6800xt and Reverb G2

franx

As I was getting ready to pull the trigger and buy the Reverb G2, I found a bunch of complaints from AMD users saying that the G2 has compatibility issues with the 6800xt gpu.  Has that been addressed?  Is that now fixed?

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Running a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT with Reverb G2 and have zero problems, runs great.

Am using Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.3 Optional for Win 10 64-bit. Think the problems were with earlier drivers, initially used Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 Recommended (WHQL) which I had problems with. Will only get better with driver updates.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6800-series/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Vampire.  That settles it. 😉

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

If your Ryzen is on an X570 board you may have USB issues with the G2. Mine wouldn't work with any of my boards USB 3 ports and it's a fairly common complaint. I sorted mine with an external, unpowered USB 3 hub, others have installed USB cards to get round it. Others have had no issue at all. Seems to be a bit of a lottery.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

4 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

If your Ryzen is on an X570 board you may have USB issues with the G2. Mine wouldn't work with any of my boards USB 3 ports and it's a fairly common complaint. I sorted mine with an external, unpowered USB 3 hub, others have installed USB cards to get round it. Others have had no issue at all. Seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Same issue. Headset USB works only on a PCI card USB port, and strangely it's very stable there and not on any on-board ports. Though I've read that the issue has been identified and board manufacturers should have BIOS updates in a month or so. Not sure I remember my source for that. PCGamer maybe.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Same issue. Headset USB works only on a PCI card USB port, and strangely it's very stable there and not on any on-board ports. Though I've read that the issue has been identified and board manufacturers should have BIOS updates in a month or so. Not sure I remember my source for that. PCGamer maybe.

That would be nice, although mine has also been rock solid via an external USB hub, and the G2 experience on my rig is just amazing.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Had trouble getting my G2 to work on X570 board with any USB slot - but it just turned out to be a conflict with iCue. Deleted the Lenovo folders in Program Files\Corsair\Corsair iCue Software\Plugins folder and it works fine. Get a problem now and then but just re-plug the USB and it's fine. As far as working with the 6800XT there is no problem.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, VampireNZ said:

Had trouble getting my G2 to work on X570 board with any USB slot - but it just turned out to be a conflict with iCue. Deleted the Lenovo folders in Program Files\Corsair\Corsair iCue Software\Plugins folder and it works fine. Get a problem now and then but just re-plug the USB and it's fine. As far as working with the 6800XT there is no problem.

Yeah iCue software and WMR seem to conflict from time to time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It depends on your personal hardware configuration as well. While the release notes for 21.2.3 specifically mention issues with the G2 and people who have a 6900XT, I experience no such issues with 21.2.1. Ironically, 21.2.3 cripples my computer and renders it completely unusable: I can't even browse the web... And yes, that's after using DDU and even AMD's own driver uninstall utility.

19 hours ago, VampireNZ said:

Deleted the Lenovo folders in Program Files\Corsair\Corsair iCue Software\Plugins folder and it works fine.

Yes I had to do that as well.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

4 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes I had to do that as well.

Strange - I will have to give that a try as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Had lots of trouble at first as well.  Had to update to the latest bios (USB issues), set steam vr to force DX11, and set PCIE3x in the bios and all is good now.

As a side note, the AMD drivers do not work as well with motion smoothing as nividia.  I turned it off as there were way to many artifacts.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

On 3/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, Strong05 said:

Had lots of trouble at first as well.  Had to update to the latest bios (USB issues), set steam vr to force DX11, and set PCIE3x in the bios and all is good now.

As a side note, the AMD drivers do not work as well with motion smoothing as nividia.  I turned it off as there were way to many artifacts.

Downgrading to PCIE 3.0 Setting should stop being necessary once your particular mainboard gets the next BIOS update that includes the newest AGESA version. 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

2 hours ago, mhe said:

Downgrading to PCIE 3.0 Setting should stop being necessary once your particular mainboard gets the next BIOS update that includes the newest AGESA version. 

Here's hoping the BIOS update works as advertised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, *Rage* said:

Does motion smoothing still not work on AMD GPUs?

It "works" you just get a lot of artifacts (double images, blurred images etc).  To be fair I haven't tried turning it back on since the last bios update, but the update notes didn't mention any improvements in motion smoothing support.

Circling back on this since I started the discussion.  Overall I'm very pleased (so far) with the Reverb G2.  It takes some getting used to, since WMR is a different creature from the Oculus Rift.  I also had the standard aggravations trying to get it to work with my Aurora 10 Ryzen; AMD and the G2 do not yet play nice together.  But it now works fine with a separately powered USB block of plugs.  Weirdly though, it's very picky about which of the USB plugs it chooses to work with.  No idea why.  Downloaded Revive, and I can play all my Oculus titles, and of course SteamVR for Steam titles.  So:  so far, so good.