VoiceAttack PTT issue

Vekkinho

Ok, I run licensed VoiceAttack and have few profiles set for managing ingame AI comms (/ + function keys).

Most gaming headsets suffer the same problem where mic (in) picks up headphone sound (out) or vibration specific to that word so you end up in a feedback loop.

For instance, when I say "Two" and bring up my AI Wingman menu (/ + F1, IIRC) the AI sound should not respond with same word. If it does like when you call out "Flight - Check in" and wingman reponds with "Two" to report his presence and availability mic is gonna pick it up and VA will generate another spoken command and open Wingman menu unwantedly.

So as a workaround I've set my VoiceAttack to listen to my headset mic only when I press & hold assigned key, in my case it's key 0 (not Num0, but letterpad key 0) as none of the preset Module specific keybinds use it so it does not interfere with any commands.

That key is assigned to VHF PTT button (T6, IIRC) on my TM Cougar HOTAS so I toggle VoiceAttack listening mode only when I press/hold it.

However, I noticed that VA occasionally has trouble recognizing a state of a pressed button even though the button works each time I press it so VA doesn't toggle listening mode.

Anyone having same or similar issues and ideas of a workaround. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do the default keys 1, 2, 3, work? I usually try to go for those when Vaicom is playing poopy with my keybinds, or I have an aircraft I haven't finished the keybinds for.  I sometimes get issues with double keybinds.  By default, I think Vaicom is set to use your PTT keys per aircraft, but I think there is also a way to make VA ignore your DCS binds and just use a specific button press.  So if 1, 2, 3 work but your joystick isn't, that might be the issue.   I've also had issues with a button going bad and not staying illuminated when I hold it down, so make sure it isn't your HOTAS

Are you running SRS as well?  If so there is an option in Vaicom to help with SRS compatibility.  Also make sure comms menu is off in the Vaicom options.  If you still need to pull up the menu to see specific categories you can say "options" "Take 1, 2, 3... ect"

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

It's Voice Attack, I got no VAICOM plug in going on here...

Key 0 does nothing in any of my DCS: Module keybinds so there's no interference on that matter whatsoever. It's left unused in DCS / Adjust controls setup for all of the modules I play and use Voice Attack with. 

Accordingly my Recognition Global Hotkey set in Voice Attack is key 0 so VA listens when 0 is down / stops listening and executes a keypress or a keypress sequence when released. (Check pic 1).

On top of that and to make 100% sure it works properly I've checked "Do not allow key to be passed through" making the Key 0 command exclusive to Voice Attack and to declutter it from any apps and browsers running in the background. 

To simplify it further it's a command assigned to a single button of 0, I got no additional (Ctrl, Shf, Alt, Win) modifiers assigned to it so it should be very straightforward.

VHF button on my throttle is programmed to generate 0 character as long as I hold it, making VoiceAttack listen to what I gotta say as long as I keep it pressed. In order to stress test it one can use simple .txt file and play with VHF button so it generates 0 character in 1000/1000 cases just like the keyboard 0 button hold would. So the physical state of a VHF throttle button and it's 0 key binding function properly 24/7.

It's the VoiceAttack app that doesn't recognize my intention each and every time, when VHF hold on my throttle doesn't trigger Voice Attack niether would holding 0 key via keyboard. It does not happen each time, rather happens occasionally but I see no conditional pattern there. 

VA.JPG

Edited by Vekkinho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd say it's gotta something to do with Voice Attack buffer or clipboard...🤔

For instance, it does listen and process like 15-20 of your PTT audio commands in a row flawlessly but then it stops and does not respond until You restart VA completely. Then it resets back to normal and is ready for another 20 or so PTT inputs. Lenght of a speech also seems to impact  the performance.

Saying a short lasting, single word commands like 'Tanker' or 'Flight' allows VA to last longer before it freezes.

However pronouncing something more complex, phrases like "AWACS/Overlord 1-1/ Alpha check from bull's picture" that require single PTT lasting for 5-6 seconds fill up that VA buffer very quickly, requiring a restart after 3 or 4 uses.   

So there is a pattern afterall.🧐

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

44 minutes ago, Vekkinho said:

It's Voice Attack, I got no VAICOM plug in going on here...

VoiceAttack has its own forums that are monitored by the devs. Suggest you ask there. Link via support on their website. I've found them quite helpful.

