Anyone else consider DCS: F-5E as underpowered for DCS environment

The F-5E is a light fighter derived from a trainer, with two 3.500 lb engines (5,000 lb each when in AB) .. the MiG-21bis is an interceptor with one engine of 9,000 lb (15,600 with AB) ... so, I would say that The simulation is correct. 

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I like this module. A lot. I like the aircraft it is modeled on, a lot. But it does feel underpowered vs. other types in its threat ecosystem. Mig-21Bis , Mig-21bis AI, Mig-23 AI, and F-14A AI.

The better counterpart would be a 70s F-4 Phantom - which is a much more appropriate counterpart to the MiG-21bis. As Rudel said, the F-5E was an evolution of a light fighter based on a jet trainer mostly intended for export.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

On the cold war server against MiG-21 you will be good, in MP that is.In modern warfare it's completely outdated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

F-5E is, what F-5E is. And this whole "DCS environment" thing is, whatever player puts into mission editor, or whatever server they join. This is a sandbox, it has no set environment in my opinion.

It is a match for things like MiG-21Bis and MiG-19P I'd say, perhaps up to Viggen. One should not expect it to do wonders against 4th gen throughbred fighters anyway.

Also, it can mix it up against things like L-39, C-101, Korean War era birds. Also the MB-339, and A-4E mods. Think of these as bush-war, conflict between less fortunate countries etc kind of deal.

That said, I wouldn't say no to a refreshed addition to the module with more air to air wired pylons, and perhaps also mavericks. Just like the A-10C & A-10C II situation.

• Thanks 1

Modules:

MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA, Spitifre IX

Mods:

A-4E, MB-339, Edge 540

Utility modules:

Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS

On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I like this module. A lot. I like the aircraft it is modeled on, a lot. But it does feel underpowered vs. other types in its threat ecosystem. Mig-21Bis , Mig-21bis AI, Mig-23 AI, and F-14A AI.

Flown correctly, the F-5 can compete with and beat everything you listed.  It will definitely be at a disadvantage in some respects, but not hopelessly so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7-7700k 5GHz - GTX 1080ti - 32GB DDR4 - Samsung 970 EVO SSD - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog - Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals - JetSeat - PointCTRL

F/A-18C - F-5E - F-86 - UH-1H - C-101 - MiG-15 - P-51D - Su-33 - NTTR - Persian Gulf - Syria - Normandy - A-4E-C - MB-339 - Hercules

The F-5 is an underpowered aircraft by it's nature. It's a budget fighter. However the maneuverability is pretty decent for its time and it should be a good match for aircraft like the MiG-21 (barring AI inaccuracies).

One thing to keep in mind though is that tactics have a lot to do with who wins and who loses. It's not always about raw aircraft performance. Again the AI kind of muffles this with sometimes unrealistic SA and overtuned FM's that don't have the correct weaknesses to exploit, but you can still try to avoid a head on fight and negate many of the disadvantages of your aircraft.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/Exorcet/F-15singaturebaseACOmodifiedcomp-1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Don't forget that it is a muti-role aircraft, the version we have I would say it is more suited to a CAS role than a true fighter. It can carry quite a lot of ground ordinance, it has very capable guns,  and flown right it has enough loiter time to stick around. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, mayo25 said:

The F-5E is a light fighter whom can beat all 3rd generation fighters,as well the 4th ones ( specially the JF17 ).

Youre crazy dude. The F-5E has only 2 old sidewinders while most 3rd and all 4th generation fighters can carry much more advanced missiles. Youre comparing planes made in the 50s to planes made in the late 70s through 90s. You're massive hate boner for the JF17 is bizarre as well dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hamood said:

Youre crazy dude. The F-5E has only 2 old sidewinders while most 3rd and all 4th generation fighters can carry much more advanced missiles. Youre comparing planes made in the 50s to planes made in the late 70s through 90s. You're massive hate boner for the JF17 is bizarre as well dude.

Calm down mate.  He didn't say HOW they would be beaten; just that it could beat all third and fourth gen fighters. 

If you think about it, he's absolutely correct.  Any Fox-2 missile can destroy any aircraft.  Bullets in the air, can destroy any aircraft.  If the F-5 can get a jump on the 3rd or 4th gen, it can absolutely destroy it.

The F-5 is my favorite bird (aside from helos).  Sure I come out on the losing end a lot... A LOT; but it's so incredibly satisfying when the F-5 brings down a more advanced aircraft.  A good GCI and the F-5 can make dreams come true!  💘

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Baaz said:

Calm down mate.  He didn't say HOW they would be beaten; just that it could beat all third and fourth gen fighters. 

If you think about it, he's absolutely correct.  Any Fox-2 missile can destroy any aircraft.  Bullets in the air, can destroy any aircraft.  If the F-5 can get a jump on the 3rd or 4th gen, it can absolutely destroy it.

The F-5 is my favorite bird (aside from helos).  Sure I come out on the losing end a lot... A LOT; but it's so incredibly satisfying when the F-5 brings down a more advanced aircraft.  A good GCI and the F-5 can make dreams come true!  💘

Well put sir.

It really does boil down to the meat behind the stick. You can have the greatest bang-whiz aircraft of all time, but if you have a derp flying it . . . Well.

Same in reverse, you can have a supposedly outdated dinosaur of an aircraft hauling antique weaponry, but if the guy piloting it has any sort of moxie, well . . . . He will either make the opponent REALLY work hard for the kill, or he will spank the bang-whiz platinum plated new gen god plane and leave the pilot wondering what the f*ck just happened?!?

Old planes can really cause headaches for newer jets, never assume superiority.

• Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

It *is* underpowered. As in, the real aircraft wasn't what you'd call a thrust monster. It looked cool and handled great, but the F-5's pure turbojet engines were rather wimpy.

It was small, light, responsive, supersonic if you were patient enough, and as far as fighter jets go, it was pretty cheap. Corvettes look cool too, but don't expect to win any Formula One races with one.

No bug here.

AD

Kit:

Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!