Forrestal Update?

Amazing how someone can draw the line at spending money on the SC. I don't understand it. 

2000 dollar rig 

500 dollar control setup 

600 dollar VR set

40 dollars for really accurate comms and high poly model with a bunch of other features. That massively improves immersion....

"hell no, they can't charge for that. That's a paywall I won't cross." 

Lol it Boggles my mind. If you want to save money This ain't they hobby for you. 

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 6

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

1 hour ago, Wizard_03 said:

Amazing how someone can draw the line at spending money on the SC. I don't understand it. 

2000 dollar rig 

500 dollar control setup 

600 dollar VR set

40 dollars for really accurate comms and high poly model with a bunch of other features. That massively improves immersion....

Lol it Boggles my mind. If you want to save money This ain't they hobby for you. 

Yea its amazing too how some exaggerate when its convenient for them but you can get along with 1000€ rig and 200€ hotas and Delan Clip oh look its more than half cheaper now... 

The 50$ for a runway with crew and comms is too much. It shouldn't even be charged for, but it is what it is now,

extra features behind a paywall would be the best cause its not forcing anyone to buy it.

as Reflected said, you want to play their Campaign with SC you have to buy SC... and you already have payed for carried based plane. And if you want to Edit in ME and place Stennis in there you have to do hours of work for one mission.

3 hours ago, Wizard_03 said:

2000 dollar rig 

500 dollar control setup 

600 dollar VR set

The problem is that it's not everyone. And in MP it screws new players. I cant tell you how many new MP guys have some crappy pc that can barely run dcs and are using crap joysticks or even xbox controllers. And for them spending 70 bucks on the hornet and then another 40 on the SC so they can have a somewhat realistic carrier enviroment is offputting. 

I hear it time and time again. 

And for everyone of "me" there are easily 10 or more of "them"

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Then ED miss out. 

Ultimately they charge what they need to to remain viable as a business. They know their finances better then any forum warrior. 

And it’s down to server operators to provide accessibility - it’s simple enough to provide a fleet with both SC and a Stennis, this is not an ED issue.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

Yea its amazing too how some exaggerate when its convenient for them but you can get along with 1000€ rig and 200€ hotas and Delan Clip oh look its more than half cheaper now... 

The 50$ for a runway with crew and comms is too much. It shouldn't even be charged for, but it is what it is now,

extra features behind a paywall would be the best cause its not forcing anyone to buy it.

as Reflected said, you want to play their Campaign with SC you have to buy SC... and you already have payed for carried based plane. And if you want to Edit in ME and place Stennis in there you have to do hours of work for one mission.

40 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

The problem is that it's not everyone. And in MP it screws new players. I cant tell you how many new MP guys have some crappy pc that can barely run dcs and are using crap joysticks or even xbox controllers. And for them spending 70 bucks on the hornet and then another 40 on the SC so they can have a somewhat realistic carrier enviroment is offputting. 

I hear it time and time again. 

And for everyone of "me" there are easily 10 or more of "them"

I've also seen it discounted to 10 dollars, the price of a double quarter pounder meal. Give me a break.

Like I said if your that strapped for cash, maybe this isn't the game to get into. Or you know you can use the free to play stuff. I don't know what to say. There's no free lunches if you want quality you gotta pay up. It's not part of the "core game" because you can do just fine without it. It's not like clouds or lighting it's improved realism, and feature rich. Just like every other modules. 

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 3

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

There are always two factions to any situation. There are those who are perfectly fine with having Forrestal as is and just a disguised Stennis and there are those like me that just see it as a wasted pointless effort if it is never going to be anything but a new Stennis when we paid for the SC . I think once HB found out that ED was not going to let them add SC features to it they should have stepped away from it and spent the time ,effort, and resources finishing the Tomcat. I know the situation is not HB's fault but I see zero benefit to having the Forrestal for anything I play here and do as having the SC and its features is what makes doing carrier ops enjoyable and not generic. So I will just wait and see how this all plays out over time as we all will have to do. I hope they are able to work something out with ED but that will not be anytime soon if they do I believe. That maybe years off and who knows where things with DCS will be by then.

