New Guy with some hardware questions

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Hiob:

.... but I read that the V3-Variant (mine is V2) has adressed this issue, together with some other minor improvements.

I think this item, grey/black, can help.

https://mfg-sim.com/en/rudder-acessories/5-wap-width-adjustment-grey.html😊

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, for me the foot-width is perfect. I‘m 1,9m.

That was just the only „issue“ with the crosswinds I ever heard of....

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 4:18 PM, greyeagle787 said:

LoL! I get that, just wondering if Jeatseat/Jetpad are essentially the same unit. JetSeat seems very hard to find/purchase. Not so with JetPad. If they’re the same, I’ll probably go with that.

But I’ve also been researching the full motion sim chairs. Will you go that far? Not sure my space can accomodate one.

HI.

Wow! A motion chair! To me it seems waaayyyy too much for a hobby, specially with a wife wondering around! Can't tell for that chair, the Jet Seat looks great, go for it, but the chair... My opinion, anyway.

Saludos.

Saca111

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All, a new hardware question for you. Getting a new PC with 32G of RAM. Upgradable to 64 but would that be overkill for DCS? 32 recommended and at least for starters I probably won’t be doing much multiplayer. Whaddya Think?  Just looking ahead........

32 GB should be fine. I doubt that there is significant additional benefit from >32 at the moment.

Full disclosure: I have 64 GB but I didn't experience any noticable improvements in DCS. I didn't do any explicit tests on the difference to 32 GB though, since I never had any issues with 32.

I did the upgrade for other reasons.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 7:15 PM, greyeagle787 said:

Hey All, a new hardware question for you. Getting a new PC with 32G of RAM. Upgradable to 64 but would that be overkill for DCS? 32 recommended and at least for starters I probably won’t be doing much multiplayer. Whaddya Think?  Just looking ahead........

Hey Greyeagle,

I just built a new pc.  I went with 2 1TB SSD's.  Windows on c drive...games on D.  I also went with 64gb RAM...just to try to future proof it a bit. 

System:  Ryzen 5900X, Asus ROG Dark Hero MB, EVGA 3080 FTW, 64mb DDR4 3600hz

Controllers: Winwing Super Libra, Taurus, TO and Combat Panels, MFG Crosswind Pedals

Played: Falcon Allied Force, Falcon 4.0, Aces High, all the MS Combat Flight Simulators, Fleet Defender, F15 Strike Eagle (Commodore 64)🤣

On 4/15/2021 at 12:15 AM, greyeagle787 said:

32Gb is good for DCS but I certainly wouldn't go any lower. DCS can easily use ~20Gb of RAM on its own. 64Gb would be good for future-proofing but not necessary at the moment. I think a better choice right now would be to go for 32Gb and put the remaining budget in to the CPU and GPU. Another essential for DCS is to run the game from an SSD or NVME drive - running from a traditional disk is a painful experience, espeically if you want a wider pre-loaded graphics radius.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

If you have the funds, I would recommend the following:

Computer Alienware R-11  loaded..64gb, 2tbM2, 2tb nvme, RTX 3090,  I9 10900kf, will come with 1kw power supply and other top items, bluetooth-wi-fi.

As mentioned, All Virpil hardware,  HP Reverb G2 VR headset, motion platform and since you intend VR any monitor will do but I would get a premium

monitor, "Pixio".         DOF Reality Motion simulators  about 3k$ with shipping.  It would be easy to spend over 10k for all of the equipment.

I purchased less expensive gear and enjoyed it.....but replaced most with more premium equipment.

I have the Thrustmaster warthog and only used it to upgrade the firmware so it hopefully not brick.  Never used it .  I have all the mentioned gear with

an array of others.  I might also mention that DCS will cost about 1k$ if purchasing most of the titles, I do not have all but my total is around 1200.00.

There is not any overkill...just what you are willing to spend.  Super top equipment can far exceed what I have listed.  

You did not mention your budget for this.

laz

Appreciate all the info! I’m going fairly high end with pretty much what lazduc recommended. Holding off on the motion sim for now. Main differences in pc are 32G RAM but upgradable, got the 3080 card and 1 1T SSD and another 1T harddrive. This unit will be pretty much dedicated to DCS and gaming so I figure I’m good to go for now. Everything is upgradable! Also have the Warthog and the G2. 
Just waiting on Dell to finish and ship!

