Lets Share Those HOTAS Profiles (Templates Included)

HemiGuy

Too many Virpil Controllers to manage across multiple modules - the CM3 Throttle, Control Panel 1 and Control Panel 2. I took the original posted CM3 Template and created CP1 and CP2 template to match - at least I hope I have. Trying to keep the same controller button for the Warbirds to aide in failing memory. 

In my own configuration I have set Encoders to Axis as well, useful on CP2 for analogue trim on warbirds and set the analogue axis to buttons on CP1 for the mixture control for the P51 and the Spitfire, but have not added these yet

IMG_0439.jpg

Virpil Control Panel 2 Template.pptx Virpil Control Panel 1 Template.pptx

• Like 3

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 часов назад, Double Dutch сказал:

What does MOD+ mean?

Mod - modification button. When button press and hold you can bind second action on same button. I use one button on control stick as mod.

Edited by MaxMPower

ASUS ROG STRIX G17 (RTX2070) | Oculus Quest 2
VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Control Panel#2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base+Grip

VPC ACE Interceptor pedals

Ми-8, Ми-24Д, Ка-50, Л-39, Миг-15, Миг-21, Су-27, Су- 33|Harrier, F-14, F-16, F-18, Supercarrier, AH-64D
FC3, CA, NS430|Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

48 minutes ago, MaxMPower said:

Mod - modification button. When button press and hold you can bind second action on same button. I use one button on control stick as mod.

Ah.. don't know how to do that yet...

🙂

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with how to configure the 6 buttons (icw) with the 5 way button. I am thinking of doing:

- Ground (+ Carrier depending on how much you need for either)

- Landing

- A/A

- A/G

- Nav. (just flying)

I have done the cold start (pretty cool) but does anyone does that? Is it more common to make a hot start? I saw a configuration, where battery, crank engine (l&r) etc were mapped. Was wondering how often you do this.

-----

On 4/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, MaxMPower said:

F-18

3242A339-1B4F-477C-BC1A-49438D856648.png

20078AF7-322F-486D-B0F0-60FAE0550D49.png

Hi Maxpower,

I have stolen many of your good ideas 🙂 but 1 I am not able to get to work and that is E1 and E2 (the dials).

I am perfectly able to turn them and to configure for the volume, but to press them and then being able to change the channel I can manage to do. Can you give me some pointers pls?

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

On 4/22/2021 at 4:46 AM, xnomad said:

I only got my throttle the other day but found going from a CH pro throttle to this I was getting lost in VR.
So added some mods to the buttons to find my way around 'blindly'.
Fuzzy velcro (B6) button is Master Caution reset
Hooked velcro (B5) is A/G mode, above it (B2) is A/A mode
T7 with rubber grommet is Master Arm
T6 with Spring is Fuel Probe
T5 bare vanilla is flaps
T4 I repurposed a Saitek quadrant part, cut a slot and taped it on for landing gear. Was going to 3d print something but this was quicker.

One of the main reasons I purchased the throttle, don't laugh, is E1 and E2 to control RWR and WPN volume in quick missions. I can't stand having to look down and dial them each time using the  mouse as they are so loud in the F/A-18 that the wife get's the proverbials. Also obviously the detents, dual throttle axes and extra buttons were also part of the decision.

Hi,

I think I have the same Virpil setup. Can you tell me with what functions you configured your 5 way switch i.c.w. the 6 buttons?

-----

3 часа назад, Double Dutch сказал:

Hi Maxpower,

I have stolen many of your good ideas 🙂 but 1 I am not able to get to work and that is E1 and E2 (the dials).

I am perfectly able to turn them and to configure for the volume, but to press them and then being able to change the channel I can manage to do. Can you give me some pointers pls?

I set “push on dial” as modifier and set channel switch as function - rotate+modifier. As result I have  capability to switch channels as second function of dials…“rotate when modifier is pressed”. It is regular modifier function in DCS.

• Thanks 1

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Control Panel#2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base+Grip

Ми-8, Ми-24Д, Ка-50, Л-39, Миг-15, Миг-21, Су-27, Су- 33|Harrier, F-14, F-16, F-18, Supercarrier, AH-64D

1 hour ago, MaxMPower said:

I set “push on dial” as modifier and set channel switch as function - rotate+modifier. As result I have  capability to switch channels as second function of dials…“rotate when modifier is pressed”. It is regular modifier function in DCS.

Thanks.. I have seen the modifier option when I you add combo, but all I see there is shift, ctrl and such. How do you add pressing as a modifier? Or is it so simple (in the office now) that you click open the modifier options and when pressing the dial it automatically adds it?

