Would you be willing to buy multiple F-4 modules?

upyr1

Would you be willing to buy multiple F-4 modules?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to buy multiple F-4 modules?

• yes
    • no

I would be willing to buy variants of any plane. I understand that Modules are not easy or cheap to make and even a few shape differences and different models requires a whole new model and work from scratch maybe being able to use the know how and a few systems form the already developed air frame.

• Like 7

I have voted “yes”, however I think the cost of subsequent model variations should be discounted. If say $60 for the initial subtype, then each other subtype you purchase the price comes down. Maybe $25 for each different version - for example ones where the airframe itself as well as systems change.

But (!), I would literally sell my kids to go stooging around in the FGR2 again! 😈

• Like 6

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Yes, absolutely no brainer.

Well, so long as the cost is reasonable, I think what @garyscott proposed is the best solution, whereby you pay full price for one variant, then subsequent variants are discounted.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I absolutely want variants of modules in DCS, as has been done with the F-14, L-39, and C-101. Choosing between the F-4 B/C/E/J/K/M/S is hard enough, and then there are all the less well known versions like the ICE. The F-4 specifically may not become my most flown aircraft in DCS (I prefer single seaters) but I think I'd at least go for a Navy and Air Force version if it was released. I'd also be interested in comparing the US powered versions with the UK ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

10 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

I'd also be interested in comparing the US powered versions with the UK ones.

FG.1 & FGR.2 are faster at low level than the US counterparts, and have faster acceleration. Spool up is a little quicker too.

US versions are generally faster up high, as the engines function better at altitude than the Speys. Also the fuselage is a little slimmer than the Spey UK.

But down below 15K ft.? FGR.2 any day of the week. Brute power - Olympic acceleration - faster throttle response - quite powerful radar set.

Above 20K ft.? If I were to stay up there - then maybe a 'J' or an 'S'.

But here's where I likely upset one or twelve of you - I would never have a long nose Phantom if there was a choice . . . . 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 5

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

52 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes, absolutely no brainer.

Well, so long as the cost is reasonable, I think what @garyscott proposed is the best solution, whereby you pay full price for one variant, then subsequent variants are discounted.

The amount paid could probably be directly linked to how much of a change the variant you wish to purchase has compared to the initial release variant.

Could maybe mimic the variant progression of the actual airframe - but maybe start at the 'C' version - since that is the system and airframe general start point of all following types.

Say $25 for a drastic change, like long from short nose (say F-4E/F or G). Down to say $10-15 for a minimum airframe change, but systems change only.

The 'A' was still a work in progress - even the airframe mold line was vastly different, whereas the 'B' was changing virtually every 8th or 10th airframe!.

Edited by garyscott
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, upyr1 said:

A lot of folks have been trying to limit the F-4 models down to the J and E how ever the real question is how many of us do you think would buy other variants

Following my post in the other thread, I think the J and the E are pretty much baseline.  If you can do early and late E variants, I think you'd get a lot of support from those who don't care about early versions.  Following that, I'd like a K or M.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garyscott said:

I have voted “yes”, however I think the cost of subsequent model variations should be discounted. If say $60 for the initial subtype, then each other subtype you purchase the price comes down. Maybe $25 for each different version - for example ones where the airframe itself as well as systems change.

But (!), I would literally sell my kids to go stooging around in the FGR2 again! 😈

I couldn't agree more. I think it would make sense base the price on how much work is actually done. So the closer to versions are the deeper the discount. 

3 hours ago, garyscott said:

I wish that would be on many other modules. But to provide the income for all the hard work that goes to first variant, that is the most time consuming, that the first one would be the "base" model. And if any other variant is wanted to be purchased, one needs to own that "base" first. So it would be impossible to buy the latest variant straight, but would require to own at least the first one at full price.

Then it could be like:

$79 for base variant

$29 for a slightly improved variant or even slightly older variant.

$39 for a heavily improved cockpit variant with some changes to flight modeling etc.

