Keep My Head in the Cockpit, Please!

mytai01

Is there some way that the view in VR can be confined to keep our heads from poking through the canopy? Some of the jets have a pretty small area in real life (ie-MiG-19), and we shouldn't be able to stick our head outside...;)

Below is a video that illiterates how in VR our head can pop out of the cockpit...

https://youtu.be/CtrS0yiKrsg

Edited by mytai01
Add video
  • Like 2

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• ED Team

At the moment this is intentional, it was left with no boundary to help prevent motion sickness as anything other than 1:1 movement can make some users feel sick. 

We have been discussing the possibility to fade the view if the head goes outside the canopy, but I dont have a firm solution yet. 

thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 2/28/2021 at 9:45 AM, mytai01 said:

Is there some way that the view in VR can be confined to keep our heads from poking through the canopy? Some of the jets have a pretty small area in real life (ie-MiG-19), and we shouldn't be able to stick our head outside...;)

Below is a video that illiterates how in VR our head can pop out of the cockpit...

https://youtu.be/CtrS0yiKrsg

You can not control VR vision as it will be harmful to the human mind that suddenly what you see stops while head keeps moving. It is just basic 101 in the VR development.

BUT, what can be done that doesn't disturb the mind, is alter what can be seen!

So going example 80% black filtering is possible to be done. Or you can just blackout all together. 

Removing colors (greyscale vision) and using a G-force tunnel vision effect would be possible. 

So when you move your HMD through the canopy, the vision starts shrinking and it goes greyscale.

Offtopic:

This same thing should be used for other factors in DCS, like when you start to pull G's, the position where your head was looking at would be center of the tunnel opening and rest goes black, so you can't just turn head around while pulling high G (6+) and at lower it would track your vision with delay (so no quick head turns) at variable speed. The first thing to go would be really the colors, and only then the tunnel vision to appear. This would teach players that pulling G's is not thing that allows you just look your six in TrackIR or in VR, but you need to prepare for it, support your head in position so you can see the position where you expect target to be once you come out from the turn etc. 

So one can't just stick head through canopy to see clearly outside, or can't look through a headrest or can not turn head 6'clock while pulling 7-9 G's. For a TrackIR users it is easy to do that the camera would automatically turn to center of HUD when G's increase, while VR users gets more of a blackout for other directions etc. 

It would make dog fighting far more realistic when performing just the max turns would be penalized because lack of physical strains.

We have the basics for the visual effects, it just needs to be applied more in the creative manner. 

• Like 4

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I fly another sim that simulates the glass in VR by playning a "bump" sound when my head strikes the the canopy. It makes me moving my head backwards as a reflex.

You can also make it as a n option, so for those who don't suffer of motion sickness it could be possible to enable it.

Edited by icemaker
  • Like 4

If I remember Il2 has a hard stop for the canopy and I don't find it causes nausea

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

It is called self discipline.,

Stop sticking your head outside anytime the canopy is closed.

:smilewink:

I do not care for that hard stop in another sim and always have it off. I do single player only.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

First people whine about that they need to turn their heads when using VR, and it is not so easy as with TrackIR (to perform 180 degree backwards look)

Then people whine about how their necks hurt when they need to look so often backwards and try to find ways like rotating office chair for it.

And now people whine that they can stick their heads out of the cockpit... 

Like what the.... 

/s

• Like 3

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:32 AM, Fri13 said:

First people whine about that they need to turn their heads when using VR, and it is not so easy as with TrackIR (to perform 180 degree backwards look)

Then people whine about how their necks hurt when they need to look so often backwards and try to find ways like rotating office chair for it.

And now people whine that they can stick their heads out of the cockpit... 

Like what the.... 

/s

The next thing people will be asking for is realistic aircraft! Unbelievable!!! Right?

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

On 3/2/2021 at 3:27 AM, BIGNEWY said:

At the moment this is intentional, it was left with no boundary to help prevent motion sickness as anything other than 1:1 movement can make some users feel sick. 

We have been discussing the possibility to fade the view if the head goes outside the canopy, but I dont have a firm solution yet. 

thanks 

For added realism, have it rip their helmet off  😆

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 3/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, Sr. said:

For added realism, have it rip their helmet off  😆

Don't forget having the canopy break as your VR head goes crashing through it...;)

Strap in.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

To me, I find the way that Alyx (the game, my gold standard reference to all things VR UI related) implemets this: mask out (in grey or black) those parts of the view that are outside. That doesn't trigger motion sickness (although it's surprising the first time you come across it, some kind of aural 'bump' feedback would be appreciated) and keeps the UI clean. 

I encourage making outside-blanking optional, because I love sticking my head out of the 'office' every once in a while to enjoy the incredible view that DCS affords us. VR is so much better for flying, and we should allow the players to take advantage of the new possibilities instead of enforcing 'legacy' limitations 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

YES.

Add head limits.  The ability to break my head through the canopy and cockpit walls is one of the most immersion-breaking things in DCS, for VR users.  And by a very large margin, it doesn't bother users.  Too many people are afraid they'll get issues with it.  Honestly, give one, two, three days max and you'll be used to it and you'll feel like you're actually sitting in a tight space...the cockpit

A poll I made regarding the head limits in BoX:

https://www.strawpoll.me/42395322/r

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 3/3/2021 at 12:36 AM, DayGlow said:

If I remember Il2 has a hard stop for the canopy and I don't find it causes nausea

It may be ok for you. Right now I feel confortable with google nothing produces me nausea, but at the begining that is one of the things that produces more nausea. Your head is moving to one direction and your view goes the opossite. I remember having bad experience in IL2 with that, and I always remove it. 

I am ok if ED adds head limit, but PLEASE!!! add the option also to deactivate it and don't force in servers. What I usually do is, because I can clearly see where the glass it is in VR, I just don't cross it.

Edited by Japo32

Just give the option to choose...

• 1 month later...

Love DCS World in VR, and am really glad they fixed it for Combined Arms, but my question is will ED eventually fix it so your head is confined to the inside of your cockpit(whatever air frame you're flying) or will you still be allowed to phase through it like a ghost?  I would love to have my head stop and even have a "Clack" sound If I try to pass my head through the glass.  

• Like 1

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

I believe the reason may be that it also breaks immersion if your virtual head does stop moving at the limit of the canopy....the reason being that your actual head has no correlating barrier to movement in real life outside of the cockpit in game as you are sitting in it.  It also then likely plays havoc with your senses and you end up feeling nauseous.

I think it is one of those selected compromises of practicality and ability to enjoy the sim experience over the physics of the vestibular system that has not evolved to deal with VR!

• Like 2

1. it will break immersion as head will stop moving
2. head movments which are not 1:1 will cause many many people mosion sickness
3. In the real world you can move your eyes to gain a little more FOV. in VR we are stuck with "goggle vision" and sweetspot considerations. sometimes, "leaning out of the cockpit" to look over the shoulder is the only way to check 6.

4. if you are really bothered by it. program you boundaries to match a canopy size. every time you lean out, you would be popped out of the game vision by the guardian function. good luck.

• Like 2

Option to fade view and bang sound would be great but it never happened to me accidentally.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Personally I don't think this is a big problem. Just sit tight and don't walk out of your chair. 

• Like 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]