FOX 3 | AIM-120 Useless...

CypherBlue

So as the issue with the FOX 3s has already been reported is there any chance we can get a Hotfix for them before the 2.7 update?? They are so unreliable its ridiculous. Even supporting the missile until Pitbull is not reliable. Most of my FOX 3s are going to the Moon like $GME! 

They are about as effective as Vietnam era Sparrow Missiles. 

Also can we fire more than one and provide guidance effectively to them? or are we limited to just supporting one missile at a time? 

I know a lot of work is going on for the 2.7 push and I appreciate all that, but if a hotfix for the Sparrows, cough I mean AIM-120Cs could be put out that would be great. 

Thank you for your time.

1 minute ago, Florence201 said:

If you fire AMRAAM in TWS, you can support multiple missiles to pitbull. Just use TMS Right to ensure all are target tracks then cycle between them.

I have tried this and fire them off but they'll loose track quickly and loft to the moon, and this is while maintaining them in radar gimbal limits. 

15 minutes ago, Florence201 said:

There is an overall AMRAAM issue, not just related to Viper

Yes thank you I am aware, I am just hoping to bring more attention to this issue and hope that they may consider a hot fix for this issue before the 2.7 release. 

Many have complained about this issue on other Threads herein (including me).  Most likely a hotfix will not come out before 2.7...since a number of hot fixes have come out recently with no resolution.  They may surprise us though.

6 hours ago, CypherBlue said:

Most of my FOX 3s are going to the Moon

youre either not supporting to active or switching modes during the TOF; both of those cause lofted missiles to fly into space

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Not sure how is working for you, but recently I noticed that whenever I fire a 120C in TWS (haven't tried with the B version but I assume will happen the same), if I then cycle to a different target with TMS right the first missile switch to that target as well, making it impossible for me to fire on multiple target at the same time

The only problem with the 120 that I've come across is that when you drop a track before the missile goes active it will quit functioning altogether. If I'm not mistaken the way it should work is if you drop the track before pitbull it should still guide toward the the last known location of that track and go active. Currently you need to support the missile all the way to active for them to work. I haven't had any problems with firing on multiple targets in TWS as long as they didn't drop from the radar before the missile went active.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, coolneko said:

last known location of that track

*extrapolation of last known location, direction and speed of that track.

It used to fly to last known location at some point in past and it was very useless 🙂

On 3/4/2021 at 4:36 PM, CypherBlue said:

Most of my FOX 3s are going to the Moon like $GME! 

In my experience, if you keep STT until the last moment, it never happens. In TWS though, i keep seeing it all the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

I hadn't a chance to test it myself, is the problem still present after the latest stable patch?

CPU: i7-10700 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB | STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB | DISPLAY: LG 43UN7100 43" | STICK: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

40 minutes ago, Ryann said:

I hadn't a chance to test it myself, is the problem still present after the latest stable patch?

Stable was just a push of the latest OB, so yes

• Thanks 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Thread should be renamed. It is just not true that the Aim-120 is useless right now. Support till active works most of the time without the missile going crazy. And it is certainly still able to deliver the kill if you use it right and this goes for PvP, also. There are other more severe problems related to the current implementation of ECM, though. These problems are potentially game breaking stuff. In the "weapon bugs" section you can find more details on what this is actually all about.

Bringing more attention to the overall issue concerning that missile is a good thing, though. I fully appreciate that and I fully agree with the OP that we need a solution a.s.a.p. in the upcoming big patch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, coolneko said:

The only problem with the 120 that I've come across is that when you drop a track before the missile goes active it will quit functioning altogether.

Yes that happens vs enemy but if the enemy gets destroyed and a friendly is near, you are gonna get friendly kill 100% cause it wont go dumb. It goes dumb even if you don't lose lock, launched from more than 13 miles and if the target spams chaff.

3 hours ago, Furiz said:

Yes that happens vs enemy but if the enemy gets destroyed and a friendly is near, you are gonna get friendly kill 100% cause it wont go dumb. It goes dumb even if you don't lose lock, launched from more than 13 miles and if the target spams chaff.

Yep, that's why it's a good idea to not launch a fox 3 when friendlies are near.

There's also a bug with how the enemy's ecm + chaff interacts with the 120 even at burn through range.

Edited by coolneko

28 minutes ago, coolneko said:

Yep, that's why it's a good idea to not launch a fox 3 when friendlies are near.

thnx, I only wanted to point out that it goes dumb on AI enemy, while with friendlies it wont go dumb, but thnx for the advice 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Seem this is most likely due to another bug that has been around for a while.  See this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/258729-aim-120-aim-7mh-sd-10-produce-0-hit-chance-against-non-manuevering-hot-target-with-blinking-ecmchaff/

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.