Thanks again!

Greyeagle787,

Just a couple of additional hints.  Ordering will take a significant amount of time from some vendors.  The Alienware G-11 can be upgraded with ssd's instead of 

hdd's.  Also these machines run hot so you might, as I have done, add more cooling.  Look up on ytube, cooling Alienware g-11.  My delivery took about 3 weeks.

Vipril components usually take about 2-3 weeks if in stock...longer if back ordered, however Virpil are extremely well engineered.  ( With a motion sim base and

the VR, be sure you wont get motion sickness.)  With the warthog and the G-2 you should be in good shape.  You will probably want to upgrade to Virpil

in the future.  The learning curve on most programs in DCS being study sims, is quite challenging and will take up a lot of time.  But being a pilot and already

quite knowledgeable you should do very well.  You did not indicate what type aircraft you flew.  Military, commercial or private, fixed wing or rotary?

You will have a ball and of course there are other sims with different subject matter.

laz  

Already started studying! Gonna start in WWII with the 51 and the Spit, then graduate to maybe F-86, then modernize with the A-10 and F-18. Flew C-141’s and C-9’s with USAF, then mostly all Boeing with Airlines. Finished on B-777. Retired now and just discovered DCS. I can’t wait to get back to work!!

After years of large multi-engine, always wanted to get back in single-seat and yank & bank. Been waiting for technology to catch up with the dream and I think it’s here!

• Like 2

Hello Greyeagle! This is my first post to the DCS forums so greetings to all. I am just getting started with DCS myself (I was holding out for World 2.7 and the clouds!-) though I have many years of experience in the Il-2 series going way back and the older MS flight sims as well. Sounds like your on the right track and everyone's recommendations here are spot on. I feel compelled to throw in my 2 cents worth in regards to the Thrustmaster Warthog though.

I have been using the Warthog HOTAS setup with MFG Crosswinds pedals (the pedals are awesome by the way and though I'm small I like the width and it was a major part of my decision to purchase them). I really like the throttle and stick a bunch, and they are more than adequate for WW2 aircraft with plenty of switches to cover my needs allowing me to forego using the keyboard or mouse, but the Warthog base has been problematic from the start. I have had to open it up on way too many occasions to mod it for loose stanchions, funky knocks and bumps that make me nervous about it's build quality, and most annoyingly the large rubber gasket in the housing has repeatedly shifted out of place, even after thorough cleanings and gluing it back in place. It is now deteriorating, cracking and splitting after only 6 months of daily use, so I am hunting for replacement o-rings at local hardware stores. I just received news this morning that my new Virpil T-CM50 base is shipping today after a 4 week backorder wait and I am pretty excited about that, so I am in agreement with those who have posted here about replacing the base with a Virpil. 

As for VR I am one of those who cannot use it in it's current development. I get nauseated and a headache within minutes. This is a well documented problem with VR, though there is good research being done to alleviate it. Personally I am very happy with my Track IR setup and a large screen with it's high resolutions and framerates, and the ability to see my switches when I need to look, though muscle memory has eliminated the need to look at the switches much anymore. I wear corrective lenses and my left eye is worse than the right, so this could be part of the problem in VR. There are quality prescription inserts designed specifically for VR headsets, but none of those providers actually produce lenses within my prescription parameters. That is probably not an issue for you as from your career history I would guess your eyesight is better than mine!  I must point out that I have never been Airsick nor seasick in my travels and did get my PPL some years back with no issues, though I can't really afford to fly anymore, so I am not sure why VR effects me so much! I only want to point out that VR may not work for everyone and there are good alternatives for all around situational awareness like Track IR if you should run into a problem with VR.  

Have fun!

Props,

Many thanks for your input. I already have the warthog stick & throttles so we’ll have to see how they play out. Worst case I’ll have to spring for a Virpil setup down the road. 
I’ve been messing a bit with VR with my son’s Oculus for a bit and no real issues yet. I did get prescription inserts for my G2 but since I’m still waiting for my PC, haven’t used them yet. Hoping for no issues!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...