• Like 5

Adding SC features to Forrestal for those that own SC would be an epic solution that only enhances the SC DLC.  Probably a lot easier said than done.

I am very excited about the new carrier, but it is hard to use it knowing it doesn’t have the cool stuff.

Edited by redcoat22
  • Like 5

Oh my bad, your right it was actually free with the naval warfare pack. Looks like you'll be able to afford lunch after all. 

First 50% off is not 10 dollars, Naval Warfare pack doesn't make it free, you still had to pay for something, you couldn't get it for free without the rest of the pack, so its not free.

But considering you have to refrain to insults to prove your point I don't think you have an abundance of intelligence to figure that out by yourself.

Looks like you'll be able to afford lunch after all.

You don't know who are you talking to on the other side so insults like these tell much about you.

But since you wanna know, yea I can afford my lunch thanks.

2 hours ago, notproplayer3 said:

Quick question, is the Forrestal coming to the core game or is it coming with the f14 module ? 

I "think" its supposed to goto the core game.

7 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Then ED miss out. 

Ultimately they charge what they need to to remain viable as a business. They know their finances better then any forum warrior. 

And it’s down to server operators to provide accessibility - it’s simple enough to provide a fleet with both SC and a Stennis, this is not an ED issue.

IDK, I'm not gonna argue about business models, but some stuff should be "Core" and where that line is currently drawn IMO is in a bad place. 

As for the server thing, its pretty lame/meme'ish to have to have 2 different versions of what is basically the same carrier IMO. Hence my opinion that the deck crew and ATC at a minimum be moved to the core game, while other SC features like the LSO station and briefing room or under deck ops etc be kept for the truly hardcore guys mainly so EVERYONE can use a single carrier, but you pay for some extra functionality. When ED is selling 2-3 70 dollar per year modules (yup those are AAA game prices) I figure 20-30% of those sales are being used to support the "core" engine, if not more, so frankly I feel nickle and diming people for "core" features is a bit distasteful from where I sit, though I can easily afford it. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 6

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

10 hours ago, Wizard_03 said:

2000 dollar rig 

500 dollar control setup 

600 dollar VR set

the problem is that doesn't work when you live in a country where and you sallary almost doesn't allowed you to do this and you live in a timezone where you can't play with people from EU and US.

Its so annoying when we try to do carrier ops mission with friends but you need to have 2 types of carrier. and since the stennis has only 4 spawn points sometimes you need to have more than 1 Stennis lol. I find the SC purchase was a lose lose situation for me

"This ain't hobby for you"

the who am i supposed to play with, with all the problem i mention above?

7 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

I "think" its supposed to goto the core game.

IDK, I'm not gonna argue about business models, but some stuff should be "Core" and where that line is currently drawn IMO is in a bad place. 

As for the server thing, its pretty lame/meme'ish to have to have 2 different versions of what is basically the same carrier IMO. Hence my opinion that the deck crew and ATC at a minimum be moved to the core game, while other SC features like the LSO station and briefing room or under deck ops etc be kept for the truly hardcore guys mainly so EVERYONE can use a single carrier, but you pay for some extra functionality. When ED is selling 2-3 70 dollar per year modules (yup those are AAA game prices) I figure 20-30% of those sales are being used to support the "core" engine, if not more, so frankly I feel nickle and diming people for "core" features is a bit distasteful from where I sit, though I can easily afford it. 

I don’t entirely disagree with some aspects of this suggestion - it would be nice if deck crew were a core feature; however, the latest newsletter gives further insight to the depth of complexity required to develop even this aspect and the budget for these developments has to come from somewhere. 

The reference to AAA titles is disingenuous; those titles sell in their millions, quantities that combat flight sim developers only dream about - ergo R&D budgets have to be split across fewer customers.

