Mission 3 refuelling - is it particularly difficult?

I just cannot do the refuelling in Mission 3.  I have tried and tried many times.  I have successfully done other AAR, e.g. Mission 2, but this is impossible for me.

Is it more difficult than most, or is it just me?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This campaign forced me* to actually learn how the AAR, and I'm very pleased that I did so.  Now I would say it's not difficult at all, and I find myself gassing up in nearly every mission where the opportunity presents itself, probably much like a real fighter pilot would.  It went from extremely stressful (and impossible) to now relaxing.

The same is true for all other aspects of flying and fighting the Hornet; some of which are very intimidating at first glance.  Dedicate the time to learning and practicing and they become second nature.

*Actually, forced is not fair.  I purchased the campaign, but then knew that being able to competently fly the F/A-18C was expected of me, and so I dedicated time and effort to learning the required skillset before commencing.  Baltic's approach of making AAR optional (save function, fuel management) is wonderful, and very generous to new players.

• Like 1