My practice area mission

Draken35

Fellow virtual Harrier pilots,  I have learned so much from this community that decided to give a small token back:  my practice area in the Caucasus Nothing too fancy or refined. My idea was to have a single place where to practice basic flying skills and ordinance delivery for every single weapon currently in out arsenal and with short duration sorties.

You can find it here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315396/

You will need the fantastic  vFG 476 Range Targets Package, found here:
https://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5304-476th-Range-Targets-Package

This mission uses the Range and Autolase  JTAC scripts. So, you will get feedback on your bombing accuracy (for some of the targets at least) and you can practice using Laser Spot Search and targeting.

Hope it helps and that you enjoy it! Of course, constructive feedback is always welcome!

Edit:

New version (requires  DCS 2.7) here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316143/

Edited by Draken35
  • Thanks 6

Hey, thanks for this mission.  Just getting into it.  So far only flew Range 1 CTLD JTAC.  Just wondering... in this tutorial on setting up CTLD JTACS, it seems you can get Comms via the F10 menu, but that option is missing in your mission.  I will have to watch the tutorial again to see if I can retrofit it in.  Auto Lasing and Subtitle confirmations work fine, so no big deal. Just an observation. Kind of an old video, so maybe things have changed.

2 hours ago, Recluse said:

Hey, thanks for this mission.  Just getting into it.  So far only flew Range 1 CTLD JTAC.  Just wondering... in this tutorial on setting up CTLD JTACS, it seems you can get Comms via the F10 menu, but that option is missing in your mission.  I will have to watch the tutorial again to see if I can retrofit it in.  Auto Lasing and Subtitle confirmations work fine, so no big deal. Just an observation. Kind of an old video, so maybe things have changed.

Thanks! I just skimmed thru the video and that is a cool functionality to add to the mission. I'll play with it and try to include it for v1.05.

I just uploaded v1.04, in which I started to consolidated the JTAC ranges and added a intervals bombing range. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I will download the latest.  I don't think he specifically explained the F10 Check in functionality. I assumed it was part of the CTLD script but maybe not. I have put in F10 menus in the Mission Editor for simple things like Spawning units, but i never actually messed with MIST or CTLD so don't quite know how they work together.

Anyway, thanks again for a nice Practice Mission.

Just started looking at it. Doesn't seem to be native functionality of the CTLD script but it is implemented via triggers and actions with, perhaps, custom sounds. It is an excellent idea that fits nicely with one of my plans about consolidating the JTACs on Range 3... Also thinking of getting rid of the Rockets and Strafing range and Range 3 as well for that.  It probably will be one or two weeks for the next update for this mission. Tempted to wait till 2.7 is out just in case it breaks something. Also,  I'm working on a historical combat mission that I would like to release these weekend or early next week. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Just uploaded an update fixing an issue with the rearming and refueling from the FARP.

Hey man, thank you for this awesome training mission. I'm having loads of fun!

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it!.... It is what I use for my own training... 🙂

I would love to add formation flying with AI (other than flying a race track, that can be do with the tanker) but haven't found a way for the flight leader (AI) to warn about the coming turn or maneuver...

Also thinking on either adding to this one or creating a new mission to practice missile evasion   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@horstweihrauch

Kappa is right, you have to drag the root folder of the pack into the mod tech folder of your saved games:

image.png

And yes, this mod is required. It provides a FCLP (Field Carrier Landing Practice) surface that mimics the Tarawa and I use it in the FARP for VL practice. 

• Thanks 1