New Guy with some hardware questions

After 40 years as an active pilot and some dabbling in flight Sims like Falcon 4.0, I'm ready to jump into DCS with both feet! I think the advent of VR has been a game changer to the realism and enjoyability of Sims and DCS seems to be the gold standard. Can't believe it took me this long to find it!

Anyway, I am researching hardware and have 3 questions. I'll be purchasing as high end of a PC that I can within $$ reason. Also looking at the HP Reverb G2 VR headset; Thrustmaster WartHog stick and throttles with rudder pedals.

I have watched a great video on the PointCTRL finger mice, are they as good as they look and do you recommend?

Also considering ViacomPro and VoiceAttack. If I have PointCTRL would I need voice command? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And last, If I get ViaComPro, is there a built in mic on the G2 or would I need a separate headset?

Thanks for any input you may have and I look forward to getting started!

49 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

After 40 years as an active pilot and some dabbling in flight Sims like Falcon 4.0, I'm ready to jump into DCS with both feet! I think the advent of VR has been a game changer to the realism and enjoyability of Sims and DCS seems to be the gold standard. Can't believe it took me this long to find it!

Anyway, I am researching hardware and have 3 questions. I'll be purchasing as high end of a PC that I can within $$ reason. Also looking at the HP Reverb G2 VR headset; Thrustmaster WartHog stick and throttles with rudder pedals.

I have watched a great video on the PointCTRL finger mice, are they as good as they look and do you recommend?

Also considering ViacomPro and VoiceAttack. If I have PointCTRL would I need voice command? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And last, If I get ViaComPro, is there a built in mic on the G2 or would I need a separate headset?

Thanks for any input you may have and I look forward to getting started!

Welcome! All good choices. I can help with a couple of the questions.

I haven't used PointCTRL, so I can't speak to how well it works. I would still recommend Vaicom, as it is more than using voice control to help control instruments. I use Vaicom mostly for radio stuff ("request landing", "carrier, inbound") that PointCTRL wouldn't really help with (afaik). Speaking into the mic instead of using keys for the radio commands is worth it by itself imo. But it also has a separate kneeboard extension that's great, and the other extensions are cool. I got the bundle that has em all and definitely do not regret it.

Also, yes, the G2 has a built-in mic, and it's worked well for me. Only issue with the G2 I've had was the right speaker blew, but I had a good experience with HP support where I had a replacement set of speakers within a week. Due to the speaker issue I had though, I would recommend turning your system volume down to 50% or so though before putting much signal through the G2 when you are first setting it up, and work the volume up from there (if needed).

Edited by Monkwolf
  • Like 1

@greyeagle787 You will Enjoy DCS

- great community -  

- If you are patient you will be rewarded - 

After you purchase your main peripheral's, and you have some money left in your budget you can check this out: 

Here is the Main DCS Forum Thread - the Developer  @=Andre= is a regular participant.

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Not a great fan of Thrustmaster.  There are issues with the stick.

Check out Virpil and VKB for high end HOTAS.

Virpil seems to be the one ahead of the game so far.

I see they are even coming out with helicopter collectives for the Shark and Blackhawk soon.

Edited by 3WA

I second this.

Stay away from Thrustmaster. Virpil (No.1) and VKB (No.2) are far superior. That is in quality and in the ability to customize.

You can use Thrustmaster Grips (if you want one) on both systems. With Virpil out of the box, with VKB there is an easy to install adapter for each grip.

If I hadn't had VKB Gunfighter-base already, I would go with Virpil all the way today.

My current Setup is VKB-Gunfighter III base with 20 cm curved extension and an TM Warthog grip and Virpil throttle (and MFG Crosswind Pedals) and I absolutly love it.

All of the above is quite expensive, though - but worth every penny in my book.

p.s. the reason that I won't recommend Thrustmaster-bases is the way they are build. I suggest you watch some youtube videos on either of them to see what I mean.

The mechanics of Virpil/VKB are superior in every way.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I was just about to say the same. The base of my Warthog stick is not in great condition these days. There's nothing wrong with the grip itself, but the base is just simplistic and cheap manufacturing. If VKB and Virpil weren't so expensive I'd be right in there...

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I agree with what has been said above about the Thrustmaster base. I found it was ok to start with, but after a few years it suffered from stiction. Not the best for accurate flying. I can't fault their Warthog stick though. It's perfect for most if not all modules. I invested in a Virpil WarBRD base and put the Warthog stick on this and it's a great set-up. The Warthog throttle is great and I have had no issues with it, and it works straight out the tin with the DCS A10-C both versions, as they have complex HOTAS controls and the module is pre-set to work with the Warthog throttle and stick. However if you do use a Virpil base you will need to set up the controls for the A10-C for your stick, but this only takes a few minutes if that.

