Light issue

gcrimmins

HI all,

Hope this is the right place to post, can't see an english sub forum for support.

All the lights in game are extremely washed out and sometimes redundant. An example would be the night mission in the F16 Red Flag, the vegas city lights are almost non existent. Changing the gamma doesn't work either, this affects cockpit lighting too. It works great at night but dusk or dawn it just is very weak.

Any ideas or tweaks to code i could do?

• Like 1

You do screenshots by pressing PrtScn key in DCS. The images are created in %userprofile%\saved games\dcs\screenshots

PNG files can be big, so open in MS Paint and save as JPG - upload those to the forum post.

By gfx settings I meant your current graphics settings in DCS like this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/uploads/monthly_2021_01/DCS.thumb.PNG.dadb4521b5598a591441c8f6cce8f199.PNG

and any settings you might have changed from default in your gfx driver and control panel.

Sharing your system specifications might help too.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

One thing I would do - Turn off all the bells and whistles in DCS Settings - Set all graphics to low (keep your correct Resolution of course), but turn everything else to off or low.

Now take a look at it all.  Then start turning things higher, and On as you go up, seeing how things change.  Also, there should be HUD lighting dials to turn up the brightness of your HUD.  I don't have the F-14 module, so couldn't tell you where it is.

The lighting in this game can be kind of harsh (i.e. realistic).  So, you might want to change things with your graphics card and monitor settings as well till you get what you want.

Edited by 3WA

@3WA

Hey man thanks for writing back to me. I will try the DCS Settings for sure. Been flying the cat for a few years now and it seems to be a newer issue for me with all my planes. Awful ground lighting and cockpit lighting. No idea why, it is insanely frustrating. One of my favourite things in the 18 used to be cranking up those beautiful green lights all the way and they just look so washed out now.

How does the resolution work? That's not something I have ever played with or know anything about. Be keen to hear about that

2 hours ago, gcrimmins said:

@3WA

How does the resolution work? That's not something I have ever played with or know anything about. Be keen to hear about that

Resolution is just like 1080p or 4K.  You want to keep that the same as whatever is native for your monitor.

The rest of the settings you can fool with.  You might also try different light settings on your monitor.  Mine has about 6 different view settings.

And yeah, your screenshots look normal to me as well.  You need to just turn up the brightness on your hud.  If you look into the DCS Sun and it looks bright, then it's right.

It's faded looking at times, because of strong sunlight.  It washes out everything, just like IRL.  Turn your plane until you get strong shadows, and you'll see the console lights glow brightly.

I have mine on all low settings right now, with all graphics effects off, so I don't get any of that.  It's kind of all the same lighting (cartoonish).

Things may have changed, because they changed something in the graphics driver update.  I've had that happen to me.  Drove me crazy for a while, until I managed to adjust it all back to what I wanted.  Had to change my monitor setting in the end from "Standard" to "Theater".  That worked well.

Edited by 3WA

@3WA@draconus

If you see the lights on this post in VR, the differences are evident. Can't get any of the red to show at day which is the reason to believe that maybe i screwed up settings somewhre

@3WA@draconus

If you see the lights on this post in VR, the differences are evident. Can't get any of the red to show at day which is the reason to believe that maybe i screwed up settings somewhre

49926338771_c6b428f547_o.png

The pics are from May 2020 - there were a lot of light changes in DCS back then. Also did you turn your instrument lights wheel to the max? It's #9 here:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#master-light-control-panel

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria