CCIP/AUTO behavior when doing WPDSG

Arbil

Sorry if this has been covered before. Say I have a dumb bomb selected and in CCIP mode on the stores page. If I select a waypoint and hit WPDSG on the HSI the HUD goes into AUTO mode even though on the stores page mode still indicates as CCIP. I can go into the stores page and hit mode and select CCIP and then it turns the HUD back to CCIP mode but if I un-designate that waypoint and hit WPDSG again or use the TPOD to select a target it goes back into AUTO on the HUD. Is this behavior correct?

• Like 1

AFAIK, you shouldn't be able to have CCIP with an A/G designation. This is long-standing bug. Same thing happens when you designate and switch weapons.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Arbil said:

That being the case, what would be the best way to get eyes on a target area using the TGP if you intend to drop dumb bombs with CCIP?

Be in AUTO with a target designation, turn in and undesignate during the run. Use a markpoint to slave the pod again, if you need to.

But you should try getting used to dropping dumb bombs in AUTO, with a ~40 degree dive. Just roll into the target and settle into a dive. For me, it's often more accurate than CCIP.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

There is some strange misconception that AUTO is somehow less precise or accurate than CCIP. Its the same bomb doing the same thing, AUTO and CCIP are just two different ways to fly to the desired BRP.

As Harker said, start having a look at diving AUTO deliveries, it will change your life 😉

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Plus, with AUTO, you only really need to worry about left/right, removing pitch adjustments from the equation, which is the one variable that often leads to misses. If you keep the pickle pressed, the bomb will release exactly when it needs to. Just make sure you're aligned.

-

Diving AUTO is the way to go with some caveats for the Hornet.

If you're using Mk83's they are confirmed bugged and will fall short in a dive. If you want them to hit you need to aim long of the target, and I find this easier to guess in CCIP than AUTO at the moment. I haven't tested Mk82's or Mk84's as much but it seems the effect isn't as bad in those, with mk82's being least affected by this 

Mk83's will only hit their aimpoint at 7k ft at 370kts for some reason, and you're unlikely to hit those parameters in a dive. The higher you are the slower you need to be, the faster you are the lower you need to be. Too high/fast=bomb short. Too low/slow=bomb long. A 450kt diving delivery virtually gaurantees short bombs.

Again, this is due to a bug in DCS and has nothing to do with any real world procedure.

Confirmed bug report Here

On 3/5/2021 at 8:36 PM, LastRifleRound said:

Diving AUTO is the way to go with some caveats for the Hornet.

If you're using Mk83's they are confirmed bugged and will fall short in a dive. If you want them to hit you need to aim long of the target, and I find this easier to guess in CCIP than AUTO at the moment. I haven't tested Mk82's or Mk84's as much but it seems the effect isn't as bad in those, with mk82's being least affected by this 

Mk83's will only hit their aimpoint at 7k ft at 370kts for some reason, and you're unlikely to hit those parameters in a dive. The higher you are the slower you need to be, the faster you are the lower you need to be. Too high/fast=bomb short. Too low/slow=bomb long. A 450kt diving delivery virtually gaurantees short bombs.

Again, this is due to a bug in DCS and has nothing to do with any real world procedure.

Confirmed bug report Here

Interesting findings thanks for posting.

On my end, I can say that the Mk-82 is reasonably accurate in a 30-45 degree dive, with a release at ~5,000 ft and ~450 knots.

-