Lets Share Those HOTAS Profiles (Templates Included)

HemiGuy

Lets Share Those HOTAS Profiles

Below is a shared google drive with templates supporting the Virpil CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXTStick and heck even the MSFS2020 yoke for you guys as well.  I also uploaded a full copy of my saved games "Input" folder containing all my LUA's for anyone that wants to try them out (will have to load manually into DCS).  If you do use the LUA files, you will also need to use my HOTAS profiles which will involve you using the Virpil and VKB software to upload to your HOTAS setup, if you skip this step my LUA profile key bindings wont work.  You can skip all that and simply just download my "Printable Layouts" and then perform your own keybindings in DCS as you see fit.  These are not perfect by any-means, but hopefully helps a few get started.  I also try to keep as many controls as possible the same across multiple modules for easy learning.  Will keep these updated as I make progress in my layouts.  I'm learning too so hopefully others will share, would love to see what you all are doing!  Please use the LUA's and NXT & VKB Hardware profiles at your own risk!  If your new to the Virpil or NXT Software, you could be quickly starting over if you don't have backups.

Happy sharing....

Link to Google Drive Shared Folder: LINK

Google Drive Contents:

• Folder: DCS Profiles (copy if saved games input folder)
    • This is a full copy of my DCS saved games "Input" folder (some of these are work in progress - see "Printable Layouts" folder)
  • Folder: Printable Layouts
    • Printable  layouts of what my current DCS profiles
  • Folder: Printable Templates
    • Blank templates of the Virpil CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Stick and the Honeycomb Yoke for you MSFS2020 users.
  • Folder: Virpil CM3 Profile
    • My backup profile for setting up my CM3 Throttle using the Virpil software to support my DCS controller profiles.
  • Folder: NXT Gladiator Profile
    • My backup profile for setting up my VKB Gladiator NXT using the VKB software to support my DCS controller profiles.

VIRPIL Controls - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle — Mozilla Firefox 2021-03-06 at 7.41.04 PM.png

Image 2021-06-08 at 1.48.52 PM.jpg

Edited by HemiGuy
links
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is mine, but for the Virpil TM-50 CM2 and VKB-Gunfighter.   I bought them last year, and learned how to use their software to change a few things like shift mode and others but I feel like I got the most out of my gear with Joystick Gremlin.  I have special macros like to setup my plane for ACM mode (Master Arm On, Radar to Boresight or Vertical Scan, Select Guns or Infrared missile, and so on) and plugins for virtual detent.

I wanted to avoid having different virpil profiles for different planes which by the way might require to exit DCS world to change from one plane to the other and other issues, so what I did was to do a single virpil-profile for DCS and any other possible flight games I have (star war squadrons, strike fighters, ace combat, il2, etc, etc).   My T1-T4 have independent assignments for up and down and even my flaps have buttons assignments for 0%, 50% and 100% that way I can use flaps axis for games that support it and buttons for games that don't (strike fighters for example).  This also makes it easy to upgrade firmware versions because I only need to rewrite 1 profile.

For virtual detent and afterburners for DCS, instead of configuring those in the virpil software I configured all of my buttons and the specific afterburner detents with  Joystick Gremlin, so I have a profile for FC3 planes, another for the F-14, and one for any other games.   In my experience I have found these virtual detents to be so useful that I am not really interested in the CM3 at all, I am happy to just smash my throttle to the limit and know that I wont be in afterburner unless I hit the virtual detent button.  I even added a specific sound in Joystick Gremlin that simulates a physical detent lever being overpassed'(useful in VR).   I have implemented virtual detents using plugins so you only need to chose the plane and the profile knows what are the afterburner specific limits for each plane.

I wish I had the time, skills and audience that Havoc has for youtube videos to share my Joystick Gremlin profiles or virpil profiles with a proper video but if you think this could be useful to you as well I'll be more than happy to share my files here (Joystick Gremlin, Virpil and Gunfighter profiles), just let me know or send me a message here.

Since my gear has so many buttons I decided to use almost all of the buttons for something useful to me.  This is mostly the template for the F-14 but it also has some assignments most used on other planes like Helmet Mode for the FA-18C and F-16C and Alpha/On/Off (Cobra/Overg) for the Su-27 for example).

I found the pictures on the web and used Microsoft Publisher to write my assignments.  

GUNFIGHTER VIRPIL CH FANATEC.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ralch, I'm currently running the same throttle/joystick combo so Thank you sharing your profile.  Would you mind sharing the process of getting the thumbwheel on the right throttle lever to act as your zoom?  Are you using a "button to virtual axis" type setup?  No matter how you have it configured, would you mind sharing the exact steps for getting it to work?  I haven't been able to find either a YouTube video or an explanation in any of the Virpil documentation I've read.  Thanks for any help you can give!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

@Fakum thanks for that link--that's exactly what I was looking for!  I had watched the same exact video as you so I knew it was possible, but I wasn't able to see exactly how to make it work.  @imacken had provided some extremely helpful info on setting up the throttle detents so I'm not surprised he helped with this as well.  What I've noticed about the configurator software is that once you are shown how to do something that you previously couldn't figure out, the answer is completely obvious in retrospect.

