Cyclic/Collective controls?

Anybody have a diagram or list or the controls on the cyclic/collective so we can start thinking about our HOTAS bindings? Looks like there's a lot of them!

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

This shown above is from original AH-64A helicopter from the Cold War and Desert Storm.

In DCS there will be AH-64D variant from 2002 with different controls and lot more hats and switches. Collective has even "double grip" because apparently it was impossible to fit all the controls in one grip.

Bez tytułu.jpg

Edited by bies
  • Like 5

Found these combing through the army manual. They like to spread out the diagrams between systems so it's going to take time coming up with a cohesive overview of all functions.

0u3gPIbpdaKJye8Gj7ljBZk0FC7Qljld1U1SlTs2

o7wHdG0bxhU3OCe9rwDtkw1FHXb24js7zfot9fV_

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

On 1/20/2021 at 8:20 AM, kengou said:

Found these combing through the army manual. They like to spread out the diagrams between systems so it's going to take time coming up with a cohesive overview of all functions.

0u3gPIbpdaKJye8Gj7ljBZk0FC7Qljld1U1SlTs2

o7wHdG0bxhU3OCe9rwDtkw1FHXb24js7zfot9fV_

I can help you all out.  I'm sure you'll get a decent guide from casmo at some point.

Cyclic button Functions

(top left)Force trim/hold mode switch: this is your trim button. It also has altitude and attitude hold
(top middle)Weapon Action Switch(WAS): lets you select your freedom setting. i.e.- gun, missiles, rockets
(top right)Symbology select switch: Cruise, Transition, Hover and bob up modes. 
(top center): counter measures button
(left): Mic switch: both ICS and COMM
(trigger): freedom button
(bottom pinky button): no no switch. Pretty much deactivates your FMC

Collective, mission grip

(top) FCR scan size: Think of this as narrowing or widening your scan in normal A/A radars. Same concept 
(top left) FCR mode switch: switch between ground, air, terrain modes

(center) cursor controller: its your fancy thing to control the cursor on the MFDs. Has a z-axis for selecting what you have highlighted with your cursor.
(right) sight select: Select your primary sight. HMD or FCR for pilot
(center center) cursor select button: quickly moves cursor to next MFD 
(thumb button) FCR scan: activates scan with FCR
(other thumb button?) cued search: does a quick scan towards threatiest of threats. Its your "I have an SA-19 locking me from over there somewhere. Find it" button
(pinky button) missile advance: select next missile

Collective flight grip

(top) boresight/polarity: White hot/black hot
(left barber pole): jettison stores
(center Left) TADS/PNVS select: for night flying. Select which you will use
(center right) manual stabilator switch: Manually control the big wing thing on the tailboom

(right, both) both control the search light in some fashion
(trigger) BUCS trigger: your backup control system trigger. Its for really bad days. Read about it if you're curious
(thumb button) chop button: electronically cuts engines.
(pinky button) tail wheel lock/unlock: as the name implies

there are quite a few controls that, in a DCS standpoint, you don't necessarily need. So as long as you have a decent hotas it shouldn't be all that bad. 

Edited by vigilante87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 9

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, vigilante87 said:

Cyclic button Functions

(top pinky button): target store. This can be used with your HMD to rapidly save targets you are looking at

Keep in mind that ED is making a 2002-era AH-64D, in which case this particular function didn't exist at that time.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

7 hours ago, vigilante87 said:

I can help you all out.  I'm sure you'll get a decent guide from casmo at some point.

Cyclic button Functions

(top left)Force trim/hold mode switch: this is your trim button. It also has altitude and heading hold
(top middle)Weapon Action Switch(WAS): lets you select your freedom setting. i.e.- gun, missiles, rockets
(top right)Symbology select switch: Cruise, Transition, Hover and bob up modes. 
(top center): counter measures button
(left): Mic switch: both ICS and COMM
(trigger): freedom button
(bottom pinky button): no no switch. Pretty much deactivates your FMC

Collective, mission grip

(top) FCR scan size: Think of this as narrowing or widening your scan in normal A/A radars. Same concept 
(top left) FCR mode switch: switch between ground, air, terrain modes

(center) cursor controller: its your fancy thing to control the cursor on the MFDs
(right) sight select: Select your primary sight. HMD or FCR for pilot
(center center) cursor select button: quickly moves cursor to next MFD 
(thumb button) FCR scan: activates scan with FCR
(other thumb button?) cued search: does a quick scan towards threatiest of threats. Its your "I have an SA-19 locking me from over there somewhere. Find it" button
(pinky button) missile advance: select next missile

Collective flight grip

(top) boresight/polarity: White hot/black hot
(center Left) TADS/PNVS select: for night flying. Select which you will use
(center right) manual stabilator switch: Manually control the big wing thing on the tailboom

(right, both) both control the search light in some fashion
(trigger) BUCS trigger: your backup control system trigger. Its for really bad days. Read about it if you're curious
(pinky button) tail wheel lock/unlock: as the name implies

there are quite a few controls that, in a DCS standpoint, you don't necessarily need. So as long as you have a decent hotas it shouldn't be all that bad. 