-----

2 часа назад, Double Dutch сказал:

Thanks.. I have seen the modifier option when I you add combo, but all I see there is shift, ctrl and such. How do you add pressing as a modifier? Or is it so simple (in the office now) that you click open the modifier options and when pressing the dial it automatically adds it?

In Russian, but i think you will understand

Безымянный.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

Hi,

I think I have the same Virpil setup. Can you tell me with what functions you configured your 5 way switch i.c.w. the 6 buttons?

I use the 5 way switch as the ECM switch on the Hornet which is also 5 way and matches nicely. I don't use it as a mode switch on any aircraft, I think that would be too many buttons for me that way. On the MiG-21 it is a limited version of the stores selection.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

1 hour ago, xnomad said:

I use the 5 way switch as the ECM switch on the Hornet which is also 5 way and matches nicely. I don't use it as a mode switch on any aircraft, I think that would be too many buttons for me that way. On the MiG-21 it is a limited version of the stores selection.

Do you mean the 5 possible programs you have for ejecting chaff/flares? I only use 1 and 5 (set them to fwd/aft on one of the thumb buttons.

I am really new so I think in structure not functionality and was thinking something along the line of assigning 6 button to:

1. Ground related items 
  2. Landing (land - carrier)
  3. A/A
  4. A/G
  5. Flight

-----

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 4:25 AM, MaxMPower said:

F-18

3242A339-1B4F-477C-BC1A-49438D856648.png

20078AF7-322F-486D-B0F0-60FAE0550D49.png

can you share the profile please?

On 4/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, *Moxie* said:

I'm still playing with these, so very much in progress to see what works and what needs to change.  I also am using these in both standard monitor and VR.  My TM-50 "B Buttons" are more for my VR support for no need for keyboard.  I push to keep as many universal as possible so I am not learning new layouts from plane to plane...

F-16 Viper

Image 2021-04-20 at 8.53.23 PM.jpg

f81dafa9-e852-49f4-b4da-32dc56106c6e.jpg

P-51 Mustang:

Image 2021-04-20 at 8.55.52 PM.jpg

59629bd5-20ed-499d-8a83-2e1655e864ae.jpg

Universal TM-50 "B - Push Buttons":

4c0c0812-68c4-453b-abea-8a9a9256eaaa.jpg

all of these profiles have expired in cloud app.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, Lynchsl62 said:

Too many Virpil Controllers to manage across multiple modules - the CM3 Throttle, Control Panel 1 and Control Panel 2. I took the original posted CM3 Template and created CP1 and CP2 template to match - at least I hope I have. Trying to keep the same controller button for the Warbirds to aide in failing memory. 

In my own configuration I have set Encoders to Axis as well, useful on CP2 for analogue trim on warbirds and set the analogue axis to buttons on CP1 for the mixture control for the P51 and the Spitfire, but have not added these yet

IMG_0439.jpg

Virpil Control Panel 2 Template.pptx 132.21 kB · 41 downloads Virpil Control Panel 1 Template.pptx 128.32 kB · 51 downloads

Thank you for the templates, could you share your profiles as well?  I also own the CM3, CP1&2.

thank you.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:23 AM, ralch said:

Here is mine, but for the Virpil TM-50 CM2 and VKB-Gunfighter.   I bought them last year, and learned how to use their software to change a few things like shift mode and others but I feel like I got the most out of my gear with Joystick Gremlin.  I have special macros like to setup my plane for ACM mode (Master Arm On, Radar to Boresight or Vertical Scan, Select Guns or Infrared missile, and so on) and plugins for virtual detent.

I wanted to avoid having different virpil profiles for different planes which by the way might require to exit DCS world to change from one plane to the other and other issues, so what I did was to do a single virpil-profile for DCS and any other possible flight games I have (star war squadrons, strike fighters, ace combat, il2, etc, etc).   My T1-T4 have independent assignments for up and down and even my flaps have buttons assignments for 0%, 50% and 100% that way I can use flaps axis for games that support it and buttons for games that don't (strike fighters for example).  This also makes it easy to upgrade firmware versions because I only need to rewrite 1 profile.

For virtual detent and afterburners for DCS, instead of configuring those in the virpil software I configured all of my buttons and the specific afterburner detents with  Joystick Gremlin, so I have a profile for FC3 planes, another for the F-14, and one for any other games.   In my experience I have found these virtual detents to be so useful that I am not really interested in the CM3 at all, I am happy to just smash my throttle to the limit and know that I wont be in afterburner unless I hit the virtual detent button.  I even added a specific sound in Joystick Gremlin that simulates a physical detent lever being overpassed'(useful in VR).   I have implemented virtual detents using plugins so you only need to chose the plane and the profile knows what are the afterburner specific limits for each plane.

