EA, Multicrew, and SP Usability?

Nealius

6 minutes ago, bart said:

Good question, I'm not sure.

I'll try and dig something up on it, but maybe Bozon could chime in here as he is our resident Mosquito expert. I think those radios were just fitted in single seat aircraft where the pilot hasn't got the time to fiddle with radios, so the A-D boxes were there so he could switch channels instantly.

The little box appears on other pic, has similar as the same channel radio box present on Spitfire Mk.IX.

dcs-world-mosquito-fb-mk-vi-01.jpg

The radio navigatos seat has present on other pic, I think that the second crew on multiplayer or the AI navigator.
dcs-world-mosquito-fb-mk-vi-03.jpg

Edited by Silver_Dragon

8 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Took me a solid 5 minutes to find that thing. Down by the pilot's left calf, for anyone else looking. 

Good spot. 

I couldn't find it at all. I was just about to post asking where it is.

Well, I guess that clears that issue up. We should have radio functionality on EA release.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, bart said:

Good question, I'm not sure.

I'll try and dig something up on it, but maybe Bozon could chime in here as he is our resident Mosquito expert. I think those radios were just fitted in single seat aircraft where the pilot hasn't got the time to fiddle with radios, so the A-D boxes were there so he could just switch channels instantly.

Thanks, but I am just a drooling fan, not a great scholar expert. From what I do know (mostly pilot notes) FB.VIs had both VHF and HF radios. The VHF should be the one for communicating with the tower etc. lile the other warbirds, and HF is for long ranges. The equipment can be of different configurations that I know little about. The stuff installed behind the pilot (radio receivers, transmitters, DF and/or Gee) changed configurations from squadron to the next and over time. 

It will be interesting if the HF will be functional and how will we be able to use it.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 1 month later...

Hello,
i really like that the mosquito is multi-crew but should also be flyable solo without too much need to rely on an AI.

However i'm now wondering how multicrew will work. i'm a bit concerned that the radio guy/navigator simply hasn't enough to do to make the job fun for more than a short session.

Maybe you could speculate how the navigator will fit in from a "gameplay" point of view? Of course you could simply only play night mission with bad weather and other challenges that are designed to give the navigator a run for his money, but at some point you'll want to do other missions as well.

Do you look forward to playing as navigator? Do you think Mission Editors will need to design missions around the navigator's workload to not make it boring for him?

What else is there for the navigator to do when things are "quiet" and the course is set? Could he help with engine management f.e.? Could he have working binoculars to help with long range spotting? Does the FB mkVI have a bomb sight for the navigator?

On 4/25/2021 at 2:30 PM, twistking said:

Hello,
i really like that the mosquito is multi-crew but should also be flyable solo without too much need to rely on an AI.

However i'm now wondering how multicrew will work. i'm a bit concerned that the radio guy/navigator simply hasn't enough to do to make the job fun for more than a short session.

Maybe you could speculate how the navigator will fit in from a "gameplay" point of view? Of course you could simply only play night mission with bad weather and other challenges that are designed to give the navigator a run for his money, but at some point you'll want to do other missions as well.

Do you look forward to playing as navigator? Do you think Mission Editors will need to design missions around the navigator's workload to not make it boring for him?

What else is there for the navigator to do when things are "quiet" and the course is set? Could he help with engine management f.e.? Could he have working binoculars to help with long range spotting? Does the FB mkVI have a bomb sight for the navigator?

Pinpoint Navigation at tree-top height is no laughing matter; with a pilot concentrating on not hitting anything it is essential to have a Nav who can take that burden from you, especially considering factors such as Time on Target are far more critical in the Mossies assigned missions than any fighter sweep.

The Nav isn't just working out where you are, he's correcting the courses for any changes in drift and recommending revised speeds so you hit the waypoints, and ultimately the target, when you should.

In an icon off F10 multiplayer environment, running round dodging chimneys, trees and church spires you would be bloody glad of a 'breather' Nav worth his salt.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Pinpoint Navigation at tree-top height is no laughing matter; with a pilot concentrating on not hitting anything it is essential to have a Nav who can take that burden from you, especially considering factors such as Time on Target are far more critical in the Mossies assigned missions than any fighter sweep. [...]

Well, that brings me to another questions. What are mission types you'd assign to a mosssie fb mk6? low level interdiction seems obvious, but what else? what would the fb variants do historically and what role could they maybe do in dcs with some creative freedom? am i right in assuming that the FBs did not have a bomb sight?

23 minutes ago, twistking said:

Well, that brings me to another questions. What are mission types you'd assign to a mosssie fb mk6? low level interdiction seems obvious, but what else? what would the fb variants do historically and what role could they maybe do in dcs with some creative freedom? am i right in assuming that the FBs did not have a bomb sight?

As you say missions would be low level ramrod type attacks with a specific target, usually short range with fighter cover, Spitfires or commonly Typhoons. The purpose of these ramrod attacks was not only to damage infrastructure and materiel but also to draw out the Luftwaffe and make them engage RAF fighters on unfavourable terms.

The Mosquito wasn’t a day fighter, its one of the few roles it couldn’t fulfil. It could mix it with single engine types but you wouldn’t make fighter sweeping its primary mission, it’s a two seat twin and really its always going to come of worst 1v1 versus a decently piloted FW or 109. Apparently the RAF spent a lot of time setting up 1v1 matchups to develop tactics but really running was always the best option.

• Thanks 1

Mosquito FB Mk.VI Mission Roles, targets and attack type summaries:

1. Daytime Low-level Precision Strike - Fixed high value target. Nap of the earth (hedge hopping) throughout. Weapon release altitude <100ft.
  2. Maritime anti-shipping (bombs) - Transit across sea @ ~50ft altitude. Weapon release altitude <100ft.
  3. Maritime anti-shipping (Rocket Projectile) - Transit across sea @ ~50ft altitude. Pop-up to 3,000-5,000ft for the attack run. Weapon release altitude ~1000ft range.
  4. NOBALL - Nap of the earth (hedge hopping) transit. Pop up to 3,000-8,000ft for the attack run. Shallow dive to target. Weapon release altitude <1000ft.
  5. Night Interdiction - Cruise and search for targets 3,000-4,000ft, no lower than 2,000ft. Pilots cleared to minimum 500ft on attack runs.
  6. Night Intruder - 2,000-3,000ft transit to and patrol target area. If airfield lit, climb to 5,000ft and release bombs on runway.

Day Interdiction was not really tried till April 1945 (Operation Clarion) and that didn't work out well for the Mossies. 

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With so many bombing profiles under 100ft and so many night missions, we really need delayed fuses and skipping physics, plus some way to illuminate runways on Normandy and Channel. Otherwise we won't be getting much more than points 3 and 4 out of the Mossie. With only poin't 4 possibly on initial release, as I understand rockets will come later. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

There is a nicely done episode on the History Channel about the Mosquito.. original pilots are interviewed.  They even talked at one point (and show some historical film footage) about how they would drop 500 lb flare bombs from fairly low levels around a target at night to mark a target area for higher altitude bomber flights. Per DD_Fenrir above, the interviewed pilots speak a great deal about how they would search and attack.

I recommend looking it up and watching it if you have not already and are interested in the historical background and use of this aircraft.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:30 PM, twistking said:

Hello,

I think it can be fun. Imagining having a friend to watch you back and constantly yelling "We've got one on our tail!! He is getting closer!! Do something!!!!!!".

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