Greetings to All

• Cheap_Trick changed the title to Greetings to All
17 hours ago, Cheap_Trick said:

Thank You...yes, I'm aware of speed brakes disengaging when I drop landing gear.  The default bindings are correct, my problem was merely an oversight with FC3 and clumsy fingers.  Thank You Kindly for the Reply.

Please don't delete the question after it is answered - the forum conversation doesn't make sense now, does it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, draconus said:

Please don't delete the question after it is answered - the forum conversation doesn't make sense now, does it?

It happens with me alot at my age.  Juggling and Multi-Tasking  becomes harder with each new day.  1960, Severe Neuropathy, 3 Arthirs, 4 Failed Back surgeries.  So I try to support DCS by running their products and services on a shelf system.  Regards to You and Yours- Eddy

More Menu Editing I've spent time with....the principle behind the work is to decrease file size, leaving more ram cache available.   My system isn't a high end gaming platform by any sense of the term-

So  I look into any theme folders, make necessary edits, change up menu music and the like.  If I live long enough to purchase a 1000 dollar video card, I will die a happy chap.

FCliffs3.jpg

MiG-15_menu.jpg

MiG-19_Menu.jpg

F-86 Menu.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum!

And congrats on the wallpapers - they're cool indeed.

• Like 3

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

On 3/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, Top Jockey said:

Welcome to the forum!

And congrats on the wallpapers - they're cool indeed.

Thank You TJ...I've assembled a collection of viewing screens for the various modules, including opening sound bites and musical loops.    And the thought came to me that it may be of community fun to assemble packages that DCS product users may enjoy, while keeping OEM files intact at user discretion.  The quandry I'm trying to get a grip on is the average screen size ratio of the average gamer...While its safe for me to assume a 16:9 ratio, and assuming a large menu screen of 1920 by 1080 could be considered small by some standards.  Personally I've been a 1600 by 900 guy forever as it is my belief that lower resoluion makes for easier work loads on the System CPU, VPU and the monitor as well.   But I know I will find users that will either disagree with my findings or they are of economical standing that small details would never concern them.  

It occured to me that I could break down  the varied packages to suit the 1920 crowd and the 1600 crowd.   The reason being, DCS uses one very large file for each of its opening screens, and the program will downsize to a degree to fit the user's screen settings.  Not perfect, but enough to jusify its coding.   The short answer is one very large file is loaded into video memory and memory cache, so if we tailor the varied screen graphics for a specific screen ratio size, far less resources will be used for themes, and preserve more memory and caching for what we're asking oiur systems to do- mainly run the simulation without issues.   Since the average gaming consumer has probably plunked down an honest $1500 US dollars, that's one niche of the market, given that flight simulation markets are a small niche to begin with.  

I'm 60 years of age, and there are those of us that just have store bought off the shelf systems that don't qualify as a gamer's platform until an honest discreet video card is purchased and configured.  The average computer user is ignorant to such matters, even something as simple as a discussion of ram type and quantity.  

My system is a mere HP Envy 700-210.  Its AMD A-10 processor and onboard Radeon 8670 HD has never disappointed until I jumped into the latest simulation programming.  Taking the system's ram count from 12 Gb to 24 Gb revealed a substantial improvement, but alas, such discussion is lost on many computer owners and users.

As of this writing I believe the answer is being narrowed down to how I can support the community here.  One size fits all is not the direction for the best results I wish to deliver.  

Having picked up the F-14 a couple of days ago, I noticed that HeatBlur didn't use full custom themes, instead, allowing DCS default graphics to come into play.  While that's all fine and good, it was a small area I discovered that may not even merit discussion.   But I have assembled two fully custom theme tailored only for the Tomcat module.

Once I know I've got every tee crossed, I will be in need to where to upload the packages to the DCS server for consumer usage and acceptance.

AllTheBest- Eddy

15 minutes ago, Cheap_Trick said:

Once I know I've got every tee crossed, I will be in need to where to upload the packages to the DCS server for consumer usage and acceptance.

Looking forward to them. Use the “Upload New Files” button on this page: User Files

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

15 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Looking forward to them. Use the “Upload New Files” button on this page: User Files

Ah, Thank You Most Kindly....well, I need to comprise a readme file as the themes will be a drag and drop concept, since I'm not full phledged JSME user or any kind of mod manager.   All themes I construct will be a simple drag and drop into the user's current DCS\mods folder.  As users may have their DCS folder named something other than default or even stored in a discreet folder outside of default Programs folder, which is how I store and operate DCS products anyway.  

I think you can pass on 1600x900 version as it's rare and I guess most DCS users use at least FullHD or higher already. I don't know where your assumptions come from but it may be well that any themes are wiped from memory when more is needed during the game.

Regarding your PC the RAM is the least of your concern. That A10 and HD8670 are hard pressed against DCS 2.5 requirements. You'd be better off with v1.5 performance wise, unfortunately it would mean no F-14 or MiG-29 in Professional Flight Model version or many others made since 2018.

Heatblur promised to take care of the Tomcat theme more toward the end of Early Access period. I just use my own main screen instead, as I'm not into themes anyway, but would love to know how to setup it up the way it is with other modules - meaning I see the aircraft image when loading the mission for that particular aircraft. You're right that Tomcat currently use default DCS clouds image as the loading screen.

As it is I think the moderator should move the thread to somewhere more appropriate.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria