Rework for the switches logic and additional input options?

Fri13

I fly primarily in VR using touch controllers (no keyboard, no mouse, nothing extra), and one of the challenging things in DCS is the switches logic that what is suppose to be "left click" and what "right click". 

Like if switch moves vertically, is the left click suppose to be "UP" and right click "Down". And if the switch is horizontal, is the left click "Left" and right click "Right". Or is the left click "Enable" or "On" and so on right click "Disable" or "Off".

In the Touch Controllers the mini-stick in them is left/right click by going Up/Down and mouse wheel scrolling left/right (example adjust the volume dials or lighting dials etc slowly or quickly).

And in the MiG-21 there seems to be some switches that behaves just oddly, like the radar beam switch. 

In many modules the order has been made with some recommended values that ED did with that logic, so left is Up and right is Down etc.

But should there be a more of those changes in the cockpit? Like the emergency gears drop handle on the right side (right of the RPM gauge) has interesting logic that you need to first use wheel to slowly open the handle (push it forward) and then it becomes as a handle, and then you need to pull that hand through down direction toward yourself. And to operate that handle is fairly slow process as you can't just flip the handle open first quickly, and then pull it backward to drop gears. 

And then there are some illogical functions for covered buttons, that you can press the button without opening the cover first. 

Sure many doesn't like that idea as it would require to either click them open or have multiple bindings, but example for me I have the MCG PRO that has the hat as thumb button. 

And in the MiG-21Bis the weapon release button pressed by a thumb, and it is located under a safety guard/cover. 

So  I have the 5-way hat made so that Left = open and Right = close, and press = press. 

But that doesn't really do much as you can just press the button when wanted to release and the cover automatically opens for that moment and closes. 

So it would be nice to actually have function to require to open the safety cover before doing so.

Similar thing is with the landing chute and some others. 

And regardless that MiG-21Bis throttle and stick controls are feature limited, it would be nice to have them in the category as "HOTAS" (or more correctly, "Stick and Throttle") so it would be easier to find and bind the proper functions in it.

I assume that we have not received yet a new cockpit redesign where switches etc should become bigger? As they still look IMHO as a toothpicks on the panels... 

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Here's a post I did a while back showing how aircraft in DCS are set up.

Most aircraft in DCS use the right mouse button to move a switch forwards/upwards/right/clockwise; they're also set-up such that maintained, 2 position switches cycle (i.e subsequent presses moves the switch back and forth etc - these are also setup so that either mouse button can operate them).

With knobs and dials or switches with more than 2 positions, they typically don't cycle, i.e they reach physical stops where subsequent mouse clicks don't move the switch - you've got to use the other mouse button to make them go the other direction.

There are some exceptions, even within the module themselves, but the majority uses RMB for forwards/upwards/right/clockwise - the MiG-21bis is an exception.

I agree that guarded switches shouldn't be possible to operate without first opening the guard, this is how it is in every module apart from the MiG-21bis.

I don't particularly have a problem with the switches, I can see and read them just fine, even on my tiny display; if they're inaccurately small however, then I agree it should be fixed. 

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.