Difficulty - coming in time of the Hornet

Eisprinzessin

Salut!

Thinking about to buy the Hornet or the Viper. Not sure atm. 

But one question:

How difficult is the hornet to get fimilar with if i come from the Harrier? I mean: Vid looks pretty much similar to check out everything in the cockpit. all a bit newer and updated in the hornet, but do i have an easier step in, if i am so lala familar with the Harrier?

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Both require quite a bit of study and experimentation. There are a lot of systems to get used to - but if you are used to the Harrier, you should be fine. Some of the systems are simpler to use. They're both very good products. For me, I'd go with the Hornet as it gives you the ability to do carrier ops.

• Like 2

Jap, this carrier thing triggers me. And what i saw from the Reapers, the Viper is kinda more different to the Harrier than the Hornet.

What is simpler to use? The systems in the Harrier or the Hornet?

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Both are VERY similar, but some stuff is just more logical and easy to use in the Hornet - there's less fiddling with UFC options and more happening on the DDIs, the DDI pages are usually somewhat more structured and easy to use in the Hornet as well.

That said: the Harrier isn't complicated to begin with. It's just more refined in the Hornet, IMHO.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Hi.

Go for the Hornet, no doubt. Personally, I prefer the Viper, but for you, coming from the Harrier, the Hornet will be some kind of "continuation" of it, if I make myself clear. The Viper is another philosophy, while the Hornet and the Harrier somehow share part of the same philosophy.

Saludos.

Saca111

I would go with the F18, I tried the F16 with one of the free to play deals from ED and I liked it but I prefer the F18's flight model.

I have been learning it bit by bit, it takes time, and you don't want to get ahead of yourself or you end up in a mess, one thing is to learn the specific traits of the aircraft, and the F18 has many.

I use the Grim Reapers videos to go over each section, they are short and to the point. If you need more details, then I check Redkits or Wags stuff.

To make learning fun, I use Hoggits training server so you are flying with others and world seems alive, also some good targets there and you can spawn up ranges to practice on, practice A2A refuelling and carrier stuff without getting shot down all the time!

Next step I did was flying in the Capture the Base servers in Syria.  Really fun server.  Some evening I do CAP for A10's, some CAP for KA50's, sometime go off looking for Mig 25's, sometimes droppping GBU38 from 40k ft onto a BUK Sam, other evening doing rockets CAS, or Mavericks, or LGB's or some great cluster bomb drops over airfields....never ending fun and always learning.  I stick to one of these mission types until it's familiar with it then move on.

Some great missions taking off from Incirlik AFB, go a refuel from a C130, drop some GBU38 on a SAM, CAP for some ground pounders, come back and take out some soft targets, back to the tanker, a bit more CAP then back to base....amazing! 

Good luck!

• Like 2

Rememberthat Hornet is going out of early access in few weeks 😉 and Viper is very early access. 

So Hornet has more options is more complete, and if you start with Viper you'll have to relearn few things as they will change durig EA.

You will be fine w/ just the Stennis carrier. Fly and get used to it and then upgrade to the Supercarrier. An additional recommendation for the carrier. Just do straight-in approaches until you are really good at them and flying at onspeed AOA is natural. Then start doing the actual pattern traps. They are an entire next level of skill. When you are ready for pattern landings download Banklers Case 1 training mission.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your advises. I go for the Hornet...maybe i wait the Easter sale to get a little discount and then catch both - Hornet and Supercarrier. Looks amazing and my homeoffice time will be well used 🙂

Specs:

@Eisprinzessin - not sure if it will come about again but at one time i believe there was a discount when getting both F18 and SC at same time. either way, waiting for a sale is a sound decision. good luck and clear skies 😉

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Those are my two favorite planes except for the Warthog can’t do anything but die if the Gun is Shot at You

I digress

Both modules are good but the Hornet will be out of early access faster than the Viper

Also you can’t beat trying to land on a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

2 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

Those are my two favorite planes except for the Warthog can’t do anything but die if the Gun is Shot at You

I digress

Both modules are good but the Hornet will be out of early access faster than the Viper

Also you can’t beat trying to land on a boat

Just completed my third campaign for the Hornet, Serpents Head 2. The last mission was a long one, and to be successful had to get back to the Stennis and trap at night. Talk about pucker factor lol. I made it though, it was great. I am so loving carrier ops in the Hornet.