This brings us back to my original statement - they charge what they need to to remain viable as a business.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ustio said:

the problem is that doesn't work when you live in a country where and you sallary almost doesn't allowed you to do this

Price of the module is only a small fraction of the hardware needed to play DCS half decently as Wizard_03 already said. Let's assume you somehow got it for free and you don't have money - you can still make MP missions for everyone and you can fly Su-25T on Caucasus or Marianas as a SEAD, CAS, strike or FAC... be creative. There's lot of possibilities for a free to play game. You can also test any map or module for 2 weeks for free. That gives you all year round using paid content for free, DLC campaigns excluded.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

There's only one voice for each entity (and the pilot voice is the least immersive, sounding very similar to the tower and drastically changing voice depending on what your asking for)

Hey North!
Have you ever considered VoiceAttack with VAICOM for DCS?
You talk to ATC, (though a lot is to be desired like in that other SIM), and you can disable player voice.
With the ATC addon for the SC, you can disable the "auto progress", and say all "the steps" yourself.
Also for that other SIM, a free profile for VA exists, (Veteran Gaming), which works extremely well, and I have high hopes for DCS to eventually reach this level.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, draconus said:

Price of the module is only a small fraction of the hardware needed to play DCS half decently as Wizard_03 already said. Let's assume you somehow got it for free and you don't have money - you can still make MP missions for everyone and you can fly Su-25T on Caucasus or Marianas as a SEAD, CAS, strike or FAC... be creative. There's lot of possibilities for a free to play game. You can also test any map or module for 2 weeks for free. That gives you all year round using paid content for free, DLC campaigns excluded.

You seem to be missing the point. For most new players they have existing hardware, so no money out of pocket its a sunk cost. Things like a HOTAS can be had sort-of cheap for the basic ones, but even this can be strain for folks, hence the guys playing xbox controllers. I do interact with "noobs" coming to DCS in the MP world often enough, and often enough from poor countries that this is an issue for them. One guy that was a dedicated player I gifted him the SC after a few months, and a) he was grateful, but also b) he couldn't believe that "this is all you get?" dude was incredulous that ED charged for it, and he was glad he didn't actually spend his money on it (this was pre-free 2 weeks). 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, draconus said:

Price of the module is only a small fraction of the hardware needed to play DCS half decently as Wizard_03 already said

9 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

You seem to be missing the point.

They seem to think they people decide to play DCS then they buy a computer 😂

And I don't think they know what it means to earn cash, and the value of money, and how some people in some countries earn way less for the same type of work then in some other country.

In the end it really doesn't matter that the module is just a fraction of the hardware needed, that is not the point. The point is that 50 bucks for this animated crew is way too much, for the other stuff coming yea its ok price, but I only bought SC so I wouldn't be excluded from some servers, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't buy it, cause I am not interested in playing Air Boss or LSO or whatever else it has, so I was forced to buy it.

It would be the best if they make the crew and comms available to all, and just charge for the rest of the module.

30 minutes ago, Furiz said:

The point is that 50 bucks for this animated crew is way too much...

It's $40, not 50. You probably got it on sale plus Hornet ownership discount. $50 will be some day when it gets to release stage meaning it will get many more features than it has atm.

If it is too much price for what it is the customer himself has to decide. It's not a valid argument that there are some poor countries. Never heard of sport cars being discounted for that reason.

And again - no, you were not forced to buy. That was your decision.

I bought it since it was available and had fun with it over a year now so it's not like I would feel bad if they made it free now but imho the crew and comms are the best parts - why would they gave it away?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

15 hours ago, draconus said:

$50 will be some day when it gets to release stage meaning it will get many more features than it has atm.

And some of its existing features may become free for all anyway like the WW2AP (namely the crew doing their thing, the ability to spawn, land, and launch, and maybe the LSO position), while all the stuff that's still coming is locked behind the paywall. Honestly, I think that would be the ideal solution.

All that being said, and steering this ship back on course, one thing I'd like to know, is will we get a paint kit of sorts so that we can modify the colors of the ship to fit our groups or scenarios? I think that would be a nice addition to the game, give us texture artists something to sink our teeth into for a bit.

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

All that being said, and steering this ship back on course, one thing I'd like to know, is will we get a paint kit of sorts so that we can modify the colors of the ship to fit our groups or scenarios? I think that would be a nice addition to the game, give us texture artists something to sink our teeth into for a bit.

It's not even there yet and you want to repaint it - again the mods forum welcomes you.

• Like 2