How to handle switches (and the idle detent)

brodie4598

I feel like this should be on the internet 100 different places but I cant find it. 

How do I handle binds (like in the A-10C) where there is only a binding for an "ON" position. In the Warthog, the pre-built script knew that if the APU switch was not on, it was off and the sim behaved accordingly. 

I just got the CM3 to replace my Warthog and have spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to get this to work the same way the warthog did. 

1: I created a button press to occur via the configurator tool when each throttle is below the detent. How do I set DCS up so that when that button is not being pressed (i.e., the throttle is off the idle detent) the throttle in the sim also comes off the detent and vice-versa?

2: The 4 red switches on the CM3 have an ON position and that's it. How do I get DCS to recognize that if that switch is not ON to send an OFF command to the sim (For example the APU in the A-10C which has binds for OFF and START)

Edit: I found the answer for question 2 here: 

For a temporary solution to question 1, I just bound the opposite values to the same axis as different button presses. That works, but that now takes up all 4 of the possible axis-button mappings the config tool allows and I was using that to map my flaps to the flaps axis. I thought by using the "inverted" option on the axis-mapped buttons would work but that doesnt seem to do anything. 

Edited by brodie4598

Have a look at my thread here, it might be useful to you regarding detents

Virpil CM3 throttle – setting up detents and comparison with CM2 - VIRPIL Controls - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

25 minutes ago, imacken said:

Have a look at my thread here, it might be useful to you regarding detents

Virpil CM3 throttle – setting up detents and comparison with CM2 - VIRPIL Controls - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

That's a really good write-up, thanks for that. It seems you ran into the same trouble. 

In reading the documentation for the configuration tool, it sounds like the "Inverted" option for the button should work for this but it has no effect. Maybe that is a bug?

I have 0-2% set up on both throttle axis to represent a button press of 72,73. Then on the buttons tab I set those to map to 61 and 62 logical buttons

I tried to set up two more logical buttons that inverted physical buttons 72,73 but it didnt actually do anything. They still "pressed" below 2% and not above. 

According to the guide for the tool I think what I am doing should work:

“Mode Inverted” - the joystick logical button will be turned on when the physical button is turned off;

When you say I had the same trouble, what do you mean? I wasn’t aware that I had any trouble!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, but that is just a consequence of the A-10C bindings which work differently to all other modules. 
However, I did resolve that by extracting two lines from the WH lua file and put them into the default.lua file as shown in another thread. Now, I use just the 0% button for all modules idle/off. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, imacken said:

Yes, but that is just a consequence of the A-10C bindings which work differently to all other modules. 
However, I did resolve that by extracting two lines from the WH lua file and put them into the default.lua file as shown in another thread. Now, I use just the 0% button for all modules idle/off. 

Is the resolution of extracting two lines from the WH lua file in your "setting up detents" post?  I looked and didn't see it--of course I may have missed it.  Would like a chance to give that a try.

No, it's here. 17th post, I think.

I must edit my other thread to reflect this.

Edited by imacken