Virpil is the way to go.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, greyeagle787 said:

Many Thanks! I will research both

+1 for the above comments about Thrustmaster stuff.. I haven't had any issues with my warthog setup, and still use the throttle, grip, and rudder. I really like the Thrustmaster pendular rudder too.. but would've gone with Slaw pedals if they were available. If you have the budget for Virpil or VKB they are definitely better options though. Imo, Thrustmaster is good mid-range gear that gets a worse reputation than it deserves in some circles.

I recently upgraded to VKB (GF3 base + 200mm extension + MCG Pro and F14 grips), and it's quite the improvement over the warthog... except for the method of changing grips. I would give the edge to VKB for the base, just because I'm loving the adjustable dampeners it has on each axis. I haven't tried the Virpil, so I can't directly compare them, I just know it doesn't have equivalent dampeners. You really can't go wrong with either VKB or Virpil gear though.

Also, it's a bit of a niche, and I wouldn't recommend it as a primary stick, but the FSSB is nice. It's what I use the Warthog grip on now as side stick for the Viper. The more I use it the more I'm liking it.

Edited by Monkwolf

Oh, one further note on the VKB-base:

With the 200mm extension and the heavy all-metall TM grip, even with the strongest springs you can install (that is 2x 2x50) the resistance isn't that strong. Just too much leverage and head-weight.

For me (just going 50+20) with soft-center it's perfect, because it gives you very fine control (for A2A-Refuling e.g.) and doesn't hinder rotorcraft-flying.

As I said - the advantage of either, VKB or Virpil, is the ability to adjust to your liking

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

20 hours ago, greyeagle787 said:

To YSIAD_RIP

that seat is definitely on my list! What’s next, Full motion chairs?

Yah.. the Technology in Sim Pits is fantastic these days, especially for car racing.

• There is Something Called a Buttkicker Gamer2 that looks like it adds even more "Kick" to your chair.. lol.
  • I do know that Flight Sim and Race Car sims are MUCH MUCH cheaper than real racing.. 

I hope to get the "courage" to order the JetSeat this week, I just realized how "DEAD" everything felt when taxing, landing and flying in DCS.  There is just no soul. 

You even get haptic feedback when airbrake and flaps are deployed and with Angle of Attack.. lol.. I will just tell my wife it is a Massage Pad for Office Chairs.. lol..

After you decide on a Flight Stick, or during your purchase, consider an extension of 10 cm or more depending on where you will place the flight stick. 

• Having that extra length gives more fine/realistic control in flight, especially for helicopters. Just search around and enjoy the journey.

Cheers.

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I have a bassshaker installed...

I don't use it though - personally I find the effects more annoying than realistic.

Therefore I'm hesitating with the JetSeat - Don't know, if the experience is much better.

Would appriciate experiences from users!

Re: JetSeat and war stories:

• I have just starting reading-skimming the Main ED Forum Threads for the JetSeat and Free(Donation Ware) Software called SimShaker for Aviators.
  • Looks like 5 years of comments and over 200 Pages mostly positive comments and some reviews so far.  Lots of the typical Trouble shooting and and Feature Request questions with constant participation by the developers.
  • So far it seems better than what I have now, which is a 20 year old Herman Aeron Office chair.  

2 Threads: 

1.  Gametrix JetSeats thread (in English)
  2. [Official] SimShaker for Aviators Forums thread at ED forums

On 3/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, YSIAD_RIP said:

Re: JetSeat and war stories:

• So far it seems better than what I have now, which is a 20 year old Herman Aeron Office chair.  

You are aware though, that the Jetseat/Jetpad is only a topping, not an actual chair? 😅 You may be accompanied by your chair 20 more years....

LoL! I get that, just wondering if Jeatseat/Jetpad are essentially the same unit. JetSeat seems very hard to find/purchase. Not so with JetPad. If they’re the same, I’ll probably go with that.

But I’ve also been researching the full motion sim chairs. Will you go that far? Not sure my space can accomodate one.

Wish I would have reached out for input like this when I started back in September.  I spent a lot of cash, time and frustration on a Thrustmaster set up that has now been replaced with a VKB Gunfighter II, Virpil CM3 throttle and (soon), Virpil pedals.  I know there are a lot of people who own and love their warthog setups, but for me there's no comparison.

• Like 1

@greyeagle787

I haven't had any issues too with my warthog system, stick with extensions and throttle. But i prefer my MFG Crosswind rudder pedals agains Thrustmaster/Virpil pedals!

https://mfg-sim.com/en/3-rudder-pedals

cu good fight & hunt

Edited by Jandar

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Jandar said:

@greyeagle787

I haven't had any issues too with my warthog system, stick with extensions and throttle. But i prefer my MFG Crosswind rudder pedals agains Thrustmaster/Virpil pedals!

https://mfg-sim.com/en/3-rudder-pedals

cu good fight & hunt

I can't compare, because I never had any pedals except for my MFG Crosswinds. Those are recommendable, though. Very good build quality and adjustability.

The foot-width is a little on the large side, but I read that the V3-Variant (mine is V2) has adressed this issue, together with some other minor improvements.

Edited by Hiob