Night vision or JHMCS?

papy.rabbit.08

What good will jhmcs be if you can’t see a target to look at and lock up?

I’d go nvg for sure.

• Like 1

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Night AA mission.  Definitely JHMCS.

Night AG mission.  An AV8B-NA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Always JHMCS, I see basically no need at all for NVGs in the Hornet

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 3/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, Shimmergloom667 said:

Always JHMCS, I see basically no need at all for NVGs in the Hornet

Stay away from low level, you won’t be hiding in a ravine!

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Is aerial refuelling possible at night without NVGs?

Sure thing, super easy - as StevanJ says the probe light illuminates the basket nicely, and everything else you can manage well enough without seeing it.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

If I am getting down in the weeds - NVG’s

otherwise JHMCS. 

Will be interesting if ED implement the NAVFLIR in the ATFLIR pod (actually it’s mounting adapter) with the raster HUD rendering. Even less reason to bring along NVG’s. 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Shimmergloom667 said:

Sure thing, super easy - as StevanJ says the probe light illuminates the basket nicely, and everything else you can manage well enough without seeing it.

Well I've done AAR now without NVGs Yes it's not only possible - but quite fun and well lit - I never actually realized it. Now getting close to tanker without the nvgs.... That's a but more challenging. I've only done this with an s3 and I can't see the damn thing until I'm nearly in the back of it! Between probe light distance and 0.2 mile it's a bit difficult...

On 3/13/2021 at 10:12 PM, Hoirtel said:

Well I've done AAR now without NVGs [...] I've only done this with an s3 and I can't see the damn thing until I'm nearly in the back of it! Between probe light distance and 0.2 mile it's a bit difficult...

i think it's actually the same without VR. you fly through pitch dark space until all of a sudden big bright tanker lights pop up. i hope this will be improved in the future.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:12 PM, Hoirtel said:

Well I've done AAR now without NVGs Yes it's not only possible - but quite fun and well lit - I never actually realized it. Now getting close to tanker without the nvgs.... That's a but more challenging. I've only done this with an s3 and I can't see the damn thing until I'm nearly in the back of it! Between probe light distance and 0.2 mile it's a bit difficult...

You can lock them on radar using tws to keep track and distance; then when close they will "usually" flip their nav lights on to you can see the closure rate (how quickly are the red and green lights diverging). Then when ready to put out your probe flip radar off, probe out, and should start lighting the basket up. Always remember to close to maybe 1-2 miles then slow right down to very slow closure.

7 hours ago, LTRMcrew said:

You can lock them on radar using tws to keep track and distance; then when close they will "usually" flip their nav lights on to you can see the closure rate (how quickly are the red and green lights diverging). Then when ready to put out your probe flip radar off, probe out, and should start lighting the basket up. Always remember to close to maybe 1-2 miles then slow right down to very slow closure.

Yeah I did all that. I just couldn't seen the nav lights until I was very close - just about when the probe light starts to work (after cleared contact) Maybe this is just with the S3 or maybe just a VR thing - usually the lights in VR are OTT so I'm not sure. I did manage to slow down in time and refuel successfully but more by guess work for the last part than anything else. Felt like I was missing something. I'll try with a kc130/kc135mprs and see if the lighting is any better.

9 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah I did all that. I just couldn't seen the nav lights until I was very close - just about when the probe light starts to work (after cleared contact) Maybe this is just with the S3 or maybe just a VR thing - usually the lights in VR are OTT so I'm not sure. I did manage to slow down in time and refuel successfully but more by guess work for the last part than anything else. Felt like I was missing something. I'll try with a kc130/kc135mprs and see if the lighting is any better.

quite possible; the s3 is very old very poor model compared to C135 or c130

AAR refueling in pitch-dark night and in addition tanker has non-operating TACAN - here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/gildia.org/photos/pcb.3954352047991506/3954345821325462

I really can't see where NVG would be useful, maybe in CAS mission, when you have to look for targets on the ground, but in that situation I would choose to ride The Hog 🙂

And AFAIK Navy regulation forbid AAR and carrier landing s with NVG equipped.

23 hours ago, Foka said:

I really can't see where NVG would be useful

Low level strike missions where terrain masking is necessary? In a dark night i find NVG's way more useful for that, as the JHMCS wont show you any mountains in your way.

• Like 2

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2