Also, earlier in the thread you wrote "Most gaming headsets suffer the same problem where mic (in) picks up headphone sound (out) or vibration specific to that word so you end up in a feedback loop." I can't speak for "most gaming headsets" since I only have a simple Logitech one, but it doesn't have that problem. I would avoid a headset where the mic picks up what is coming out of the earcups.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I restrain from VAICOM plug in because it removes all AI comms text from the screen. So I often forget the correct phrases I need to pronounce to trigger a certain AI response.

Using just a VoiceAttack I see all possible options displayed on a screen. It'comes handy when communicating with ATC while flying a FC3 jet that has no clickable and editable radio setup. ATC listing is based upon a distance, so closer ABs are further up on the list.

So say I wanna contact Silverbow ground flying over NTTR in my F-15C, I simply call out "ATC" and it brings up a list of all available towers, I tally the one I want and I see it's bound to F4 key because it's a bit further away from me than the other 3 bases in the vicinity. So I call out "F4" and it takes me to a Tonopah context.

I hope You see my logic here. 😆  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 minutes ago, sthompson said:

VoiceAttack has its own forums that are monitored by the devs. Suggest you ask there. Link via support on their website. I've found them quite helpful.. 

Thanks, will check it out for sure, this is frustrating enough for me but some things You notice only after a certain testing period and I've been testing for a weeks now

7 minutes ago, sthompson said:

I can't speak for "most gaming headsets" since I only have a simple Logitech one, but it doesn't have that problem. I would avoid a headset where the mic picks up what is coming out of the earcups.

Yeah, I test with plain 15U$ Genius headset, with more expensive TM - T.Flight (~100$) and most expensive (270$) AKG HSD271 dynamic mike headset.

In all cases mike boom is connected to a left earcup and all headphones suffer same problem. Since each sound is actually an air vibration, mike picks vibrations from an earcup. Earcup is either being too loud (actually it's cranked) or mike being too sensitive picking background sounds from a TV, my wife nagging or my pirate parrot saying "splash one" 20x in a row.

🤣   

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Vekkinho said:

I restrain from VAICOM plug in because it removes all AI comms text from the screen.

No it doesn't. That is optional, and not turned on by default.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

5 hours ago, Vekkinho said:

I restrain from VAICOM plug in because it removes all AI comms text from the screen. So I often forget the correct phrases I need to pronounce to trigger a certain AI response.

At anytime using Vaicom Pro, you can say " show options" and it will bring up the AI comms text. You just need to put a check in " allow options" in the Vaicom preferences menu.

Then if you want to use maybe the 2nd option, you just say " take two".

Comes in handy if you are not sure of the proper command to issue.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I hate to be the one, but are you running VA in Admin mode?  I feel I've had issues with VA not in admin mode.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

16 hours ago, dburne said:

At anytime using Vaicom Pro, you can say " show options" and it will bring up the AI comms text. You just need to put a check in " allow options" in the Vaicom preferences menu.

Then if you want to use maybe the 2nd option, you just say " take two".

Comes in handy if you are not sure of the proper command to issue.

Saying "Show Options" is useful if you forget a command.  Vaicom takes a little bit of time to get used to and set up right.  I highly recommend going through some of the more common commands and making sure you have all the aliases you want.  For instance air supply for me is about 3 or 4 similar phrases.   "Chief connect ground air supply.  Ground air supply on.  Connect the air supply.  Chief connect the air supply."

I won't toot too much about Vaicom other than it's a great program once you get it set up, since every radio/rio command thinkable is available at the squawk of a mic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, NakedSquirrel said:

I hate to be the one, but are you running VA in Admin mode?  I feel I've had issues with VA not in admin mode.

Yes of course.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, NakedSquirrel said:

Saying "Show Options" is useful if you forget a command.  Vaicom takes a little bit of time to get used to and set up right.  I highly recommend going through some of the more common commands and making sure you have all the aliases you want.  For instance air supply for me is about 3 or 4 similar phrases.   "Chief connect ground air supply.  Ground air supply on.  Connect the air supply.  Chief connect the air supply."

I won't toot too much about Vaicom other than it's a great program once you get it set up, since every radio/rio command thinkable is available at the squawk of a mic.

I tried Vaicom but it was a Free one so it probably lacked AI commands toggle option or I wasn't paying attention back in the day. Guess I'm gonna go Pro sooner or later so I'll enjoy flying a further more. 

but back to Voice Attack, I have most of the DCS modules configured with all commands so I cover 90% off all featured commands, many of them sporting different phrases. I also included lot of prefix and sufix commands that I find great for creating complex phrases, mostly needed for managing AI Wingmen and entire AI Flight. So yeah, it  takes a while to get it all sorted to my liking. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vaicom Pro is the schnizzle for sure!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|