I will be picking up the Viper at some point, having too much fun with the Hornet now and like you say the Viper is still much earlier in the early access part.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sure the Viper will be in my hangar at some time but since I got the Hornet man I can't get enough from Carrier Ops. Set up a busy day on the ship, tune the weather a bit challenging and that's it! My wife can't get me out of my pilots seat for months. Sure I blame Corona for that...:pilotfly:

• Like 3

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

On 3/16/2021 at 5:34 AM, Dr_Watson said:

You can use the F18 on the Stennis, which works fine for basics of takeoff and landing.  The Supercarrier adds a lot more though and is recommended, but try the Stennis first before parting with you money.

I'm only going to disagree that the Stennis should be tried first.  The SC is worth the money entirely and should be better (in 2 weeks 😜) especially if you still get a bundle discount.  I have no idea what the current terms are because I bought both modules (F/A-18 and Super Carrier) on pre-order.

On 3/16/2021 at 4:20 AM, Eisprinzessin said:

Jap, this carrier thing triggers me. And what i saw from the Reapers, the Viper is kinda more different to the Harrier than the Hornet.

What is simpler to use? The systems in the Harrier or the Hornet?

Both birds are great.  Neither is simpler than the other.  The buttonology is different.  The flight model is different, primarily at the edge of the flight envelope and top end.  Coming from the Harrier, you will have an easier time with the Hornet, but not much.   Both modules will have similar weapons capabilities when done.  The Hornet is more complete because it was released earlier.  Both have sufficient range for DCS, often without external fuel tanks.  The current bug list is different.  The main question you need to ask yourself, and answer honestly, is if you want to focus on carrier ops or want to switch to land.  Personally I find both modules to be very enjoyable, and really really like the CBU-97s on the Viper, but want to do carrier ops more. 

One other factor is your flight stick.  If you have a replica stick for Hornet/Harrier (they are similar) and nothing for the Viper (Warthog and Viper sticks are all but identical), you'll find it easier to map the stick controls to the matching module.  If this isn't important to you, disregard.

18 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

As i only play over steam, there is no discount when i put both in the basket...

P.S.  Do yourself a favor and move off steam for DCS (I think that it is still possible).  It's convenient, but the benefits don't outweigh the cons in this case.  I started out using steam and have never regretted converting over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WOPR said:

P.S.  Do yourself a favor and move off steam for DCS (I think that it is still possible).  It's convenient, but the benefits don't outweigh the cons in this case.  I started out using steam and have never regretted converting over.

Very true, so did I

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

There’s no such thing as being easier poor word choice

If you flew the Harrier you kind of understand the systems and how the navy labels things in their cockpit

The viper has quirks in DCS but to me it feels more simpler than a Hornet. CCRP is not as flexible like the Hornet but doing CCRP on the F-16 with CBU-97 is awesome. The viper does flip in DCS rather easily mostly if you taxi too fast or you forget to take out the rudder input and requires your constant attention when taxiing, takeoff, and landing

I like both

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

For the sticks: I have both: Warthog and Hornet

For leaving steam: uhm, yes...is there somewhere an explenation what i have to do?

And most important:

Can i transfer my stick settings and how is the VR performance?

And what are the cons of the steam version?

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:

57 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

For leaving steam: uhm, yes...is there somewhere an explenation what i have to do?

57 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

And what are the cons of the steam version?

You don't get Miles - bonus points for buing modules - each point gives $0.01 deduction on price of next purchase. Patches are usually later then on standalone, Steam version sometimes have problems with running the bgame, that standalone doesn't have. You pay all the money to the Devs, Steam takes ~30% of the price.

So, now i try and the first problem is, that i dont find my serial numbers from my modules and maps in steam to link them in my ED account.

There is no option "CD Key"

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.

Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library as SkateZilla mentioned

Specs: