Boomer basket

CougarFFW04

Hi everyone,

When we go to the tanker for refueling, is there a preferential basket by default ?

Although I have generaly no problem to refuel on the left one (which I am  more confortable with), I tried also the right one but most of the time my refueling probe goes through the basket. Is it just a question of training the other side or one must choose on basket by default ?

Thanks

The way its modelled is incorrect though. The right/starboard side is the preferred starting point, not the left. 

And the tanker's hoses should be deployed upon notification that the intent to refuel is given. Its a visual signal to the receiver that the tanker is ready. If only 1 hose is out, the tanker is unable to use both, etc...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

The right/starboard side is the preferred starting point, not the left.

I think that makes sense, since the receiver queue forms on the left, and that avoids forcing the second receiver to cross over an aircraft on the left basket to reach the right. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:27 AM, ST0RM said:

The way its modelled is incorrect though. The right/starboard side is the preferred starting point, not the left. 

Correct. Right side for number 1. even if joining up with the tanker as a single ship only.

Screenshot 2021-04-07 09.57.25.png

NATO Allied Air-to-Air Refueling Procedures Manual is available online from a number of sources. Just search for ATP-3.3.4.2

Edited by norman99
  • Thanks 1

Nice ! 👍

Unless flying as a single, you can simulate the correct procedures quite well. 

1.    First get your flight in a close group & echelon left formation, and call inbound to the tanker.

2.   Then approach the right basket and set up in pre-contact position. Do not make a ready pre-contact call to the tanker yet. 

3.   Now importantly, give wingman 2 only, the "go to tanker command". He'll be behind the left basket already, and hook up almost immediately.

4.   After calling wingman 2, make your ready pre-contact call to the tanker (no need to wait for 2 to actually hook up, he's already assigned the left basket on you call to him). Connect yourself and start taking fuel.

5.   Give a "go to tanker" to the flight as a whole to send 3 & 4 into the tanker queue. I think you can do this before you hook up, but it has to be after your pre-contact call (which reserves the right basket for yourself). I usually just wait till I'm taking fuel anyway to ensure 3 or 4 doesn't get inpatient and try and steel my hose.

6.   Lastly, whilst both yourself and number 2 are taking fuel, give an echelon right formation command to your flight. This will make them form up on your starboard side after refueling.

One word of caution, aircraft disconnecting and returning to formation, the AI can do all sorts of weird and unpredictable maneuvers, often leading to mid-air collisions. The best position to avoid this is slightly high and forward, almost abeam the tankers tail. This will ensure they reform by moving aft and beneath you.

Edited by norman99
  • Thanks 4

On the KC-130 you can use either basket, at least. As a single, I've refueled off both. I had always assumed it was the same for all of them, but never really deliberately experimented.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2