AWACS and F18

Justin1Ntime

I cant find a good video to show me how to communicate with my AWACS on the f18. I have it set up on my mission. I have easy communications on with a hot key of \. I have the channel set to 111.110. I kick off a new mission. I hit the rounded button on the left to turn on the com 1 radio. I then enter 111.110 and hit the enter.  I push the \ and I don't see a way to communicate with the AWACS. I can communicate to my wing man and all the other stuff but I dont see AWACS. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Justion

Ok I have set my com to to channel 1 AWACS is freq 265. I created a channel program of 265 on com 1. I can hear overload saying he is passing way points. Its when I bring up the Comm 1 communications it does not have the AWACS in there. I see everything else, ATC, wingman etc. I can communicate with my carrier but I don't have any option to talk to the AWACS. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have watched a ton of videos but there isnt an option for AWACS for me. I have even turned easy communications on and off and nothing. Any thoughts on how to get the AWACS to be listed in my COM 1 menu selection?

2 hours ago, Justin1Ntime said:

Ok I have set my com to to channel 1 AWACS is freq 265. I created a channel program of 265 on com 1. I can hear overload saying he is passing way points. Its when I bring up the Comm 1 communications it does not have the AWACS in there. I see everything else, ATC, wingman etc. I can communicate with my carrier but I don't have any option to talk to the AWACS. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have watched a ton of videos but there isnt an option for AWACS for me. I have even turned easy communications on and off and nothing. Any thoughts on how to get the AWACS to be listed in my COM 1 menu selection?

can  you post  a trk  file so  can  see  what  your  missing

6 hours ago, SmilingBandit said:

Dumb question, but do you have your AWACS set to perform the AWACS task in the mission you made?

Thanks so much guys, not a dumb question at all. I didnt know you had to do that. I just put him on the map and ordered him to orbit a few way points. I just clicked on my AWACS and added a enroute task of AWACS but cant test it as I have to go to work. is that all I have to do? A few questions how far out can he be from the action. I have him about 10 - 20 miles off shore at 20k feet. The action is set overland at 6k feet. What are the limits of the AWACS so I dont put him too far out and too high  and miss seeing anything?

Edited by Justin1Ntime

The AWACS task should exist by default.

What doesn't exist by default is an orbit task. Without this, the AWACS will look for a place to land immediately or follow whatever waypoints you give it and then land. It looks like you've added this in your post though.

As far as positioning you'd want AWACS to be high so the radar can see into the distance. I usually place AWACS at 30000 ft orbiting at 400+ knots for the E3. 280 knots for the E-2.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I know its me that has to be doing something wrong.  I added AWACS task and when I take off still no option to contact AWACS.  I just dont know what else to do here. I got the AWACS on the map. I have assigned a feq of 265. I have him orbiting a way point. I have a bullseye. My way points say a enroute of task of AWACS. I take off I have the option to contact everybody but the AWACS. I tried using manual and punching in 265 like I do when I contact the carrier ( different feq obviously) and still no option. Do i need to turn on some kind of transmit switch? Is it a bug? 

Not sure if this is still a bug or not, but before, you had to contact the Tankers and Awacs on radio two. They may have fixed this, though.

In the ME, when you set the task to AWACS, do you set the freq in the Options?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Ok I just got it to work. I noticed that even though I set everything up to 30000 ft, task AWACS, 400 knots, Freq 265 nothing worked. I found him still at 6k feet which did not match the ALT I gave him and was like WTF are you doing this low. Deleted the AWACS and re-added him to the mission and now its working fine. God I wish I had done that last night. All though this was a weird issue MAC, Excorcet, Bandit, and Pete thanks a ton for the ideas and help. I learned alot trying to figure out this issue.  🙂

Edited by Justin1Ntime

4 hours ago, Justin1Ntime said:

Ok I just got it to work. I noticed that even though I set everything up to 30000 ft, task AWACS, 400 knots, Freq 265 nothing worked. I found him still at 6k feet which did not match the ALT I gave him and was like WTF are you doing this low. Deleted the AWACS and re-added him to the mission and now its working fine. God I wish I had done that last night. All though this was a weird issue MAC, Excorcet, Bandit, and Pete thanks a ton for the ideas and help. I learned alot trying to figure out this issue.  🙂

no  worries main thing  you got it  too work, least this  way  you know  how  to set  things  now  in  ME