Igla / Igla-S behavior

mousepilot

Hi everyone,

Let me start with a quick disclaimer saying that I'm not an expert an weapons systems so I might not know how to distinguish normal behavior from non-normal behavior.

That said the Igla / Igla-S seems to be having issues "hitting" the target. In my tests I was able to orbit above 3 Iglas while on afterburners and without flaring + almost stalling the aircraft (really slow speed) and still the Igla did not "hit".

I've repeated the experiment multiple times with similar results.

When compared to another experiment that uses a Stinger instead the result is dramatically different. In the Stinger experiment, I'm not able to orbit, even when trying to use idle power and flares (this is what I expected from this experiment).

I've attached .trk from some runs of both experiments.

I'd expect the Igla to perform better, based on reports that it was a comparable system to the Stinger:

According to the manufacturer, South African tests have shown the Igla's superiority over the contemporary (1982 service entry) but smaller and lighter American FIM-92A Stinger missile. According to Kolomna OKB, the Igla-1 has a Pk (probability of kill) of 0.30 to 0.48 against unprotected targets which is reduced to 0.24 in the presence of decoy flares and jamming. In another report, the manufacturer claimed a Pk of 0.59 against an approaching and 0.44 against receding F-4 Phantom II fighter not employing infrared countermeasures or evasive maneuvers.

The Igla-S is an improved system over the Igla:

The newest variant, which is a substantially improved variant with longer range, more sensitive seeker, improved resistance to latest countermeasures, and a heavier warhead. Manufacturer reports hit probability of 0.8–0.9. State tests were completed in December 2001 and the system entered service in 2002. Series produced by the Degtyarev plant since 1 December 2004

Now, I know that Wikipedia is not a "military source". But the experiments above combined with the "reports" from Igla users documented in Wikipedia, lead me to suspect there may be an issue with DCS representation of the Igla system.

Again, I will re-iterate that I'm not an expert, so my apologies if I'm wasting everyone's time on something that I obviously got wrong.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards.

no_shoot_down_iglaS.trk no_shoot_down_iglaS_2.trk no_shoot_down_iglaS_3.trk shoot_down_stinger.trk shoot_down_stinger_with_flares.trk shoot_down_stinger_with_flares_2.trk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, Poulopot said:

Nice try but it is not a US weapon. You know the russians lag 30 years behind us and don't publish their military documents so there is no solution to your problem.

If only "those" Soviets could build a "decent" missile, oh wait...

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

On 4/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, Poulopot said:

Nice try but it is not a US weapon. You know the russians lag 30 years behind us and don't publish their military documents so there is no solution to your problem.

There's something obviously wrong with the igla representation, even back in the 60-70's it was considered next to impossible to escape the good old AA-2 if it was shot in the heart of envelope before any defensive measures begun, in that situation maneuver alone was not enough, countermeasures were needed.

There's no reason for this modern version of the Igla to behave as described - it has a solid all-aspect seeker and it's attacking a non-maneuvering target without countermeasures.

No one's going to produce weapons that can't hit anything - even previous iterations of MANPADS which has 0.4-0.5Pk were worth it because at least you could salvo and they might hit something - why would a newer, better version do anything less?

@BIGNEWY could you please check up on this?  SHORAD weapons should be reasonably functional in the absence of countermeasures.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 1 month later...

I agree 100% with the author of the post, I play mainly MP and missing non manouvering,not flaring aircrafts  is so infuriating. While if you use a stinger and respect some parameters you always going to hit

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this topic so it gets acknowledged by ED. With all the new helos getting in DCS manpads are more important than ever.

Igla-s is litterally worse than nothing right now. please fix it. you can't expect to release apache and kiowa with no red manpad can you ?

• Like 1

Rafale is the best fighter in the world fight me

• ED Team

this is already reported and I have asked the team to take a look as soon as possible. 

that is all I can do. 

Please remember the forum rules when posting replies, thread cleaned.

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2