Help loading .miz files

dbunger

I'm running DCS 2.5 (Not Steam) and installed on my second Drive D:. However some files still loaded on C dive under my user name. I did a search for .miz files on both hard drives and found the mission files on my D dive under DCS\mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Missions\single. Don't know if this is normal? So when I drop the .miz file (it's DCS Debrief file off of the DCS site) and go into the game it only lets me browse the C drive. The strange thing is If I drop the .miz file in a folder I created on the C dive then go into the game and under My Missions and browse to that folder it does not see the .miz file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Edited by dbunger
Moved

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

1 hour ago, dbunger said:

I'm running DCS 2.5 (Not Steam) and installed on my second Drive D:. However some files still loaded on C dive under my user name.

Hello,

Many modern softwares use to separate the software files from the user configuration files, as this allows you to re-install the software if needed, without losing your configuration or settings. On DCS case, the software files are usually on the path /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS/ while your settings and configuration files are saved at /users/your-user/Saved Games/DCS/

I did a search for .miz files on both hard drives and found the mission files on my D dive under DCS\mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Missions\single. Don't know if this is normal?

Yes, those MIZ files are the missions that came included with each aircraft .. they are usually classed as Single Missions, Training Missions and Quickstart Missions. If you want to modify those missions it is best to make a copy of them and save within /Saved Games/DCS/Missions/ ... they will show up within DCS as "My Missions"

So when I drop the .miz file (it's DCS Debrief file off of the DCS site) and go into the game it only lets me browse the C drive. The strange thing is If I drop the .miz file in a folder I created on the C dive then go into the game and under My Missions and browse to that folder it does not see the .miz file.

Place the Missions that you download from the DCS Website on the path /users/your-user/Saved Games/DCS/Missions/  ... then you will be able to select them within DCS at "My Missions".  If you have many missions, you can create sub-folders to make it easier to find them, like this:

LQgl4zM.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for your response. I have been dropping the .miz file in the location you show. I even created a folder and put a new downloaded file in the folder. When I launch the game and  go to the location  /My Missions and browse the folder that I created is there, so I know I'm browsing to the correct location but alas no file shows up.

If I copy a mission file from say, the default missions and drop it in the folder I created or just the default location it's there. So... it seems to be just the ones I'm downloading that don't show up. I looked at the properties of both files and they seem to be identical.

Any ideas?

Thx

Edited by dbunger
Spelling

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

9 minutes ago, dbunger said:

... it seems to be just the ones I'm downloading that don't show up. I looked at the properties of both files and they seem to be identical.

Any ideas?

can you put a link to one of such missions that you downloaded? Many missions are sometimes compressed using Zip or WinRar, and you have to uncompress them before DCS can use them.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

DCS site, downloads\user files and do a search for DCS Debrief. He has only 1 file. I did notice that most people in the videos I looked at had the WinRAR Icon on their .miz file.

I did change the file extension of that file to .rar and extricated something.?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309574/

30 minutes ago, dbunger said:

DCS site, downloads\user files and do a search for DCS Debrief. He has only 1 file. I did notice that most people in the videos I looked at had the WinRAR Icon on their .miz file.

I did change the file extension of that file to .rar and extricated something.?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309574/

that mission requires the Nevada Map, you won’t be able to fly it if you don’t own that Map.

Did I miss that in the description some where? I did download a different file with the same issue, must need a different map too. The Nevada Test Range Map I assume.

If not missed could you tell me where you got that info?

Thank you.

Edited by dbunger
added

33 minutes ago, dbunger said:

If not missed could you tell me where you got that info?

If you tick on "Folder Browser", you will get a column telling you which Map is used on each mission:

qSDOBDJ.jpg

4 hours ago, dbunger said:

Thx for the help. I feel a bit foolish.

Dont be .. the mission author should have made clear on the file’s description which Map was needed.