AI have incorrect high off-boresight IR launch capability

We've been flying our own made MP campaign.  We have mig21s AI (veteran) equipped with R-60s IR Air to Air missiles.

Apart from the usual AI FM & don't bleed energy issues we now also find that they can launch before even acquiring a lock OR they appear to be equipped with HMD's and can fire high off-boresight! LOL.  Here are a few tacview pictures, all from the same timeframe, showing this in practice!  He is shooting at Ghost 3 who has launched an AIM-9P-5t.  As you can see the Mig21 is cheating, he is nowhere near a lock position!  (all pics taken as Mig-21 launches his R60).  These aren't even the worst, I've seen higher off-boresight shots than those.

There is a glaring error in the AI code there somewhere!  I suspect that the code is using the missiles FOV and launching as the target enters its boundary rather than any aircraft pipper locking perameters.  1. Is missile lock from AI plane possible based on vector then 2. Launch depending on AI set parameters 3. Missiles FOV is then used to try to track target 4. Is countermeasure a better target?  5. Does target fly outside of missiles FOV ?

Sorted!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Druid_
  • Like 3

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Hey Druid, long time no see, hope all is well. 

I've reported this. Actually found some interesting results regarding some of the aircraft types take really really bad shots. I did discover that the skill level greatly impacts the behavior. For instance with a Su-25T armed with R-73 the degrees off boresight it shot at was basically:
Rookie/Trained at < 5 degrees, and the AI had to spend several seconds following their target before firing. 

Veteran: 35 degrees

Ace: 40 degrees. 

• Like 2

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks Grimes.  All good mate, hope all well with you in these challenging times we live in.

As we both know, the AI is long overdue an overhaul.  Hope to see some love and attention given to it soon.

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

• 4 weeks later...

unknown.pngunknown.png

same shot, one is HUD view (target not even in view and certainly not lockable) and the second is the external screenshot from the same exact moment of missile release..

I'm surprised this hasn't been reported before now.  Where is the lock logic ? 

I really hope this has been given a high priority in Jira and makes 2.7

• Like 1