Which graphics card for 1080p?

Hi All

I am looking to upgrade my nvidia gtx 960 and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I will be using 1080p as my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I will want to run at high graphics but allow for a lot more with ever demanding multiplayer campaigns.

I am running most at high settings at the moment but as soon as I put more 3xplosions etc into my missions, that's when it falls flat.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Edited by tmansteve

I had quite good results running a 1070 at 1080p . Noticeably smoother than the 3gb 1060 i previously ran , and i was able to run both 2x msaa and 1.5 ssaa , which killed the sparklies , shimmering etc . 

A 1660 ti  , a rx 5700 , or a 2060 should be ok as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

1070 here. High settings, 1080p. When I run SSAA 1.5 I've got around 40-45 fps. When I use MSAA 4x I am able to have 60+fps almost every time. And for your information you do not have to run MSAA and SSAA at the same time. Just choose one, because they are two different technologies doing the same.

And you should choose a GPU with a minimum of 8GB VRAM.

Edited by Arikaj

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to get as much vram as possible. At the mo, I haven't been able to run MSAA or SSAA at all. I was looking at the nvidia 20 series and was unsure if it was overkill, but still have to look to the future of dcs as well.

I now have a benchmark to look at.

Many thanks

The 20 series isn't overkill at all. After 2.7 the min req will be a 1070 because of 8GB VRAM. So I would say definetly go for a card like 1080ti with 11GB of VRAM or other 20 series card with enough VRAM if you are willing to spend so much

Edited by Arikaj

I have to disagree with parts of  what you say here . I (and others) had no issue running 1.5 ssaa and 2x msaa-@ 60 hz , maintaining vsync and thus keeping TrackIr micro-stutter free , as well as having a sharper picture than using msaa alone , which blurs the picture .

I do think the 8gb vram is good advice , although i never tried 6 .

1 hour ago, Arikaj said:

1070 here. High settings, 1080p. When I run SSAA 1.5 I've got around 40-45 fps. When I use MSAA 4x I am able to have 60+fps almost every time. And for your information you do not have to run MSAA and SSAA at the same time. Just choose one, because they are two different technologies doing the same.

And you should choose a GPU with a minimum of 8GB VRAM.

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

14 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

The best I personally used for 1080p was an Nvidia 2060 super or an AMD 5700xt. DCS ran super smooth at high/ultra settings with decent power usage on both graphics cards. That was using a 1080p screen @ 60fps with Vsync.

Same here.

I purchasedf my 1080 as a stop gap but I am more than happy with its performances in VR as well, of course it is not comparible with one of the newer GPUs but works pretty well in most situation.

30 minutes ago, tmansteve said:

I will be looking at 8 or 11gig but nothing is in stock at the moment. Lets hope they start soon. There are so many choices out there it's a minefield

Since you're in the UK consider CEX and a second hand 1080Ti, just make sure it is the 11GB model, CEX will buy back the one you have, best even exchange it for vouchers when you buy the 1080, they guanranty them for 2 years...

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sgranvi1080tigtx11gb&categoryName=graphics-cards-pci-e&superCatName=computing&title=nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-gddr5x

Mine was basically brand new, installed and ran first thing without any issues and O.C using Afterburner reasonably well.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hi TmanSteve.

Dude I just had a browse around on eBay. With things the way they are its obviously not ideal. A 1080ti will be from £500 upwards and a 2060 super is about £450 upwards. As far as AMD 5700xt's go just forget it. You would have to be clinically mad to buy a used one for £750. I took a stroll through the sold listings for this month. I use to run a 2060 super on a 1080p screen on high settings and it ran at 60fps ie vsync without a problem. I went through every retailer I trust and they have nothing at the moment. A boxed example from a seller with good feedback is the only option at the moment sadly. Unless something comes in at CEX. 

If you really want one. Keep checking CEX like Thinder suggested. Or snipe a badly timed listing on eBay. Ive stayed up till stupid hours to get a bargain before.

My 1070 is worth more now than i paid for it new ...too bad a grandson called dibs on it !