"Set Afterburner/Idle cutoff positions"

Headwarp

With many people using TM Warthog throttles or the new Virpil release.. it'd be nice to simplify the process (for the end user at least) for configuring an axis for a physical detent.    Personally, I'm against using curves on my throttle axis.   Linear travel allows one to develop a feel for power increases and decreases, where a curved axis will vary more in how much a millimeter or two of throttle movement affects the engine RPM depending on where the stick lies.. generally becoming more sensitive as you move away from the center. 

Currently the only way to use detents in DCS is to adjust the curves of your throttle axes.    I'm not going to specifically name them, but at least one other title has a very simple solution to this where you can press a button on the screen and it will mark the position of your throttle as the point at which your afterburners engage, and there's another button to set an idle stop position. 

This allows the user to keep a linear axis from 0-100%  between the two points on the axis, as well as allowing users to utilize their throttle detents with two simple clicks of a button rather than back and forth into the axis tune menus. 

It may not sound like a big deal.. but the fact that this feature doesn't exist in DCS World generally means simply not using the physical detents provided with our throttles for me.   I can't imagine the feature being difficult to an experienced coder, and I think it would go a long way with your biggest fans who throw down hundreds of dollars on gear to enjoy your program.  

Please.. let's not turn this thread into a discussion about another sim.   I'd prefer to leave titles out of it, and my only reason for bringing it up was because it provides an example of a feature I'd really love to see in DCSW.  

If anybody ED reads this.. I appreciate your time and hope this resonates as a good idea with you guys. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I use the new Virpil CM3 and the virpil software. My throttle doesn't register the cut off area. i have a virtual button that actuates from 1-2% range that is tied to move the throttle from cut off to idle. when i program that axis travel it only registers from the idle stop to full burner as the 0-100% travel. for all U.S. aircraft this lines up perfect with the burner detents. the only axis curve i tweek is on the Russian planes but after about 2 or 3 mins on the first set up they too are gtg.  But i do understand what you are saying. That is what make the Virpil worth it to me. i can do all of that in the Virpil Software and the game recognizes it.

It's a very good "nice to have feature" for sure. Actually one of the reasons I decided not to throw $$$ towards TM/Virpil throttle units is lack of it's full support in DCS - meaning exactly AB/Idle positions. 

I would definitely consider upgrading that hardware if DCS natively supported it.

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Even if I have a CM3 throttle running with idle cutoffs and afterburner detent perfectly tuned for my go-to planes, it would still be very nice if DCS offered this capability, just like BMS does. It sure isn't rocket science, but it would go a long way for people who don't want to spend hours messing about with firmware configs, deadzones etc. In the end, if you have better or same capability with a lot less friction in usability, your product will be superior for it. 

• Like 1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Guys, have a look at my thread here on this topic. you might find some stuff useful

Virpil CM3 throttle – setting up detents and comparison with CM2 - VIRPIL Controls - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

Edited by imacken
  • Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 hours ago, imacken said:

Guys, have a look at my thread here on this topic. you might find some stuff useful

Virpil CM3 throttle – setting up detents and comparison with CM2 - VIRPIL Controls - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

While appreciated, the whole point of asking for a feature like this built into the DCS Engine, which has been done before by at least one other engine  and could probably be done easily again,  is to reduce the amount of time we spend configuring devices.    I'm fully aware of that post and it's good info.. but as I said on the virpil forums there are software solutions that would reduce the tedium involved in the current options we have for doing things.   The fact that you felt an urge to write a guide for people just kind of makes my point, that this simple feature would make users lives easier.  

My wishlist includes a solution that doesn't require a written or video guide or hours of tinkering to get into the game and using your controls.   Hopefully Virpil provides a solution within their software sooner than ED ever gets to this.. but I think a feature like this in DCS World would make all of us that have the option of using detents happy campers.     At least on the setup of input configuration.  

I mean.. like many of you I have the A-10C, Harrier, Hornet, F-16C, F-14, JF-17, Viggen all of the available helos in DCS world.  FC3.   It can be a pretty daunting task sitting down to a fresh installation of DCS W, even with control exports on hand. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.