Hat Switches way too sensitive!

Fakum

I’ve had my new Virpil Constellation Alpha grip and CM3 throttle for about 3 months now. It is great to have all of these button features, but I am still finding them to be way too sensitive, and the results are frustrating. Example, I use the 7,8,9,10 & 11 Hat Switch buttons a lot on the Grip for the KA-50 Black Shark. Pushing to the LEFT for “Turn to Target” RIGHT for “Moving Target” UP for “Lock Target” PUSHED IN for “Flight Director”. If im trying to lock a target, and I push UP to lock, not only does it perform that function, but if there is any slight pressure at all towards the RIGHT, it will cycle off the “Moving Target” that I had previously set to on,,, and if there is also any kind of inward pressure, it will also engage the “Flight Director”. This causes all kinds of frustrating problems, to the point where I simply have to remap so those button presses are not being used at all, I have to spread them about to different buttons to avoid this. Last night I went into Virpil software and watched the buttons that were being activated and with controlled presses, I could watch that even the slightest nudge to the left or the right, once the button was slowly and softly moved UP, if I rolled my thumb ever so slightly left or right, that action would also be executed. I have similar problems with the Throttle buttons as well, but I don’t use them as much at the moment. I like the HOTAS a lot, but this is frustrating.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hmm, I certainly don't have that level of sensitivity, but I will say that it is best to avoid binding the 'press/push' on hat switches if you can.   It is just too easy when trying to do 'up', to do a 'press' as well.  I get round this by literally pressing from the bottom or the top of the switch to avoid the additional 'press' movement.  If you can't do that, why not bind your 'press' bind for 'Flight director' to 'down' instead?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I certainly get your point and have changed my bindings so I dont use that "press" feature for the A Flight Director (what a shame to loose that feature), but that still leaves me with the up position still tripping the left or right function as well. I have tried to train myself to gingerly use the hat switch by pressing up rom the bottom(as you suggested) and by resting my thumb on the center of the switch and rocking forward, but both yield the same results.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Something doesn't seem right there.  That doesn't happen to me with any of the hats on my VPC throttle or stick.  Is it just that one hat?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

That is the hat that is used most frequent, and is certainly the most noticeable! One on the Throttle is similar, but not quite as bad,, the others on the grip are pretty descent, maybe I need to do a ticket,, I cringe on the thought though

40 minutes ago, Fakum said:

That is the hat that is used most frequent, and is certainly the most noticeable! One on the Throttle is similar, but not quite as bad,, the others on the grip are pretty descent, maybe I need to do a ticket,, I cringe on the thought though

Can't say I blame ya there.

Hats on my CM3 throttle all seem to be fine so far.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for the feedback guys