Thanks for really well written explanation there helps me better understand the subjects when reading the manual 🙂

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

Thanks so much! So far I can fit everything (cyclic/collective at least) on my HOTAS, if I don't bind the following:

And all searchlight functions (fairly useless in DCS anyway)

How important are some of these functions? Most seem like emergency-only functions, and in DCS, an emergency in a Helo pretty much means you're reloading the game anyway. Is the manual stabilator important? Seems like it's automatic most of the time anyway?

2 hours ago, kengou said:

Thanks so much! So far I can fit everything (cyclic/collective at least) on my HOTAS, if I don't bind the following:

And all searchlight functions (fairly useless in DCS anyway)

How important are some of these functions? Most seem like emergency-only functions, and in DCS, an emergency in a Helo pretty much means you're reloading the game anyway. Is the manual stabilator important? Seems like it's automatic most of the time anyway?

Yup you are correct. All those (besides the searchlight and stabilator) pertain to emergency stuff.

With the stabilator yeah, its auto most of the time. Only in certain circumstances would you use it, for instance in rolling take off's. But again, in DCS there are some things you can more or less force aircraft through and it works just fine.

Edited by vigilante87

• ED Team
2 hours ago, kengou said:

Not very from a gameplay perspective, it really depends on how in-depth of a simulation you want to get.  I will say I've used the jettison stores button in the Ka-50 numbers of times.  For example, there have been times I've lost an engine in the Black Shark and had to jettison my remaining stores to re-gain the power margin to maintain level flight back to the FARP for repairs

Regarding the stabilator manual control, it is normally kept in automatic, but the switch is there to either control it manually in case there is an automatic mode failure; or optionally slew it down to push the nose down to increase over-the-nose visibility during low-speed flight or landing approaches.  But even that isn't necessary since you can switch on your Pilot-Night-Vision-System (PNVS) FLIR nose turret to simply look through the floor, even during the day.

It should also be noted that several of these buttons on the controls have a "depress" function like the Sensor Control Switch depress in the F/A-18 and Harrier.  For example, to reset the stabilator to automatic mode, you depress the button.  Or the cursor controller can be depressed to "click" on an option under the cursor.  So that unfortunately increases the number of possible key-mappings required.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, NineGzuz said:

How does the force trim work?  In the huey and the shark it's just a push button.  But the apache's force trim looks like a up/down rocker or two way HAT to me.

It works the same way, you just hold it in the Forward direction instead of pushing it down.

• Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

For flying any DCS chopper module, I want the Apache collective 1st and the OH-58D collective 2nd...... all the other collectives I have seen on real helicopters just don't offer the versatility that they do.

I want. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:51 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

For flying any DCS chopper module, I want the Apache collective 1st and the OH-58D collective 2nd...... all the other collectives I have seen on real helicopters just don't offer the versatility that they do.

I want. 

If you have a 3d printer and with a bit of DIY'ing you can find the collective base and controls from here. He She has a Kiowa collective and he's doing an Apache one

Edited by Foxtrot_3103
I'm an idiot

10 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I want. 

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/ are already accepting pre-orders for Kiowa Cyclic and Collective, so i looks like the Kiowa will be the first with available controls on the market, also makes sense since it properly will be released before the Apache

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, kotor633 said:

Oh shit! How should all this be mapped in DCS ...? Will be interesting!

Don't forget to buy at least two additional Warthog or Virpil CM-50 Sticks to map the Weapons/Sensor-Controls for the frontseater... 😈

EDIT ...and new MFDs with more buttons.

Screenshot_20210123-180640~2.png

Screenshot_20210123-181006~2.png

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb shagrat:

Don't forget to buy at least two additional Warthog or Virpil CM-50 Sticks to map the Weapons/Sensor-Controls for the frontseater... 😈

EDIT ...and new MFDs with more buttons.

Screenshot_20210123-180640~2.png

Screenshot_20210123-181006~2.png

No chance! 😉

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

If any of you have more money than you know what to do with, here is a link to an Apache Cockpit setup.  Not 100% sure they sell to Civilians but badass none the less.  They also have fixed wing.  I have personally flown their F-35 controls in a Prepar3D sim.  The sim was a joke but the flight controls were legit.  I have seen them for sale on Ebay before so this should not be restricted to Government only, but the cost will probably be that of a car.  The link for all aircraft controls is below the Apache Demo video.  And also for anyone who has not seen Polychop's Facebook lately, I provided their link to a company making OH-58 controls.  A lot more reasonable price.  They also have UH-1 controls as well.  All sold to civilians.

https://www.bugeyetech.com/ah-64

https://www.bugeyetech.com/products

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/cyclic/products/oh-58d

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective/products/oh-58d-1

• ED Team
On 1/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, kotor633 said:

Oh shit! How should all this be mapped in DCS ...? Will be interesting!

On Warthog you could map the china hat as modifier and set it up so if it's in forward position you hold the forward grip, if it's in aft position you hold the aft grip. Then map front and aft grip inputs to respective layers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1