The 109 is too good

When I fly the 109 WITH mw50 I hardly every get shot down unless I am surprised and don’t see it coming or if I am playing with some friends and they are flying the 109 as well. Likewise, trying to shoot one down with any of the allied planes is quite a task. Best bet is to fly the mustang and hope to god the person flying the 109 doesn’t just want to turn into a rocket and climb into outer space. I love flying it for the same reasons i hate flying against it. I feel like it is too good but if that is the way the bird flew in real life then so be it. 

7 hours ago, GR00VYJERRY said:

When I fly the 109 WITH mw50 I hardly every get shot down unless I am surprised and don’t see it coming or if I am playing with some friends and they are flying the 109 as well. Likewise, trying to shoot one down with any of the allied planes is quite a task. Best bet is to fly the mustang and hope to god the person flying the 109 doesn’t just want to turn into a rocket and climb into outer space. I love flying it for the same reasons i hate flying against it. I feel like it is too good but if that is the way the bird flew in real life then so be it. 

German engineering at its finest. 😉

• Like 8

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

8 hours ago, GR00VYJERRY said:

The Kurfurst was a tough bitch to smack in real life too, especially a later version with 2,000 HP on tap at 2.0 ata supercharger pressure (not modelled in DCS.)

It had other-worldly flight performance for its day and could out-fly just about anything the Allies could throw at it. It probably also enjoyed certain "benefits" such as a short engine life at full power, and short range due to other-worldly fuel consumption 🙂

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

If someone flying the Bf-109 doesn't feel challenged, try dogfighting against an I-16 one-on-one!

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hence why the WW2 scenarios that I currently run have MW50 unavailable 

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Doesn't help that this beast of an airplane is matched up against a Spitfire IX instead of the XIV, the latter of which basically is the answer to the K4.

Hopefully at some point the Spitfire XIV hits DCS.

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

Doesn't help that this beast of an airplane is matched up against a Spitfire IX instead of the XIV, the latter of which basically is the answer to the K4.

Hopefully at some point the Spitfire XIV hits DCS.

I think that it was other way, K-4 was answer for MK XIV, first appeared something 43-44 iirc.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

55 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I think that it was other way, K-4 was answer for MK XIV, first appeared something 43-44 iirc.

Didn't mean it like that, only that it is basically the Allied version of the K4, they being very similar in most regards.

Edited by Hummingbird

10 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

If someone flying the Bf-109 doesn't feel challenged, try dogfighting against an I-16 one-on-one!

a 109 vs an i16 is stupid easy. Keep energy high and boom and zoom. Don’t get into a turn fight with it. The i16 will never be close enough to shoot. 

Edited by GR00VYJERRY
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 9:02 AM, GR00VYJERRY said:

in real life then so be it

I know you said "so be it" and I've no idea of its modelling accuracy myself. But if I wanted it changed, I'd now gather as much hard evidence as possible, because claims without any will be ignored - and rightly so.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:24 PM, Hummingbird said:

Didn't mean it like that, only that it is basically the Allied version of the K4, they being very similar in most regards.

The fun fact about griffon driven spitfires is that prop is rotating in opposite direction to Merlin driven spitfires, so at take off you apply left rudder for take off, I would like to experience this 🙂 Wonder how difficulty it would be to adjust for this 🙂

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Oh pilot skill plays tremendous role here, When i compare 2 planes p-51 vs bf109 k4 i assume that pilots are at similar level.

But real combat is much much more complicated, thing like pilot burnout, fatigue, or many physicals or psychological factors may be involved.

So for simplification i assume that both pilots knows what they are doing.

K-4 has slight advantage in stall speed so with higher alt K-4 will gain over P-51 where IAS speeds are quite low.

19 minutes ago, Hummingbird said:

Mk.XIV featured a bigger tail for that purpose 🙂

From side profiles the rudder was a bit wider. Didn’t the wholesale aero changes come with the mk22/24. They had a huge tail.

B8FE0C15-AF14-427D-890D-5D2C1F17D4D1.jpeg

Edited by Mogster

On 3/2/2021 at 1:55 AM, LeCuvier said:

so true.  those little devils can be a handful.

Edited by javelina1
  • Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

8 hours ago, Mogster said:

From side profiles the rudder was a bit wider. Didn’t the wholesale aero changes come with the mk22/24. They had a huge tail.

B8FE0C15-AF14-427D-890D-5D2C1F17D4D1.jpeg

As far as I know the Mk.XIV featured a bigger rudder from the get go, and it was increased even further in size for the Mk.22/24 as more and more power was squeezed from the Griffon.

I think power or engine torque is not an issue here, mk21 looks like got smaller one then mk22 got bigger again, Looks like they weren't decided how they wanted griffon spits to fly.

What i noticed is that  upper rudder surface was reduced and lower part of rudder was extended in MK XVI , and it stay that way, looks more like shape change rather then size change until mkXIV e here size increase visible.

Mk 21 again back to similar size to MK XVI so definitely rudder size didn't go with power increase of the engine. 

Edited by grafspee

I'm not sure the drawings there are totally to scale.

As far as I've been able to tell when comparing real life examples side by side the Mk.XIV ddefinitely had a bigger rudder than any previous marks, and for th Mk.22/24 it went even larger.

It was definitely a response to increased power though, something which I remember outlined in RAE reports.