Anyway, thank you so much!  @Moxie--sorry for hijacking your thread!

Edited by GoodHope
Corrected @ addresses

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I replied so late.  I was monitoring this thread for after a few days after my post on march 12th, and after that until today.   Anyways, if it still can give ideas, here is how I configured my Zoom In Out "dials" in Virpil.  Then since I also use JGremlin, I simply mapped them in Joystick Gremlin to DCS zoom in/out without the use of an axis for that. 

In virpil you need to configure them as EncoderDial with Buffer or EncoderScroll with Buffer.  You can see my configurations for Physical buttons 15 and 16.  Also you need to enable the "Delay for encoders".   All of this achieves a similar effect to using an axis.   For me it works good enough.  And actually I left just as you can see on the pictures, one with the Dial and the other one with the Scroll but I can not perceive a difference.

Phys16EncoderDualBuffer.PNG

Phys15-EncoderScroll(Buffer.PNG

F-18

3242A339-1B4F-477C-BC1A-49438D856648.png

20078AF7-322F-486D-B0F0-60FAE0550D49.png

Edited by MaxMPower
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ASUS ROG STRIX G17 (RTX2070) | Oculus Quest 2
VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Control Panel#2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base+Grip

VPC ACE Interceptor pedals

Ми-8, Ми-24Д, Ка-50, Л-39, Миг-15, Миг-21, Су-27, Су- 33|Harrier, F-14, F-16, F-18, Supercarrier, AH-64D
FC3, CA, NS430|Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

How do you setup the hook with the flaps axis on the F/A-18? Is it using Axis to button in the Virpil Control software?
I've already used up the four there for the engine idle. Can you add more somehow?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

ah never mind I figured it out, if you double click on the axis in the axis table you can configure axis to buttons there too.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

I only got my throttle the other day but found going from a CH pro throttle to this I was getting lost in VR.
So added some mods to the buttons to find my way around 'blindly'.
Fuzzy velcro (B6) button is Master Caution reset
Hooked velcro (B5) is A/G mode, above it (B2) is A/A mode
T7 with rubber grommet is Master Arm
T6 with Spring is Fuel Probe
T5 bare vanilla is flaps
T4 I repurposed a Saitek quadrant part, cut a slot and taped it on for landing gear. Was going to 3d print something but this was quicker.

One of the main reasons I purchased the throttle, don't laugh, is E1 and E2 to control RWR and WPN volume in quick missions. I can't stand having to look down and dial them each time using the  mouse as they are so loud in the F/A-18 that the wife get's the proverbials. Also obviously the detents, dual throttle axes and extra buttons were also part of the decision.

PXL_20210422_023244395.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No (not with any device). You only have normal view, VR zoom view, VR Magnifier view and that's it.

You can program these to an axis so at the first part of the axis travel you have normal view, further down the axis travel VR Zoom and at the last part of the travel VR Magnifier. But it will not be a slow zoom.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

11 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

No (not with any device). You only have normal view, VR zoom view, VR Magnifier view and that's it.

You can program these to an axis so at the first part of the axis travel you have normal view, further down the axis travel VR Zoom and at the last part of the travel VR Magnifier. But it will not be a slow zoom.

That will work for me.  Any recommendation on how to set this up?

I know how to set it up on a Thrustmaster Warthog. On a Virpil... no clue. Depends on the software you're using.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

15 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I know how to set it up on a Thrustmaster Warthog. On a Virpil... no clue. Depends on the software you're using.

Roger...I'm using a Virpil CM3.  I did manage to find a video that may explain how to do it.  I'm going to watch it several more times before making an attempt to try it out.

14 hours ago, Drac said:

That will work for me.  Any recommendation on how to set this up?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 4/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, Drac said:

I'm flying VR.  Is it possible to assign the "Z Axis" to zoom in and out (slowly)?  If so, how...

I know it's a little OT, but I bind the zoom axis to VR Zoom and VR spyglass, as well as the zoom axis for non-VR use.  It's the beauty of Virpil devices as you can use the axes as axes and buttons as well.

I find the zoom bind works really well in VR as by using the axis (as buttons) it holds the zoom instead of having it assigned to a button which loses it when you let go.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have both levels of VR zoom assigned to two buttons on my CM3.

I rarely want to hold them in for very long. 

I use buttons 7 and 6 for this.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have both levels of VR zoom assigned to two buttons on my CM3.

I rarely want to hold them in for very long. 

I use buttons 7 and 6 for this.

Roger.  That's where I had it originally.  Decided to move this function to the "Z" axis for comfort. 

Yes, and the beauty of using the z axis (to button) for this is that you can hold it in zoom if you want to, which you can’t with a normal button, and use other controls without losing it. 

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, imacken said:

Yes, and the beauty of using the z axis (to button) for this is that you can hold it in zoom if you want to, which you can’t with a normal button, and use other controls without losing it. 

Ok I gave this a whirl and think I like it better - thanks.

Don B

I just bought the MongoosT, the CM3 throttle and the rudders from Virpil. 

Haven't sim'd in 20 years and used to own Thrustmaster Hotas. Luxury with those were that you were able to upload other users their files so there were different configurations out there to try and easily install and return to.

Does anyone use the Virpil Hotas icw TrackIR?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong