What is this cross on my radar screen?

hein22

It is the Acquisition Point Cue: the ACQ Point cue indicates the highest priority MSI trackfile if the HAFU for that track is not currently displayed (e.g. it is not the L&S or DT2). This cue will indicate the acquisition point if AACQ is commanded at that instant. This cue also represents where the L&S target will step to if the Undesignate button is depressed. Slewing the TDC cursor over the ACQ Point cue will remove the cue in favor of a HAFU if the LTWS option is selected.

The ACQ Point cue is also removed when the cursor is positioned over any MSI trackfile. The ACQ Point cue is not displayed when a higher priority target is already displayed (typically the L&S or DT2).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

It is the Acquisition Point Cue: the ACQ Point cue indicates the highest priority MSI trackfile if the HAFU for that track is not currently displayed (e.g. it is not the L&S or DT2). This cue will indicate the acquisition point if AACQ is commanded at that instant. This cue also represents where the L&S target will step to if the Undesignate button is depressed. Slewing the TDC cursor over the ACQ Point cue will remove the cue in favor of a HAFU if the LTWS option is selected.

The ACQ Point cue is also removed when the cursor is positioned over any MSI trackfile. The ACQ Point cue is not displayed when a higher priority target is already displayed (typically the L&S or DT2).

Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation!!

• Like 3

Stay safe

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure it's the contact that has number 1 priority, so when you hit AACQ or something (which I think is commanded by sensor control switch in the direction of whichever MFD is displaying the RADAR), it'll be the contact to be designated for LTWS/STT (I'll check which the RADAR and edit this post).

Edit: yep, the cross is the AACQ priority contact, entering AACQ will STT the contact with the cross.

Hornet_AACQ_Priority.trk

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This might help New cross symbol in RWS - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

EDIT: thread must have been merged with this one. Just loops to here now.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Note the Acq Point Cue doesn't actually always indicate the point of AACQ right now. The priority (as opposed to rank) logic for trackfiles is not yet implemented, so it's sort of useless. Basically when an L&S target is designated it shouldn't be shown. Also shouldn't be shown when the cursor is over another track.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, Jak525 said:

Also shouldn't be shown when the cursor is over another track.

I don't think this part is true. I don't imagine the AACQ cross disappears when the cursor is over a track. SCS will command acquisition of a track under the cursor if one exists, but that's Fast Acquisition (FACQ) not AACQ so I don't imagine it would effect the AACQ cross. 

11 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

I don't think this part is true. I don't imagine the AACQ cross disappears when the cursor is over a track. SCS will command acquisition of a track under the cursor if one exists, but that's Fast Acquisition (FACQ) not AACQ so I don't imagine it would effect the AACQ cross. 

I know that it absolutely should. The reason for this is because Fast Acquisition is considered a sub function of AACQ and ultimately, when the cursor is over a track other than the priority one, bumping the Castle switch will acquire the target under the cursor and not the point cue. So, it's blanked when the cursor is over another track to make it a completely consistent cue.

Edited by Jak525