Add empty external tanks

dresoccer4

Quick q: how can I add empty external fuel tanks in the mission editor? I want to practice landings that simulate end-of-mission loadouts.

Thanks

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Add tanks, remove internal fuel. Tank fuel will pump to internal tanks in flight.

Alternatively if you can find the lau files for the tanks you might be able to change fuel weight in them, I've never tried.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

Add tanks, remove internal fuel. Tank fuel will pump to internal tanks in flight.

Alternatively if you can find the lau files for the tanks you might be able to change fuel weight in them, I've never tried.

huh, I had just assumed there was maybe some sort of advanced command in the ME to add empty external tanks.

I could do what you suggested, but I wonder if having 0 internal tanks and full external tanks would change the flight characteristics. not sure how fast those pumps work, especially if i have myself set up in the pattern already

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

+1

An even better solution is to be able to set the amount of fuel in each tank as desired, and obviously keep the option to just set totals as we have now.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, dresoccer4 said:

huh, I had just assumed there was maybe some sort of advanced command in the ME to add empty external tanks.

There isnt any command for it. Some planes simply have an empty external tank as another item to be selected in loadout screen. Hornet doesnt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

1 minute ago, thrustvector said:

just a question though, would they not drop them on a carrier landing?

Why would you drop them? They aren’t in unlimited supply. 

In truth you would only drop them if you are in a situation where the extra drag or weight would be detrimental (dogfighting, emergency situations etc). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When empty, the FPU-8 fuel tank weighs approximately 290 pounds. Landing requirements for a carrier trap mainly only care about total gross weight and asymmetric foot-pounds.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

12 hours ago, thrustvector said:

just a question though, would they not drop them on a carrier landing?

The F-4's did that in vietnam (not for carrierlandings though), turns out droptanks makes for great canoes 😛

• Like 1

First become an aviator, then become a terminator