EA, Multicrew, and SP Usability?

Nealius

The recent newsletter mentioned these two tidbits:

The Mosquito will be optimised for multi-crew

(Later in Early Acces) Controllable AI navigator/radio operator

My question is, how useable will the Mossie be in SP during the initial EA release? With the lack of controllable AI navigator/radio operator, does that mean we will not be able to manipulate the radios without active pause and switching seats? Will we be able to single-handedly control all the weapons, engine management, navigation, and radios without the AI or multicrew? 

• Like 5

Well, I really don't think there will be any physical limitations on what you can click, the navigator/radio operator is more a case of reducing workload for the pilot. Flying at 100ft on low level missions, you'd want your eyes out front as much as possible. I'm sure you will be able to operate the radios by yourself in single player, just don't forget to look where you're going whist you're doing it! 🤣

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

Will we be able to single-handedly control all the weapons, engine management, navigation, and radios without the AI or multicrew?

This should not be a problem. "All the weapns" are just guns, cannons and bombs (later rockets). The same like nearly every other WW2 fighter available in DCS 😉 (especially the p-47).

3 hours ago, Phantom453 said:

Today's newsletter states that the radios (transmitter & receiver) and navigation system will come after EA, along with the AI navigator/ radio operator and rockets.

I already said that in my opening post, and is the reason why I'm asking these questions at all.

Will it be like the Mi-8, where you have three crew positions but the single pilot in the left seat can still manage everything by himself? If that is the case then why would we need an AI navigator/radio operator at all? The inclusion of an AI implies that we will have limited functionality as a single crew member, and I would like ED clarification on exactly HOW limited we will be. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

I'm sure, you will be able to manage everything alone. The AI will lower your workload, as VH-Rock stated in his post. 

11 hours ago, Nealius said:

why would we need an AI navigator/radio operator at all?

...because the Mosquito is a 2-seater and this is DCS, which places great emphasis on realism.

The cockpit is not that big, that you can't reach everything alone.

Edited by felixx75

I cannot see why You shouldn´t be abe to use it in SP.

You might need to "jump" to the radio operators seat to set the radios, but I´m quite sure that You can communicate via the radios from the Pilot´s seat.

With a WW2 aircraft I even don´t think that there will be alot of frequency changes required during a flight.

Maybe the Mosquito comes with some kind of simple Autopilot to keep it level and follow the heading it had at AP engagement, just like we have in the Huey.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

11 hours ago, felixx75 said:

I'm sure, you will be able to manage everything alone. The AI will lower your workload, as VH-Rock stated in his post. 

...because the Mosquito is a 2-seater and this is DCS, which places great emphasis on realism.

So why don't the Mi-8 or Huey have AI? The logic doesn't add up when comparing to previously set precidents. 

The main thing, specifically from the newsletter, is that the actual radio transmitters and receivers won't be implemented until later in EA. This implies we will not have functioning radios at release. I'm still waiting for a response from ED on that one. 

Most of their customers are SP.

It would be an own goal if it's not usable for SP players, so it will be usable for SP players.

They have the technology for that in a much more developed state than the multi-crew multiplayer, can's see any reason they wouldn't apply it.... 

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

So why don't the Mi-8 or Huey have AI? The logic doesn't add up when comparing to previously set precidents. 

The main thing, specifically from the newsletter, is that the actual radio transmitters and receivers won't be implemented until later in EA. This implies we will not have functioning radios at release. I'm still waiting for a response from ED on that one. 

It's a computer program - if they chose to make the radios work like FC3 at first, they can, then upgrade them as they finish systems (oboe ?). 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Weta43 said:

It's a computer program - if they chose to make the radios work like FC3 at first, they can, then upgrade them as they finish systems (oboe ?). 

Could be Oboe, but that was mainly used for blind bombing (Oboe (navigation) - Wikipedia) most probably only fitted to the bomber variant such as the Mosquito B.IX's 

As we are getting the FB variant I was thinking it could be more along the lines of Gee which was a radio navigation system (Gee (navigation) - Wikipedia).

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

The DCS comment about the radios is most likely regarding the Gee system. This system was operated by the navigator and I don’t think that the pilot can even reach it from his seat.

Normal radios they have modeled for every plane and mosquito radios are not special. I doubt they intended to release it to EA without the ability to communicate with the tower.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

yeah but the question still remains, If you can fly it without AI, why include it later when everyone will have developed a way to fly without it...

Unless its gives New capabilities on navigation and the AI is there not to operate them instruments but to give you audio inputs by calling out bearings and altitudes and other useful stuff...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bozon said:

The DCS comment about the radios is most likely regarding the Gee system. This system was operated by the navigator and I don’t think that the pilot can even reach it from his seat.

Normal radios they have modeled for every plane and mosquito radios are not special. I doubt they intended to release it to EA without the ability to communicate with the tower.

The radios mentioned in the newsletter were the T/R1155, which are communications radios and not navigation radios, from what I can dig up online. The Wiki page on the Gee system and Oboe system do not mention these radios. 

Edited by Nealius

28 minutes ago, Nealius said:

The radios mentioned in the newsletter were the T/R1155, which are communications radios and not navigation radios, from what I can dig up online. The Wiki page on the Gee system and Oboe system do not mention these radios. 

Good point.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

1 hour ago, SUNTSAG said:

Hi All, The announcement stated that the Mossie would include both the T.1154 and the R.1155 and when used in conjunction with each other had DF (Direction Finding) capability. Cheers.

So, contrary to the announcement, we will have the T.1154 and R.1155 at initial EA release and not later in EA release? 

12 minutes ago, SUNTSAG said:

No....and that was your interpretation of what I wrote???? I simply confirmed the abilities of the transmitters and receivers announced as features coming after Early Access.

That was my interpretation because I thought it was an answer to my question of "would we have functioning radios on initial release?" Apparently it was an answer to a question nobody asked.

This is a simple yes or no question. Why is it so hard to get a response? 

Edited by Nealius

5 hours ago, Nealius said:

It applies to your statement here. Hope that helps.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, SUNTSAG said:

It applies to your statement here. Hope that helps.

That doesn't answer whether we will have functioning comms radios on initial release, so not really to be honest. The degree to which this question is being dodged leaves me to believe that either ED doesn't know exactly what will make it to initial release, or that we won't have functioning radios and they won't admit it because it might impact sales.

Edited by Nealius

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

You are correct, the T/R1155 radios are a completely different system to Gee.

I was talking about Gee in reference to what it said in the newsletter about quote "The historical accurate navigation system for WWII aircraft" which I would think at a guess could be Gee.

The T/R1155 you mention appeared in this screenshot released on 13th November 2020, and in the shot you can also clearly see the DF equipment SUNTSAG mentions in his post above.

dcs-world-mosquito-fb-mk-vi-04.jpg

I would guess the pilot would have difficulty getting access to these radios in flight as they are mounted behind his seat!, so - and this is just my guess, our AI navigator would operate these radios and possibly the DF equipment for you through a radio menu or in multiplayer the second crew guy would get to play with the set once it's functionality is added sometime after initial EA release.

But for the EA release maybe there will be a simplified version to allow us to communicate with ATC, or wingmen etc. until the T/R1155 functionality is implemented. But who knows......

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

27 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Does the Mossie have any secondary radios, like the good old Channel A~D button boxes the other warbirds have?

Good question, I'm not sure.

I'll try and dig something up on it, but maybe Bozon could chime in here as he is our resident Mosquito expert. I think those radios were just fitted in single seat aircraft where the pilot hasn't got the time to fiddle with radios, so the A-D boxes were there so he could just switch channels instantly.

Edited by bart