing.

Surprised to hear about the setup, is it comfortable and do you have to purchase any accessories with it?

46 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Surprised to hear about the setup, is it comfortable and do you have to purchase any accessories with it?

Each bit is relatively easy, WMR is literally plug and play, steam is pretty much as well ... but getting all of them and DCS optimally to work together is a challenge... IMO the workload is harder if you are coming from Oculus or pure steam world mainly because of unlearning some things.  Also because the body of knowledge and wisdom is smaller and filled with a lot of "folk lore".

there are no additional accessories to purchase, if you have the headset and the controllers you have all you need, you can i think purchase a headset without controllers, i think that limits your options, and may increase complexity/reduce quality of life getting into game, but functionally wont impact your ability to play 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, fitness88 said:

No you certainly do not have to purchase any accessories for the Reverb G2, as it comes out of the box it is plenty sufficient. I also found it very comfortable for my head shape.

I added a couple of things just for my personal tastes.

Extended earbuds, I prefer in ear earbuds and since the headset has no headphone jack, I bought an extended set to run to my PC's soundcard jack. I like the in ear as it gives me more immersion by isolating any ambient noise.

New VR Cover for it from VR Covers. I like it better as it gets my face closer to the lens. More comfortable to me as well, been using it a couple of weeks now.

Neither of the above was necessary for me, but two things I really wanted so I got them and glad I did.

Don B

No you certainly do not have to purchase any accessories for the Reverb G2, as it comes out of the box it is plenty sufficient. I also found it very comfortable for my head shape.

I added a couple of things just for my personal tastes.

Extended earbuds, I prefer in ear earbuds and since the headset has no headphone jack, I bought an extended set to run to my PC's soundcard jack. I like the in ear as it gives me more immersion by isolating any ambient noise.

New VR Cover for it from VR Covers. I like it better as it gets my face closer to the lens. More comfortable to me as well, been using it a couple of weeks now.

Neither of the above was necessary for me, but two things I really wanted so I got them and glad I did.

What exactly is this?

I started with Rift then went to Rift S like many but had difficulty with its IPD as it was only digital, non-mechanical.  How is it on resources?  I'm using 2080S, 64ram i7-10700K cpu variable to 5.1.

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Each bit is relatively easy, WMR is literally plug and play, steam is pretty much as well ... but getting all of them and DCS optimally to work together is a challenge... IMO the workload is harder if you are coming from Oculus or pure steam world mainly because of unlearning some things.  Also because the body of knowledge and wisdom is smaller and filled with a lot of "folk lore".

there are no additional accessories to purchase, if you have the headset and the controllers you have all you need, you can i think purchase a headset without controllers, i think that limits your options, and may increase complexity/reduce quality of life getting into game, but functionally wont impact your ability to play 

For sure I'd be getting the controllers, I'm glad you mentioned it doesn't come with them.

1 hour ago, fitness88 said:

What exactly is this?

I started with Rift then went to Rift S like many but had difficulty with its IPD as it was only digital, non-mechanical.  How is it on resources?  I'm using 2080S, 64ram i7-10700K cpu variable to 5.1.

I am assuming you are asking about the VR Cover I mentioned as you had it highlighted in red.

https://us.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-and-foam-replacement-set-for-hp-reverb-g2

It is a replacement cover for the stock one that comes with the Reverb G2.

Not sure on your question on resources, as obviously it would not use any.

Don B

5 hours ago, dburne said:

I am assuming you are asking about the VR Cover I mentioned as you had it highlighted in red.

https://us.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-and-foam-replacement-set-for-hp-reverb-g2

It is a replacement cover for the stock one that comes with the Reverb G2.

Not sure on your question on resources, as obviously it would not use any.

With the increase in resolution I would expect a performance hit...not that we have the same systems but from what you have how are you handling settings and FPS?

7 hours ago, fitness88 said:

For sure I'd be getting the controllers, I'm glad you mentioned it doesn't come with them.

There is a version of the headset that ships without the controllers, the default is that it has them.

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

There is a version of the headset that ships without the controllers, the default is that it has them.

Best place to purchase?  I can purchase an extra 1 then?

Edited by fitness88

No idea where you live, I live the UK, so my advice would be.... where ever it’s in stock.