The 20201118 software has a serious axis bug

Bear21

Have a CM2 stick and throttle and finally the ACE pedals. After updating to the 20201118 software (to calibrate the Virpil ACE pedals replacing CH Products) some axis started behaving strangely. The RAW values from the Flaps lever changed after a short USB disconnect/reconnect to reconfigure, making it unusable (it had the lowest value about 2/3 through and logical value was 0% or 100%), then the radar elevation axis disappeared gradually and finally yesterday my stick pitch axis went crazy like the Flap one after a USB disconnect/reconnect. Nothing helps, not recalibration or any other changes. Reloading the 20201118 firmware doesn't help either.

It's all a Zero calibration bug in the 20201118 software! Just update to 20210102, recalibrate and things turn normal. Funny there is not a more explicit warning on the Virpil website. I though I had hardware problems initially, as it's the Raw axis values that gets affected. Except for this rather serious bug I'm very happy with the Virpil stuff, quality and feel is top.

Now a tip: For CM2 throttle users, you can make a simple burner push through detent with a piece of wood and two ballscrews (M4*12, available at amazon). See photo (picture when checking out the function, has araldite glued it since). Yes it scratches the paint on the throttle levers but it doesn't bother me, it's metal below the paint and it's not affected. Have got the CM3 throttle now but in no hurry to change, the burner detents functions just fine. It's a fixed detent but this is easily adjusted with the axis curves.

CM2 throttle detent.jpg

Edited by Bear21

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

Not sure why you would be using the November software anyway.  It had issues. The January one you are now using is pretty solid.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

16 minutes ago, imacken said:

Not sure why you would be using the November software anyway.  It had issues. The January one you are now using is pretty solid.

I had the 20201118 installed before 20210102 so left that firmware and settings for the stick and throttle, no need to update unless you know there are bugs. There were no posts about this rather grave bug (axis go unusable or disappear) what I could see, nor did Virpil actively tell you to upgrade. 

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

Personally, I don't agree with the 'no need to update if everything is OK' type approach.   There are regular updates and extra functionality in current versions that would be a shame to miss.  But, the two camps exist, and I guess they always will!

Purely a personal preference, but I always update to the latest version, especially - like in this case of VPC software - there is an easy route back.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Personally, I don't agree with the 'no need to update if everything is OK' type approach.   There are regular updates and extra functionality in current versions that would be a shame to miss.  But, the two camps exist, and I guess they always will!

Purely a personal preference, but I always update to the latest version, especially - like in this case of VPC software - there is an easy route back.

Well, the "always update " philosophy got me into the mess, I had stick and throttle working perfectly on 20200325, then updated to 20201118 in anticipation of the pedals. Got into this bug and also that the IDs changed so my mappings for 15 DCS modules were gone. Also couldn't reload my 20200325 Virpil profiles as the 20201118 changes to XML profile files. A total mess for no good. I won't upgrade from now unless forced.

Edited by Bear21

Yep, as I said, VPC has an easy route back if something is not good, in this case back to the March version for you. So, no harm done in updating.

Yes, easy, but a bit of a pain having to re-configure. Still, no lasting damage.  Particularly good now with XML files as they are interchangeable with older/newer versions that support it.

Re DCS, your mappings aren't gone, you just need to Import the old profile for each module.  Bit of a pain, but half an hour to do the lot.

Edited by imacken