So the prices for each variant can be changed depending the level of the work is required to be done. This way we could see lots of even $9.99 or $19.99 variants that has something small changed, to just allow income for supporting the original module development. As there should be many modules that has those small changes done in the war time or so on, that are not so big that they would be major upgrades.

I do not like the idea that it would be like "if you own any variant previously, then you get discount coupon for all other modules" as it doesn't make it easy and it doesn't support the work to make extra variants as many would just buy the latest one and be happy, while in other version the developers could start with older variant and then later on offer to purchase newer more advanced variants.

What comes to F-4 in this case, the base model could be example the one early Vietnam like F-4B. And then one for middle of the cold war like F-4D, and then one extra as F-4E and of course offer F-4G and F-4J as last one.  (No, I don't know what differences those have, just picked up some with large production numbers from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II_variants)

Would I purchase all of them? You bet....

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

9 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

I wish that would be on many other modules. But to provide the income for all the hard work that goes to first variant, that is the most time consuming, that the first one would be the "base" model. And if any other variant is wanted to be purchased, one needs to own that "base" first. So it would be impossible to buy the latest variant straight, but would require to own at least the first one at full price.

That's kinda what I meant lol. 😄

Other variants/sex changes can be purchased at a reduced rate, however you must own the initial release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

I absolutely want variants of modules in DCS, as has been done with the F-14, L-39, and C-101. Choosing between the F-4 B/C/E/J/K/M/S is hard enough, and then there are all the less well known versions like the ICE. The F-4 specifically may not become my most flown aircraft in DCS (I prefer single seaters) but I think I'd at least go for a Navy and Air Force version if it was released. I'd also be interested in comparing the US powered versions with the UK ones.

The introduction of historical mode makes multiple versions of any module quite desirable.

• Like 1

I would buy E version along with a naval version

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

4 hours ago, Baco said:

I would be willing to buy variants of any plane. I understand that Modules are not easy or cheap to make and even a few shape differences and different models requires a whole new model and work from scratch maybe being able to use the know how and a few systems form the already developed air frame.

As I said before I would like a discount based on the work done. If the difference between block a and block b is adding an existing targeting pod via copy and paste that should be free or at least really cheap. 

8 minutes ago, ebabil said:

I would buy E version along with a naval version

Which naval version the J?

1 minute ago, upyr1 said:

Which naval version the J?

doesn't matter J or K

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

1 hour ago, garyscott said:

The amount paid could probably be directly linked to how much of a change the variant you wish to purchase has compared to the initial release variant.

Could maybe mimic the variant progression of the actual airframe - but maybe start at the 'C' version - since that is the system and airframe general start point of all following types.

Say $25 for a drastic change, like long from short nose (say F-4E/F or G). Down to say $10-15 for a minimum airframe change, but systems change only.

The 'A' was still a work in progress - even the airframe mold line was vastly different, whereas the 'B' was changing virtually every 8th or 10th airframe!.

Sounds like a great idea to me :thumbup:

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, ebabil said:

doesn't matter J or K

Since the k is British we would need an hms carrier and other Royal navy assets.  

3 hours ago, bies said:

Yes, long nose had teeny-tiny radar

But they had an internal gun or good rwr to compensate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Triple-R said:

Following my post in the other thread, I think the J and the E are pretty much baseline.  If you can do early and late E variants, I think you'd get a lot of support from those who don't care about early versions.  Following that, I'd like a K or M.  

Then you have people like me who at least want the D as well.

Yes on multiple variants. Pricing... not really an issue for me as long as they are similar to other full fidelity modules. There are significant differences between many of the variants. There are certain types where the airframes and systems and flight dynamics are very similar like the F-4B/C and F-4E/F. I'm not really that interested in the B/C/F airframes although I would probably get them anyway. I'll take an F-4D, F-4E, F-4E DMAS/ARN-101, F-4G Wild Weasel, F-4J and F-4S. Oh, and if they get the mechanics for ISR gameplay sorted out out then the RF-4B/C as well. 

• Like 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"