Warthog HOTAS Pricing

Mistermann

One of the "luxuries" I've always eyed has been a high end Thrustmaster HOTAS system (Cougar, Warthog).  I've never been in a place to justify the purchase price.  I just don't play enough and my "mid-range" HOTAS has always been "good enough" (currently have a T.16000M).

I've recently been playing more and entertaining thoughts of getting a Warthog.  Those thoughts were quickly dashed by $1,000+ USD price tags.  🤯

I don't remember the price of these systems being so high.  Has the supply gone down and driven up the price?  Is there a general shortage of the Warthog?

I am just curious ... do I need to adjust my expectations on what I'll spend on a High End HOTAS?  Maybe I am getting old (I am) - wasn't the price for a Warthog around $500 USD?

What other brands might I consider?  I am a US based consumer.

Thanks!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I got mine last year for about 400 €. I think the release of MSFS 2020 has made Hotas goin high on pricing. In your Situation, i would wait till the price gets normal. do not go over the 500 mark.

The wait will regrad you, i love my Warthoug 🙂 use a 10 to 15mm extention an you get a great feeling for the craft.

I fly Helo also with it, absolutly worth 🙂

3 hours ago, Grennymaster said:

I got mine last year for about 400 €. I think the release of MSFS 2020 has made Hotas goin high on pricing. In your Situation, i would wait till the price gets normal. do not go over the 500 mark.

The wait will regrad you, i love my Warthoug 🙂 use a 10 to 15mm extention an you get a great feeling for the craft.

I fly Helo also with it, absolutly worth 🙂

Thanks @Grennymaster -- That $500 USD mark is what I remember allocating in my mind.  MSFS 2020 - yeah, that makes sense.  I am a patient man as it relates to this hobby.  I have a perfectly fine HOTAS setup and don't have $500 burning a hole in my pocket (let alone $1000+).  

Thanks for the response!!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Thrustmaster has gone up a little.  It's the X-56 Rhino that has doubled in price.

My problem with the Warthog is the same as other people.  It feels a little sticky, and the buttons a little flacid (and I admit, the one I got to try out was a demo model that looked like it had been well trashed by kids and such ).

Of course, to get to the next level will cost you twice as much (VKB, Virpil, which are on the high end of mid range).  I wish I could find a place that sells these, but I've never been able to actively test one out.  They are supposed to be very good.  Beyond that ( high range, where they don't even bother posting prices as they sell to the Military ), prices get insane.

Edited by 3WA
  • Thanks 1

I've got mine for around 290 € (that's 350 $ currently, inc VAT and shipping) right of the Thrustmaster website last year. Was a refurbished unit which are on offer from time to time.

Replaced the original way to heavy stick spring with a Sajah green one but that wasn't good enough either, payed then 189 € for a VIRPIL WarBRD base to replace the Warthog sticks base. which i have sold. Cool combo.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

15 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Replaced the original way to heavy stick spring with a Sajah green one but that wasn't good enough either, payed then 189 € for a VIRPIL WarBRD base to replace the Warthog sticks base. which i have sold. Cool combo.

I did the same.  I love my TM F-18 grip, but the Virpil base is head and shoulders above the TM base.

Unfortunately you picked the wrong time to buy 😒.  Covid has not only messed with supply chains (electronic parts/conductors) but has meant more people at home with time that have decided to get into flight sims of various sorts.  And add MSFS 2020 on top of it you now have supply shortages right at a time of increased demand, so prices go stupid.  Patience is your friend on this one, but know that it will be worth it when you can finally pull the trigger on a good one.

Edited by rob10
  • Like 1

Hmm.  My edits seem to be disappearing.  If you guys are looking for a stick, VKB has a new cheap version of their stick for $120 - $150.  An "all in one stick" that looks pretty decent.  I think it's called the Gladiator NXT.

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1