I wish I had the time, skills and audience that Havoc has for youtube videos to share my Joystick Gremlin profiles or virpil profiles with a proper video but if you think this could be useful to you as well I'll be more than happy to share my files here (Joystick Gremlin, Virpil and Gunfighter profiles), just let me know or send me a message here.

Since my gear has so many buttons I decided to use almost all of the buttons for something useful to me.  This is mostly the template for the F-14 but it also has some assignments most used on other planes like Helmet Mode for the FA-18C and F-16C and Alpha/On/Off (Cobra/Overg) for the Su-27 for example).

I found the pictures on the web and used Microsoft Publisher to write my assignments.  

GUNFIGHTER VIRPIL CH FANATEC.png

I would love to see your 16 and 18 profiles. Especially 16 tho

On 9/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, *Moxie* said:

I have added/updated a new "Full Layout" template as an all in one layout for the TM-50CM3 Throttle that now includes the VKB NXT Gladiator.  I have included the original power point version as well as the PDF version for those who want to edit and change up as needed.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JMhibRTaaKabvpK2tnRrYnT4dcz50_XP/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=112239411219577180356&rtpof=true&sd=true

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3F-ckA0QfA6lPXzY95okpmGnaZlYKAx/view?usp=sharing

Full Layout Master Template.pptx 4.38 MB · 4 downloads

That’s the combo I have except mine is the cm2. Same everything minus the detents

On 8/31/2021 at 11:28 PM, Skwirl865 said:

I would love to see your 16 and 18 profiles. Especially 16 tho

hi Skwirl865

Here are my JoystickGremlin profiles in XML and my Virpil config (XML) file for CM2.  

(1)

All my DoubleClicks, Macros, and Holds (called Tempos in JoystickGremlin) are configured in JoystickGremlin itself not in the VirpilSoftware so you can see how they work in JoystickGremlin.

Remember you need to manually change the GUIDs with a text editor for the JoystickGremlin XML files otherwise your devices won't be recognized.  Probably this is the disadvantage with JoystickGremlin: Profiles are not portable.   But once they are working it's very nice, you can change aircraft, and even make changes to the profile and without even having to exit DCS World: You only need to deactivate the JoystickProfile, make a change or open another profile and activate it.

(2)

If you are interested in the VirtualDetent:  I did that with the help of a JoystickGremlin Plugin.  I have carefully calculated the curves for most DCS planes: F-16, FA-18, F-14, FC3, Mirage2K, F-5 and also for other games.

You can change on the fly the curves, for example with my FC3 profile by simply changing the Curves parameter in the JoystickGremlin GUI (see the file: _VirtualDetentTemplate Readme-First.jpg)

This are the values you can select from:

"1=Mig-29, 2=Sukhoi, 3=F-15, 4=F-16, 5=FA-18, 6=F-14, 7=F-5, 8=Mirage2K, 9=1:1, 10=PWingman",

Once you are ready to play with my Virtual Detents, start Joystick Gremlin and Open the VirtualDetentTemplate.xml

I have that one set to the F-14 and only has the throttle and the virtual detent button, that way I think it would be easier to understand how all of that works together.  You will need to save locally also the VirtualDetentForVirpil.py plugin and make sure the XML is pointing to your own local path where the .py file is referenced.

A limitation is that I choose to ditch a left and right throttle, because to be honest I never fly those jets with asynchronous throttle inputs and because in the F-14 I would need more than 8 Axis, so I decided to duplicate the right with the left in Virpil and in JoystickGremlin I am attaching the plugin only to one of the throttles.   Again I don't have any issues with that.  This means that in DCS world you need to map only one axis to the throttle instead of independent left and right throttle axis for the Virtual Device 1.

I have had so much fun with these Virtual Detent and how they work that I am not even interested in the CM3 at all.

See a video about how they work here 

(3)

You might notice on my F-14 JoystickGremlin profile that I have additional or updated functions that I haven't had the time to update on the Graphics Template.  But I suppose you first want to check all of this to see if it makes sense to you and I hope you find it useful and that you can adapt it better to your needs 

At first I wanted to add a kneeboard with the graphics template but I have seen that when I don't remember something I just go to JoystickGremlin to see what was what because I added enough comments there to remember so I never had the  need to see kneeboard pages to remember my assignments.

Have fun and let me know if I can assist you with something

MyJoystickGremlinAndVirpilThrottleConfigs.zip

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ralch said:

hi Skwirl865

Here are my JoystickGremlin profiles in XML and my Virpil config (XML) file for CM2.  

(1)

All my DoubleClicks, Macros, and Holds (called Tempos in JoystickGremlin) are configured in JoystickGremlin itself not in the VirpilSoftware so you can see how they work in JoystickGremlin.

Remember you need to manually change the GUIDs with a text editor for the JoystickGremlin XML files otherwise your devices won't be recognized.  Probably this is the disadvantage with JoystickGremlin: Profiles are not portable.   But once they are working it's very nice, you can change aircraft, and even make changes to the profile and without even having to exit DCS World: You only need to deactivate the JoystickProfile, make a change or open another profile and activate it.

(2)

If you are interested in the VirtualDetent:  I did that with the help of a JoystickGremlin Plugin.  I have carefully calculated the curves for most DCS planes: F-16, FA-18, F-14, FC3, Mirage2K, F-5 and also for other games.

You can change on the fly the curves, for example with my FC3 profile by simply changing the Curves parameter in the JoystickGremlin GUI (see the file: _VirtualDetentTemplate Readme-First.jpg)

"1=Mig-29, 2=Sukhoi, 3=F-15, 4=F-16, 5=FA-18, 6=F-14, 7=F-5, 8=Mirage2K, 9=1:1, 10=PWingman",

Once you are ready to play with my Virtual Detents, start Joystick Gremlin and Open the VirtualDetentTemplate.xml

I have that one set to the F-14 and only has the throttle and the virtual detent button, that way I think it would be easier to understand how all of that works together.  You will need to save locally also the VirtualDetentForVirpil.py plugin and make sure the XML is pointing to your own local path where the .py file is referenced.

A limitation is that I choose to ditch a left and right throttle, because to be honest I never fly those jets with asynchronous throttle inputs and because in the F-14 I would need more than 8 Axis, so I decided to duplicate the right with the left in Virpil and in JoystickGremlin I am attaching the plugin only to one of the throttles.   Again I don't have any issues with that.  This means that in DCS world you need to map only one axis to the throttle instead of independent left and right throttle axis for the Virtual Device 1.

I have had so much fun with these Virtual Detent and how they work that I am not even interested in the CM3 at all.

(3)

You might notice on my F-14 JoystickGremlin profile that I have additional or updated functions that I haven't had the time to update on the Graphics Template.  But I suppose you first want to check all of this to see if it makes sense to you and I hope you find it useful and that you can adapt it better to your needs 

At first I wanted to add a kneeboard with the graphics template but I have seen that when I don't remember something I just go to JoystickGremlin to see what was what because I added enough comments there to remember so I never had the  need to see kneeboard pages to remember my assignments.

10 hours ago, ralch said:

hi Skwirl865

(1)

(2)

(3)

MyJoystickGremlinAndVirpilThrottleConfigs.zip 457.14 kB · 0 downloads

MyJoystickGremlinAndVirpilThrottleConfigs.zip 457.14 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you.  I’m gonna definitely have something to do when I get there.  
I’m using my phone right now so I can’t download it till I get home. 
do u have the illustration of the 16 and 18 in there like u did with the f-14 in this post?  That is SO helpful do be able to look at the entire layout overall. U can also print it and put it next to u when you’re flying. That’s the quickest quick reference u could ever have.  

I do have a couple questions tho.  One thing I haven’t found a video on is how to create and use “modifier” in joystick gremlin.  That and when I do axis to button presses, they work in both directions in the virpil software but it seems than joystick gremlin only sends them when the axis moves in one direction and not the other so for Instance, my virtual detents for idle will fire when I push forward thru them but when I pull back to zero thru the range, the button presses don’t light up in joystick gremlin but they do light up in the virpil joytester software.  I hope that makes sense lol

... do u have the illustration of the 16 and 18 in there like u did with the f-14 in this post?  ...

... I do have a couple questions tho.  One thing I haven’t found a video on is how to create and use “modifier” in joystick gremlin....

Sure here there are the illustrations, however as I was saying, I stopped updating them long time ago when I discovered that whenever I forget something, instead of maintaining kneeboard pages, it was easier just to look in the UI of joystick gremlin to see my comments for each button

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApKL6m6iP2FvuBMtGQGO3FlhQQQ9?e=sV5CqG

and for the modifiers, Yes I use them extensibly in my Joystick Profiles in the form of Modes and that is how I switch between Combat, Landing and other modes.  For example, only in the Landing or Ground Modes, the buttons to autostart, autostop or landing gear up/down are functional.  Obviously I use the Mode Switch Virpil button for that and I am not using the Modifier functionality from Virpil itself.  That Virpil button with 5 modes are configured in Virpil as simple buttons so you do need that part of my VIrpil configuration so that they work well with my Joystick Gremlin Profiles.

I also experimented with the "Temporary Mode Switch" from Joystick Gremlin but I found it to be kind of buggy.  Some times it did not returned from that mode so I ended up avoiding it.

• Like 1